Fish you will never keep... Nope Fish

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also surprised to see people calling blennies boring as they are generally regarded as one of the most personable fish. You could call them drab... But boring? Eh.

Not me, I love bleenies. I also have spawning 6 line wrasses and have for decades. Never found any problems with those either. :)

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to have a trigger or puffer, but afraid of what they'd do to my inverts or other fish

I have had 3 valentini puffers. The first a model citizen but it jumped. The 2nd began eating coral the first day and promptly went back to LFS. The 3rd ,which I still have, is a great fish. Bothers nothing and is beautiful to watch. I feed it nori out of my hand.

I also have a pair of Blue Throat triggers in another tank. No issues whatsoever. They have a lot of personality.

It may be somewhat of a gamble to go with these fish, but if you really want one, give it a try.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lionfish I love how they look, but I'm too clumsy for their stings

I've kept lions for 30 years, I have 3 venomous tanks, I got my 1st lion sting several moñths ago. Wasn't as bad as I feared.

The last time this thread came up, I put anglers on that list, now I'm considering one, but still leasing no. Yeah, I like fish most of you think are boring.

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me its Clownfish, i hate them with a passion, they dont serve a purpose, they dont have any character, they are not cute or have personality, they just hang around in a corner like a couple of drug sellers, they are just, well, just, probably put on this earth to annoy the hell out of me, i wish they HADN'T found nemo.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wrote this years ago, I forget where it was published - certainly not an exhaustive list, but the criteria used still stands up I think:

There are a number of freshwater and saltwater species that simply will not survive in a home aquarium"

A successful aquarium serves to beautify a home while at the same time revealing to the hobbyist various aspects of aquatic biology and animal husbandry that he or she would otherwise never have an opportunity to see. For some aquarists, however, probably too many, the hobby is simply a large hole into which they shovel money until a breaking point is reached.

Obviously, both groups of hobbyists set out to be successful aquarists. What, then, separates those who enjoy the hobby from those who despair of ever succeeding at it?

For those who are not successful, the reason most consistently given as the cause of dissatisfaction is the excessive loss of animals. The causes for losing an organism to unforeseen problems are varied and difficult to categorize. Virtually every article in this magazine offers information that will help aquarists eliminate the majority of typical problems that they are likely to encounter. Topics such as disease control, filtration techniques, nutrition and so on have all been examined thoroughly in past issues. The beginning hobbyist, having read and understood these articles, cannot help but be a more effective freshwater or marine aquarist.

There is, however, one area of the hobby that has not been examined in great detail in this magazine: The suitability of commonly sold species, in terms of relative hardiness and general behavior, for life in a home aquarium. It is unfortunate but true, for example, that some marine species commonly offered for sale are so demanding in their requirements that even advanced hobbyists have difficulty maintaining them in a home aquarium for any length of time. Other species grow too large or are unsuitable for any number of reasons.

To help you avoid those aquatic animals that are most likely to cause you trouble, I have assembled a catalog of species that beginning aquarists (and even intermediate aquarists) would do well to leave at the store. In constructing this list, I have drawn on my own personal experiences with these species, as well as reports gathered from other hobbyists around the country.

The format I have chosen for listing these species will help eliminate most of the potential flaws concerning blanket statements about aquatic animals and their relative abilities to adapt to the confines of a home aquarium.

Keep in mind that this is a negative, rather than a positive, list. In other words, unless an animal has a long history of doing poorly for many people, it is not included.

The animals are cataloged by scientific name in order to eliminate confusion over common names. To assist those who might not have access to the scientific name of the animal in question, some of the most common names are also given.

In the sidebar entitled "Reasons To Avoid" sidebars are at end of article are seven basic areas of concern. These are numbered. Each animal listed in the three sidebars "Marine Invertebrates," "Marine Fishes" and "Freshwater Fishes" has one or more of these numbers by its name, which can be used to determine what problems are most likely to be encountered when attempting to maintain that species in captivity.

There are a few species of animals that are listed not because they are difficult to maintain but rather because they are inappropriate for other reasons. For example, one reason might be that the exporting country has deemed the sale of the organism as being harmful to the health of wild populations. Some animals should be avoided due to their potential for causing harm to the aquarist, such as the extremely toxic stonefish. Fish that are likely to outgrow the confines of a home aquarium are also listed.

