FishBase maximum sizes- How accurate?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In compare to most other reefers, my fish grew very fast and big. After about 4 years, my 2 inches PBT grew from 2 inches to 7.5, maybe 8 inches. Purple tang grew from 1.25 (body was the size of the nickle) to 5 inches, and my Yellow tang grew from 1.25 to about 4.5 inches. I think these three fish only going to grow minimally more. My tank is a 320 gal tank. I got a Fox face Lo a month or so ago. He already grew 1/2 inches from 2 to 2.5. I also have a pair of Regal angel that only grew from 1.5 to 3 inches over the last 4 years.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. However will this reduction in growth lead to diseases and shortened lifespans etc?
This is hard to say for sure. I know a friend, @outerbank , who has a Yellow tang that have been in captivity since 1994 or so. My friend moved from San Antonio to Corpus Christi, then to the Dallas area. A few months ago, I saw this Yellow tang. He is smaller than my 4 yo Yellow tang, I only estimate Outerbank yellow tank to be about 3.5 inches, but fat and healthy. He also have a pair of tank raise Ocellaris that is about 30 years old that is still spawn regularly. This pair was one of the earliest local tank raise Ocelarist in San Antonio.
By all account, this tang is stunned in growth. However, he is fat, perfectly proportioned. I am sure that he have live longer than any tang that spend all their live in the wild, and live longer than 99.99% of Yellow tangs in captivity. I am sure there are Yellow tang out there in captivity that have live longer than this one, but it would be hard press for us to find one.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is an awesome fish keeper indeed. 26 years is amazing. Does he happen to be TiimFish on Reef Central?

What do you think of Acanthurus Tang like the Mimic Lemon Peel? How big can they get?
No, he is @outerbank on both here and RC.
I had a Mimic tang in the early 2000. The do get big. Mine reach about 8-9 inches without the streamer. One think I don't like about Mimic tang is it's adult coloration is not bright. It is dirty orange/yellow. They do need large tank. My tank was a 420 gal at the time and he paced the front of the tank all day. IMO, most of the fish with crescent caudal tail, and especially those with streamers are opens water fish. IMO, tangs with crescent tails do better in very large tanks.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. You’re doing really well. Has the Magnificent Foxface grown past 8”? How many years have you had it?

I've had it about 5-6 years I think and it was about 2" when I got it. It's still growing i think but slowly. 8" is a guess at its current size. I don't really monitor the length and as I see it everyday it's hard to see if it's still going to get much bigger.
All its problems in the beginning don't seem to have hampered it much though.

outerbank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, he is @outerbank on both here and RC.
I had a Mimic tang in the early 2000. The do get big. Mine reach about 8-9 inches without the streamer. One think I don't like about Mimic tang is it's adult coloration is not bright. It is dirty orange/yellow. They do need large tank. My tank was a 420 gal at the time and he paced the front of the tank all day. IMO, most of the fish with crescent caudal tail, and especially those with streamers are opens water fish. IMO, tangs with crescent tails do better in very large tanks.
The yellow tang is about 5 inches. The fish was bought in 1994. Hasn't grown much in nearly 20 years. Spent first 5 or 6 years in a 100 gallon tank and that tank stunted his growth. Current tank is 72x30x30 inch. IME, most large fish seem to begin to stunt after 3-4 years in their tanks. Smaller fish will grow close to maximum size if the tank is sufficient. My going on 28 year old Ocellaris female clown is about 4 inches and the male about 3 inches. The 2 clowns were bought together in 1993 and were tank raised by a hobbiest. YT pictures from today.
D356E962-C139-428E-810B-AEB77F1ACC36.jpeg
F39E75E5-0A28-489F-82DA-EED35236A253.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve looked through some of my books written by the following authors: Warren E. Burgess, Rudie H. Kuiter (and Hiroyuki Tanaka- think that’s his name), and Scott W. Michael.

