Fishless cycle - concerned about stalling

Afish70

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, you seem to be one among quite a few people recently who has trouble with Dr. Tim's One and Only. I don't really know why, the product should be able to work, but seven days with no nitrite produced is kinda odd. My only suggestion is either to wait it out, or try a different way to introduce nitrifiers into your aquarium.
Ok what is another way to get nitrifiers into my system? What else can I use? It has been a couple more days now and still no change at all. Can someone point me in another direction so I can get this thing up and running correctly??

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your cycle has already been fixed, follow the timing directions given to you, Aze is confusing cycle status here by inserting doubt based on api nitrite testing.

you can plainly see in the example links we don’t factor nitrite, for the confusions caused here is one reason.

Your cycle is done on the date stated on the bottle and from the water change shown to you on the work thread.

it’s ok if you don’t want to use these rules, no writing or publishing exists for the updated claims. You only have work links or absence of aquarium forum work links to evaluate.

no matter where you stand on params after dosing, that thread shows what happens if you change water on the start date and begin.

Last edited:

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok what is another way to get nitrifiers into my system? What else can I use? It has been a couple more days now and still no change at all. Can someone point me in another direction so I can get this thing up and running correctly??
Live rock, live sand, seeded biomedia from another tank can all work. But I'd suggest FritzZyme Turbo Start 900.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t do that, your cycle is fine, these links given have been relevant not useless in your evaluation. You are being led by hesitation and doubt back to the store to buy more things, money wasted.

resist the urge to develop doubt in cycling, these are water bac in water we are all debating

avoid redundant retail purchases, your cycle isn’t stalled, your real concern always unstated by cycle stallers is fish disease wipeout—aim all concerns away from cycle completion and into that.

again I’ll ask, does a 100% water change hurt a cycle after meeting the dates on the label of the bottle bac? See this post

see how after the water change a full blown reef was made? there was not one iota of doubt, concern, or kickback. Dates on a bottle bac label are trustworthy.

also applicable: click Jacks post log history and check fish disease outbreak eight mos later.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

capito2007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrites are also not doing anything ... going on five days now. Today I’m doing a water change. Tomorrow I’m adding more ammonia to prove the cycle. Then I’m adding two clowns Monday.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrites are also not doing anything ... going on five days now. Today I’m doing a water change. Tomorrow I’m adding more ammonia to prove the cycle. Then I’m adding two clowns Monday.
You can't get accurate nitrate readings while nitrites are elevated. Nitrites will fall, but at a much slower rate than ammonia. Nitrites aren't too worrisome as long as they eventually fall.

While the cycle is not "technically" complete, I wouldn't argue that your tank has cycled sufficiently to add a couple of Clownfish... BUT... I would rethink your plan to do a water change, add ammonia, and add fish in a short period of time. I'd go slower. Change is bad... rapid change is worse... rapid change in a new system is terrible.

OP
OP
C

capito2007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't get accurate nitrate readings while nitrites are elevated. Nitrites will fall, but at a much slower rate than ammonia. Nitrites aren't too worrisome as long as they eventually fall.

While the cycle is not "technically" complete, I wouldn't argue that your tank has cycled sufficiently to add a couple of Clownfish... BUT... I would rethink your plan to do a water change, add ammonia, and add fish in a short period of time. I'd go slower. Change is bad... rapid change is worse... rapid change in a new system is terrible.
What would your suggestion be? I was more or less looking to add the ammonia to see if it lowers as it should over 24hours and then monitor nitrites and nitrates accordingly for expected change. I’d of course only add fish if the tank responses as a “cycled” tank should.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would your suggestion be? I was more or less looking to add the ammonia to see if it lowers as it should over 24hours and then monitor nitrites and nitrates accordingly for expected change. I’d of course only add fish if the tank responses as a “cycled” tank should.
Remember, you can't monitor nitrates if nitrites are elevated so that part of the response can't be measured yet. If you add ammonia, it will delay the reduction of nitrite levels. But that's not a big issue. It just sounded like you were in a hurry. If you wait for the ammonia to read 0, do a water change, wait to make sure everything stays stable, and then add a couple of Clownfish, you should be fine.
I would simply do a 30% water change, make sure everything remains stable for a few days, and add the Clownfish.
Either way, remember that the ammonia produced by your new fish is a result of the food input. So feed lightly until you verify that the system is managing the ammonia input.