Two groups of people will take major exception to these three lists of animals to avoid. The first group consists of dealers who sell these species. The motives of dealers who routinely sell animals from these lists must be critically examined. After all, they are profiting from the sale of these species. In contrast, I have no motive for including a particular species on a list other than to prevent potential problems for hobbyists who inadvertently purchase these animals. I also wish to discourage the capture and sale of these species, which are almost doomed to an early death as a result of being kept in captivity.

The second group consists of hobbyists whose own experiences differ from those presented here. For hobbyists who have had consistent success with one or more of the delicate species listed here, you should give yourself a pat on the back! At the same time, perhaps you are not the typical hobbyist for whom these lists are intended.

It may also be that your dealer has a particularly good supplier for the species in question, better than what is considered the norm in other regions of the country. Concerning this, you should be aware that with saltwater species, not all marine fish of the same species are equal when it comes to condition.

It is well known to those in the business that marine fish suppliers grade their fish, and preferentially supply the better fish to particular dealers. This begins overseas, where collectors endeavor to sell their best fish to the staging station that offers the the best price. Those fish that are rejected are taken to a discount broker. The same practice continues in this country, where wholesalers hold their highest-quality fish for sale to their high-volume customers.

This process can even continue at the retail level. A pet shop owner would be foolish to sell a poor-quality fish to a long-time customer, whereas the same sale to a person they have never seen before might pose little problem. Suffice it to say that for a fish to make one of these lists, there is a high probability that its husbandry requirements are not at all routine and/or its life expectancy in a home aquarium is likely to be less than a year regardless of the care given it.

In summary, with these lists in hand, both the beginning and the experienced aquarist will be better able to choose animals for their tanks that have the best chance for survival. That is not to say, of course, that all of the species not listed here are therefore going to do well in home aquariums. There are many species, some of which are rarely seen, that are almost as demanding in their requirements as those listed here.

Any species, whether purchased in poor condition or kept in an overcrowded tank with poor water quality and given an incorrect diet, will live no longer than many of the "difficult" species noted in this article.

REASONS TO AVOID

1 = This species possesses one or more physical characteristics (e.g., toxins, teeth) that can be used to seriously injure or harm an aquarist. Extreme caution must be exercised when handling this animal.

2 = This species has extremely specific food requirements that are not possible to meet in the normal home fresh or salt aquarium. Specimens will generally starve to death once their energy reserves are exhausted.

3 = This species will often accept foods offered by the aquarist but still wastes away within a few months, probably as a result of the inability to assimilate the foods being offered.

4 = this species may exhibit characteristics of either of the two previous categories, but not to such an extreme degree. Certain individuals will adapt to long-term confinement.

5 = This species is less of a problem when it comes to feeding but is very demanding in terms of water quality and other physical requirements.

6 = This species is considered threatened or endangered in some of the countries of origin. As a result of these environmental concerns, this species should not be purchased.

7 = this species may be quite hardy but is capable of quickly outgrowing the largest of home aquarium.

FRESHWATER FISHES
Scientific NameCommon NameStatus
Arapaima gigasArapaima6,7
Osteoglossum ferrariBlack arowana4
Scleropages formosusAsian arowana6
ScorpienidaeButterfly "goby"1
Murenanidae"Freshwater" moray2
Channa sp.Snakeheads7
Sphaerichthys osphromenoidesChocolate gourami4
Osphronemus goramyGiant gourami7

MARINE INVERTEBRATES
ScleractiniaStony Corals5,6
ScyphozoansCassiopeia jellyfish5
CirripedsBarnacles4
Cyphoma gibbosumFlamingo tongue2
Conus sp.Cone shells1
Lima scabreFlame scallop3
NudibranchsSea slug2
Hapalochalaena maculosaBlue ring octopus1
CrinoidsFeather stars2,5

MARINE FISHES
Ginglymostoma cirratumNurse shark7
Triakis semifasciatusLeopard shark7
Taeniura lymmaBlue spot stingray1,4
Gymnura sp.Butterfly rays2
Taenioconger sp.Garden eels2,5
Rhinomuraena sp.Ribbon eels4
SynganathidsSea horses/Pipefish4
Synanceia verrucosaStonefish1
Hoplolatilus sp.Tilefish4
Gnathanodon speciosusBarred jack7
Plectorhinchus sp.Sweetlips4
Platax pinnatusOrange-rimmed batfish2
Chaetodon ocellatusAtlantic butterfly4
C. lavartusCoral butterfly2
C. triangulumCoral butterfly2
C. ornatissimusCoral butterfly2
C. trifasciatusCoral butterfly2
Chelmon rostratusCopperbanded butterfly4
Pygoplites diacanthusRegal angelfish2
Holocanthus tricolorRock beauty angelfish3
Apolemichthys arcuatusBandit angelfish2
Anampses meleagridesGuinea fowl wrasse2
Labroides sp.Cleaner wrasse4
Zanclus canescensmoorish idol5
Siganus sp.Rabbitfish1
Oxymonacanthus longirostrisOrange spot filefish2