Yellow Tang:
FishBase- 20cm (8”)
Burgess- 15cm (6”)
Kuiter- 20cm (8”)
Michael- 20cm (8”)
Fenner- 20cm (8”)

Purple Tang:
FishBase- 36cm (14”) Common Length: 10cm (4”)
Burgess- 22cm (8.8”)
Kuiter- 25cm (10”)
Michael- 25cm (10”)
Fenner- 22cm (8.8”)

Scopas Tang:
FishBase- 40cm (16”) Common Length: Not given
Burgess- 16cm (6.4”)
Kuiter- 20cm (8”)
Michael- 20cm (8”)
Fenner- Not given

Fox Face:
FishBase- 25cm (10”) Common Length: 20cm (8”)
Burgess- 19cm (7.8”)
Kuiter- 24cm (9.8”)
Michael- 25cm (10”)
Fenner- Not given

Mimic Lemonpeel Tang:
FishBase- 30cm (12”) Common Length: Not given
Burgess- 19cm (7.8”)
Kuiter- 20cm (8”)
Michael- 25cm (10”)
Fenner- 25cm (10”)

I don’t know if these sizes are the biggest that these authors / collectors have personally collected (from the wild), but judging from all the responses given here for these fish maybe anywhere from 5-8” for Zebrasoma Tangs (even after many years), 6-8” for the Fox Face, maybe 6-8” for the Mimic sounds reasonable long term.

I ordered a few books by Jack Randall and I’ll see what he says.

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kuiter is the only one that seems to point to the “unclear relationship between Z. Flavescens and Z. Scopas and Z. Rostratum.”

Regarding the Blue Tang Kuiter and Burgess both give a maximum length of 26cm (10.4”) but Kuiter notes that the Indo-Pacific variety usually tops out at 8” (20cm).

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that my fish seem to be about the same as what Scott Michael wrote, especially the Fox Face Lo and the One spot Foxface
Of the 5 fish you mention, the only fish I have not keep was the Scopas Tang.
There are many reasons why fish in Captivity do not reach their potential size. Healthy, well fed fish that are keep in larger tanks (like mine) tend to most likely reach their potential. I do think that I provide very good condition for my fish.

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do feel that Scott Michael give accurate potential size of aquarium specimens under good care with adequate space.
IMO, inadequate tank size will stunt the grow of aquarium fish. Except for a few small fishes, aquarium fishes will never reach the size of their wild counterparts

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. For the bigger fish I mentioned especially Fox Face, Purple Tang would they be stunted in a 125 (almost 6 foot long). And would the stunted growth lead to shortened lifespan and health issues in most cases?

Do you feel your PBT and Fox Face will grow above 7.5-8”?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. For the bigger fish I mentioned especially Fox Face, Purple Tang would they be stunted in a 125 (almost 6 foot long). And would the stunted growth lead to shortened lifespan and health issues in most cases?

Do you feel your PBT and Fox Face will grow above 7.5-8”?
I don't think not reaching maximal size (within reason, can't stick a Yellow tang in a 10 gal and expect him to have a normal life) have any impact on longevity or how nice the fish looks. I have a friend with a very beautiful yellow tang that is 4-5 inches that is 25+ year old.
My Once spot Fox Face and PBT was 8 inches when I lost them due to Hurricane Harvey. Somebody hut off my generator after the hurricane or else they would have been fine. I lost my 20+ year old, 28 inches T. gigas in the same tank crash. My Purple tang was only 5 inches. All of these fish are at least 7 years in captivity and all started as tiny fishes. I often get fish that are as small as I can find. I don't think Purple Tang will get anywhere near as large and Fox Face or PBT. Purple Tang will be a little larger than Yellow tang. These are the smallest of the Zebrasoma tangs.

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that’s really good to know and so sorry for your losses. That must have been really sad especially when you keep them for a long time. Your friend Outerbank is amazing. He told me he also has Flame Hawk (13 years), Regal Angel (11 years, I will ask him how big), and Ocellaris pair for 28 years almost (female 4”).

So what is your expected maximum size for the Foxface and PBT? Would you say 8 inches is about as big as they will grow?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back