Flagfin in a reef tank?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lion king Hey sorry to resurrect this thread but how’s yours doing now? Any more growth? I wonder if an Asfur is one of the species that gets large.

I have no experience with the asfur, the flagfin's still clicking along, eats well and have pretty much settled in under 8". My flagfin is in a fowlr so I'm not sure how they'll act in a reef, although their genus has been known to be one that does well, or ar least better than most.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s great to see both the Majestic and Flagfin remaining small in captivity, they top out at 6-7” for you right? Do you see any of your fish in the 210 outgrowing the 72” x 24”?

Yes majestic still very small, none have outgrown the 210g, but I did choose fish that would be able to live their lives in that size tank. I'm not opposed to rehoming fish if you have a plan, but rehoming really large fish can be almost impossible sometimes.

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of people keep apolemichthys in a reef. bandits are commonly seen in reefs, as are the flagfin's close cousins the goldflake angel. All angels are a risk but I would not go so far as to say are not reef compatible, they would be solidly in the with caution category. If you have a large acan/scholy/trachy/favia collection then I would not risk it but if you have mostly sps then it can be a fine fit.

Great video that talks in depth on the topic at general and specifically on keeping the somewhat closely related bandit angels in a reef tank.

Great post and great video. I am definitely thinking about getting more benthic feeders after watching that video

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That must be a very interesting video, I'll watch it calmly as soon as I can, it's not easy to understand fluent English lol, but well.. Austin has one of the articles that I like the most entitled 'The value of fish', and I read it every time I want to remember why our fish are so valuable.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back