Jay

Peng1606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bullet goby... only because he is about 5+ inches and is a terror to any other type of goby/sand sifter despite being in 10’ x 3’ tank with lots of sand etc. he has killed several gobies or starved them out because he wouldn’t let them out to feed. Can’t catch him in my tank.
Also Fiji blue devil damsel... like the name, it really is a terror. Had a few years ago in a 90 gallon and first they killed each other until one was left... then it decided to terrorize everything else in the tank including fish more than twice it’s size.
Also like the looks of powder blue, clown and achilles tang but hear about all the terror stories. Once in my tank is very hard to catch and can’t exactly drain 650 gallons and remove rocks weighing 40-60 lbs each to catch anything.

SebastianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to have a trigger or puffer, but afraid of what they'd do to my inverts or other fish
I have a blue niger trigger love the guy such personality I have a red banned coral shrimp a fire shrimp and two harlequins and he doesn’t bother them or my coral but I do run a high nutrient system and multiple feedings

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say I might have two and not because I don't like them but only because of potential disease issues. Chromis due to their propensity to get urenoma and blue hippos.

There are probably a few others given their dietary needs or just the fact they rarely survive. Moorish Idol would be one off the top of my mind.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few 'never fish' for me are the larger triggerfishes (Undulated, Queen, Bursa). They get too large and are physically dangerous to keep. There are also several large angels that I would have no interest in keeping (specifically the Regal), for several reasons (ironically, pygmy angels are one of my favorite groups of fish!).
There are several wrasses that would be a No-No for me (dragon, harlequin tusk) as they would decimate my invertebrate populations too fast.
Maroon clowns are another no-no for me, for reasons most owners of the fish will understand. Chromis are also unlikely (unless for food) as are the larger damselfish species. I would consider keeping some of the smaller damsels though.

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its interesting to hear others experience. i have a 4" clown trigger in my stuffed 150 mixed reef. I have lps, sps, anemones, two large clams, starfish, cleaner shrimp, hermits, snails. only thing he has touched is a snail that fell upside on the sand. Now, he did kill it, and he does guard the algae clip, but otherwise, he has been fine. I do have a fish trap at the ready if he goes rogue on me.
Are you positive he's not the one that turned him over in the sand?
Hummmm....... :oops:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For whatever reason, there are fish that just make us say nope. Aggression, fragility, bad luck, just plain ugly, etc...A great big ole pile of nope.

What is your "nope fish" and why?

Mine are the eared eel blenny or wolf eel and the yellow damselfish.

The wolf eel was one of my first predatory fish. From the start, the fish just gave me the creeps. Vicious and ugly, with a face that looks like an old thug mobster... lazy until times called for violence... that one specimen put me off and I have never desired to keep another one.

The Yellow Damsel I picked up as a kid, while i was learning about the hobby, was the first fish introduced to my 75 gallon aquarium. Alone, it was personable and interactive...always seemed to greet me when i came into my room. And then i decided to add more fish. I had always loved huma huma triggers and my mother picked up a small one. In the tank it went and the yellow damsel did what damsels do...bullied the equal sized trigger constantly. Woke up the morning after introducing the fish only to find it finless and near death...the yellow damsel making harassing passes at the little thing while it attempted to hide behind the heater. I caught out the little trigger and put it in my Q tank but it was too far gone. I tried then to find something that could hold its own and possibly eat the yellow monster...a lionfish came to mind. I got one that was definitely large enough to eat the damsel...but like david and goliath, the smaller fighter felled the giant...this time before it was beaten to death, i pulled the lionfish out and held it in my Q tank until i could convert a 45 tall that i had for the lion. I tried an eel, an undulated trigger, a grouper...all repelled and beaten by the 2 inch long yellow tyrant. Ultimately i had to break down the tank and catch the critter out before i could add anything else. I swore never again.

Cheers!
Ha - I found another "fish list" that I had developed, this is a bit more comprehensive than the other one I posted this morning. I had forgotten about this. I did remember that Dr. Carlson had told me about Exallias blennies never living, so I ran a search in Word through my fish disease book and found this!