OP
OP
C

capito2007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m doing smaller water changes more frequently because I’m changing my salt over to Red Sea coral pro.. I did a 10% today.
think I should just do 10% tomorrow and 10% Sunday.. not add ammonia.. verify level.. if all good add the fish. And just keep monitoring levels? Or do you think I should go with the adding ammonia approach to verify it drops?

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m doing smaller water changes more frequently because I’m changing my salt over to Red Sea coral pro.. I did a 10% today.
think I should just do 10% tomorrow and 10% Sunday.. not add ammonia.. verify level.. if all good add the fish. And just keep monitoring levels? Or do you think I should go with the adding ammonia approach to verify it drops?
Small more frequent water changes are great. Not quite as efficient for dilution of nutrients but less stressful to the system. I wouldn't add any more ammonia.

OP
OP
C

capito2007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20% water change in 48 hours. Nitrite levels still haven’t changed... odds of a bad test?
This kit is about a year old and was stored outside when it wasn’t in use.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20% water change in 48 hours. Nitrite levels still haven’t changed... odds of a bad test?
This kit is about a year old and was stored outside when it wasn’t in use.
Did you do a serial dilution to verify that the levels really did not change? Did you measure before and after doing a water change?

OP
OP
C

capito2007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you do a serial dilution to verify that the levels really did not change? Did you measure before and after doing a water change?
Yes. See here. From left to right
100%/0% rodi/tank; 50%/50% rodi/tank; 75%/25% rodi/tank; 0%/100% rodi/tank.

as you can see, 100% rodi is the only one that is showing 0 nitrites as I’d expect... however.. at 75% rodi there’s no discernible difference between that and the 50% and the 0% rodi.... I’m not so sure I believe that....

B96423FE-015C-415A-8834-39F88BD8A10E.jpeg

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. See here. From left to right
100%/0% rodi/tank; 50%/50% rodi/tank; 75%/25% rodi/tank; 0%/100% rodi/tank.

as you can see, 100% rodi is the only one that is showing 0 nitrites as I’d expect... however.. at 75% rodi there’s no discernible difference between that and the 50% and the 0% rodi.... I’m not so sure I believe that....

B96423FE-015C-415A-8834-39F88BD8A10E.jpeg
I mean, that would also explain why your water changes are having no effect, because if your nitrite is way high then after doing a 20% water change it'd still be high. If it is at 20ppm, you'd need six 20% water changes to get it to almost 5ppm, which is still hard to read.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How the hell could it have gotten that high?
1ppm ammonia converts to around 2.7ppm nitrite if my math is not off. You'd need 7.4ppm ammonia to be converted to 20ppm nitrite or thereabouts, which is not impossible depending on how much ammonia is dosed vs. how much nitrite is building up despite being consumed.

OP
OP
C

capito2007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when I added my ammonia.. I added per the instructions 4drop/gal I did 100 drops on a 32gal tank taking into account displacement.. took about three days to fall to about .5ppm.. in which I added a similar dosage per instruction... that’s ~10.8 minimum... other than a massive water change.. based off the dilution nearly 100% water change.. is there anything else I can do?

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when I added my ammonia.. I added per the instructions 4drop/gal I did 100 drops on a 32gal tank taking into account displacement.. took about three days to fall to about .5ppm.. in which I added a similar dosage per instruction... that’s ~10.8 minimum... other than a massive water change.. based off the dilution nearly 100% water change.. is there anything else I can do?
Since it seems like you don't really want to wait, you can do what others suggest and ignore nitrite and just dose 2ppm ammonia or whatever and if that is consumed in 24 hours then add fish.

OP
OP
C

capito2007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. I don’t mind waiting.. just don’t want to make a big batch of water . I want my nitrites to dissipate but since they’re so high.. I feel like it’ll just an absurd amount of time.. personally If I have to go the route of a big water change I’d basically want to duplicate the cycle and verify everything works as it’s supposed to including nitrites turning into nitrates... which I do know I have (nitrates) so at some point the whole thing was working the way it supposed to

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. I don’t mind waiting.. just don’t want to make a big batch of water . I want my nitrites to dissipate but since they’re so high.. I feel like it’ll just an absurd amount of time.. personally If I have to go the route of a big water change I’d basically want to duplicate the cycle and verify everything works as it’s supposed to including nitrites turning into nitrates... which I do know I have (nitrates) so at some point the whole thing was working the way it supposed to
Right, gotcha. Okay so personally? I'd just ride it out. It's too much a hassle to do such a big water change and then well, gotta test everything again and so on and so on.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back