Fishing eel out of small area in overflow.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im at the pia juvie stage. Well my little eel made its way into the little area with the slits in the overflow. Some tanks have a removable front plate. Mine however does not. How in the world do you get them out in the little area? I've tried luring with food, fishing out with ro line, fiberglass rod, and my tongs won't fit. It's been 3 days now

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im at the pia juvie stage. Well my little eel made its way into the little area with the slits in the overflow. Some tanks have a removable front plate. Mine however does not. How in the world do you get them out in the little area? I've tried luring with food, fishing out with ro line, fiberglass rod, and my tongs won't fit. It's been 3 days now
Sorry to hear that, I hope u are able to get u eel out soon, most of the time there’s a chance she will come out of it as they looking for food as soon as they are hungry

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s quite the predicament. I hope you’re able to get him out. Do you have single or dual overflows and how small is the eel?

Maybe a large diameter tube and gently siphon him to a bucket. A larger diameter should be slower flow. It would be a ride ;Hilarious

#reefsquad any ideas?

OP
OP
S2G

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you share a picture of the overflow in question? That will help
At the bottom in the slot inbetween where the pipes are at and the inside of the tank. Very tight spot

20190905_183830.jpg

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's in the one on the right. At the bottom in the slot inbetween where the pipes are at and the inside of the tank. Very tight spot

Do your drains have valves? Close the valves on the eel’s overflow and the water lever should rise to where he can escape on his own. I had this happen with my Clownfish in my 125g until they figured out to stay away from that spot and I put netting up.

I also removed the weir cover that my overflow had which provided close to 1.5” of clearance water.

OP
OP
S2G

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s quite the predicament. I hope you’re able to get him out. Do you have single or dual overflows and how small is the eel?

Maybe a large diameter tube and gently siphon him to a bucket. A larger diameter should be slower flow. It would be a ride ;Hilarious

#reefsquad any ideas?
Dual. It's not in the main area where the drain and return are. It's the little 3/8" slot between where the pipes are and the inside of the tank. I can see her through the slots. Probably 15" & thick as your thumb.

I'm heading to get dowels now for eel chop sticks lol

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You kind of have to let the eel do the work. Like you said, get 2 dowel, chopstick like tools, I have some really long bamboo spikes I think are used for garden stuff. something that he can not swim around when you insert it into that slot. Angle one of them up to the top on the front side of the overflow, he';s going to swim up and likely end up back in the tank. Have your net ready in case he ends up on the floor. Take the other tool and edge him up, making him swim up the other tool until he is over the edge. This is what I did to my overflows to eel proof.

IMG_20170205_112333.jpg

OP
OP
S2G

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You kind of have to let the eel do the work. Like you said, get 2 dowel, chopstick like tools, I have some really long bamboo spikes I think are used for garden stuff. something that he can not swim around when you insert it into that slot. Angle one of them up to the top on the front side of the overflow, he';s going to swim up and likely end up back in the tank. Have your net ready in case he ends up on the floor. Take the other tool and edge him up, making him swim up the other tool until he is over the edge. This is what I did to my overflows to eel proof.

IMG_20170205_112333.jpg

I have no excuses. I know better than to not block that off. Just last weekend I thought about it but was like eh I'll wait until next week. It's not hard fishing something out of a big overflow. Yeah forgot about that little gap.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 6.3%
Back