There are some species of marine fish that are more delicate, or that adapt poorly to captivity no matter their source. The following tables identify most of these “poor doers” that are currently found in the trade. While there certainly are some exceptions, do not use them as an excuse to acquire these fish in the vain hope that you'll "get lucky". The people who succeed with these species are proactive and are usually advanced hobbyists.

Scientific Name
Common Name

Anampses sp. Tamarin wrasse
Aspidontus sp. False cleaner fish
Centropyge (Paracentropyge) boylei Peppermint angelfish
Chaetodon austriacus Exquisite butterflyfish
C. baronessa Triangular butterflyfish
C. melapterus Arabian butterflyfish
C. meyeri Meyer’s butterflyfish
C. ornatissimus Clown butterflyfish
C. triangulum Triangle butterflyfish
C. trifasciatus Red-fin butterflyfish
Exallias brevis Leopard blenny
Labroides phthirophagus Hawaiian cleaner wrasse
Macropharyngodon sp. Ornate wrasse (getting better over time)
Plagiotremus sp. Mimic blenny
Pseudanthias pascalis Forktail anthias
Solenostomus spp. Ghost pipefish
Stethojulis spp. Orange shoulder Wrasse
Marine fishes that almost never survive past the year mark in closed system aquariums

Scientific Name
Common Name
Centropyge (Paracentropyge) multifasciatus Many banded angelfish
Chaetodon citrinellus Citron butterflyfish
C. lavartus Masked butterflyfish
C. reticulatus Reticulated butterflyfish
Doryrhamphus sp. Banded pipefish
Holocanthus tricolor Rock beauty angelfish
Gorgasia preclara Gold-banded garden eel (ok if handled properly)
Ostracion sp. Boxfish
Oxymonacanthus longirostris Orange-spot filefish (getting better with these lately)
Platax pinnatus Red-rimmed batfish (tank-raised are now available and do better)
Pseudanthias tuka Tuka anthias
Pygoplites diacanthus Regal angelfish (Except Red Sea)
Rhinomuraena quaesita Ribbon eel
Scarus sp. Parrotfish
Zanclus canescens Moorish idol

Marine fish that rarely survive past the year mark in typical closed system aquariums

Scientific Name
Common Name
Chromodoris, Phyllidia & related sp. Nudibranchs
Dendronephthya (Roxasia) sp. Soft coral
Goniopora sp. Flowerpot coral
Hapalochlaena sp. Blue ringed octopus
Iodictyum sp. Lace bryozoan
Lamprometra and related spp. Crinoids
Lima sp. Flame scallop
Pseudocolochirus violaceus Sea Apple
Spondylus sp. Thorny oyster
Trikentrion flabelliforme with Zoanthid Red spider sponge
Invertebrates that rarely survive past the year mark in closed system aquariums.

Jay

Kal93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mystery wrasse, though small (1.5-2"), is a nightmare; he killed all of my shrimp and fish.

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My Atlantic blue tang. Ugly fella and harasses my sailfin tang everyday. Downright mean!!! I hate bullies. Not happening in my tank...

What he does not know is that this is last week for him in my tank. Will be emptying my tank to catch and sump him. Anyone who has seen my 350 gallon, knows that this is a serious commitment. While I am at it, will change the aquascape as well.

sam

TooMuchDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me its Clownfish, i hate them with a passion, they dont serve a purpose, they dont have any character, they are not cute or have personality, they just hang around in a corner like a couple of drug sellers, they are just, well, just, probably put on this earth to annoy the hell out of me, i wish they HADN'T found nemo.
We felt the same way about ours until they started living in the gigantea anemone. Now my girlfriend thinks they're the cutest thing ever

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We felt the same way about ours until they started living in the gigantea anemone. Now my girlfriend thinks they're the cutest thing ever
She wont think that when she puts her hand in the tank and they draw blood ;Inpain

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Atlantic blue tang. Ugly fella and harasses my sailfin tang everyday. Downright mean!!! I hate bullies. Not happening in my tank...

What he does not know is that this is last week for him in my tank. Will be emptying my tank to catch and sump him. Anyone who has seen my 350 gallon, knows that this is a serious commitment. While I am at it, will change the aquascape as well.

sam

How big is yours? Mine about 6-8 inches and he’s a model citizen. Gets along with my two other tangs great. I’m wondering if I should be concerned. Lol

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back