Fish you have/had kept but wouldnt keep again

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have two fish that I have keep, both 20 years ago and never want to keep again.
Orbicularist Bat and Sixline wrasse.
Once I have a little knowledge, I am very selective in what fish I put into my tank.
The Batfish was such a beautiful baby that quickly out grow and my tank as an ugly adult. The Sixline pair that I keep are such mean fish. They attacked and blinded my female Mandarin and leave her starve to death. Once they pecked her eyes out in coordinated attack in a few second, right in front of me, they completely ignored her. If that is not calculated murder, I don't know what is. They were coordinated, one go for one eye and the second one the other eye within seconds of each other. This is in a 420 gal DT. Both pairs, the Sixline and Mandarin, were fat and there were plenty of food for all 4 fishes. The Mandarin pair were spawning regularly. I cann't tell if the Sixline were breeding or not, but it would not surprised me if they were.

Last edited:

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lot of hate for damsels here! I have a trio of azures, 2 ocellaris clowns, and a green chromis.

None of them bother anyone.

So far I can’t say I’ve had a fish that I will never have again.

I have traded or gave away fish cause the didn’t fit well, but none so bad that I would say never again.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
flame angel. That fish is a jerk.

Triggers. I had female blue throat take out a male nope never again. She also took out a dwarf lion

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol a lot of my favorite fish made this list!

I once had a sixline wrasse, never again.
Same here. A lot of my favorite fishes are on other reefer's post that they would never keep again.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any dwarf angel. I know many people keep them without any coral issues but I've tried three times with three different species (flame, flameback, coral beauty) and they all ate coral.

But even worse than them, Tribal Blenny. He maimed several of my corals including a big chilli pepper monti. Hardest fish to catch I've ever had.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly either hyper-aggressive fish like the sohal tang or damsels in the dascyllus genus; or those that are essentially impossible to maintain like Tuka anthias (or for me the quoyi parrotfish).

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lot of hate for damsels here! I have a trio of azures, 2 ocellaris clowns, and a green chromis.

None of them bother anyone.

Agreed. Damsels are some of my favorite fish in my tanks. People that hate them didn’t do research and chose the wrong types.

For fish I wouldn’t keep again I’ll say asfur angel. Too mean. Then probably red spot cardinals. Amazing fish but they just don’t seem to last.

Fotocha

I have nightmares of jumping fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see here is my list:

Flame Angel-Aggressive Butthead and Coral Nipper
Yellow Tang-Aggressive Butthead
Snowflake Ocellaris Clownfish-Bully to smaller fish
Red Head Salon Fairy Wrasse-One of the most aggressive fish I have owned and I have seen examples of aggression from every other one I have seen at my various LFS
Firefish/Dartfish-Too timid and spend too much time hiding for my tastes. My Purple Firefish was a bully magnet (with 3 of the 4 aggressive fish picking it as their number one target)
Diamond Watchman Goby-Great Fish but I went through 2 of them in 2 tanks in an 18 month period and I don't miss the sand storm effect in my tank
Green Mandarin-Gorgeous Fish and unique but despite my best efforts and a ridiculous amount of money spent it starved to death in 3 months. If I am feeling adventurous I might try a spotted at some point in the future.

Good call I was going to buy a Red Headed Salon Wrasse. Thanks for the close call

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call I was going to buy a Red Headed Salon Wrasse. Thanks for the close call
I had a red head, he was a model citizen, he jumped... but he was great before that, beautiful fish, i’d get another.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me; no 6lines, no angels, no damsels besides Rolands or Talbots, no diamond gobys, no jawfish, no thalasomas, definitely no clowns, and my most recent unfortunately, no triggers, they eat way to much and really make nutrients difficult to manage when not in a monster tank.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back