mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few questions now...
  • Will the copper dwindle down?
  • Am I going to need to test and dose daily or should it stay fairly level?
  • What about evap does the copper stay in the water like the salinity?
  • Should I add copper to my top off water?
  • If stops eating, how low should I lower copper?
thanks everyone for your help.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the copper dwindle down?

Am I going to need to test and dose daily or should it stay fairly level?

Unless you have some filter media that will absorb copper it should stay stable. It's always good to test at least daily for the first few days to make sure it is staying steady like it should.

What about evap does the copper stay in the water like the salinity?
The copper stays behind and does not leave with evaporation.

Should I add copper to my top off water?
Nope.

If stops eating, how low should I lower copper?
Those are tough judgement calls. If you are getting close to the end of the treatment I would push through. I wouldn't adjust copper levels to a lower level just to try and restore feeding. You are more likely to allow some parasites to survive than getting the fish to eat in my opinion. If it comes to that it is better to stop the copper altogether.

OP
OP
mckinleyw

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have some filter media that will absorb copper it should stay stable. It's always good to test at least daily for the first few days to make sure it is staying steady like it should.

The copper stays behind and does not leave with evaporation.

Nope.

Those are tough judgement calls. If you are getting close to the end of the treatment I would push through. I wouldn't adjust copper levels to a lower level just to try and restore feeding. You are more likely to allow some parasites to survive than getting the fish to eat in my opinion. If it comes to that it is better to stop the copper altogether.

Thank you.

OP
OP
mckinleyw

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How am I supposed to treat if copper causes issues? TTM doesn't work on velvet. what other options are out there? just trying to be prepared for anything. I can easily set up another tank either 20long or 29 tall to remove him from the copper if feeding becomes an issue within this first week.

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How am I supposed to treat if copper causes issues? TTM doesn't work on velvet. what other options are out there? just trying to be prepared for anything. I can easily set up another tank either 20long or 29 tall to remove him from the copper if feeding becomes an issue within this first week.
You have a few options.

You can do TTM for velvet, it just needs to be done much more frequently. Instead of ever 3 days you have to do it more times and never more than 36hrs apart. Not easy....

An even better option, imo, is to set up one the 20L now. You can transfer the fish to the clean tank 10 days after reaching full copper levels. This is actually my preference over maintaining copper for 30 days anyway.

The other option would be to discontinue copper and attempt to get and use CP. That is a little more problematic but easier on the fish.

OP
OP
mckinleyw

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a few options.

You can do TTM for velvet, it just needs to be done much more frequently. Instead of ever 3 days you have to do it more times and never more than 36hrs apart. Not easy....

An even better option, imo, is to set up one the 20L now. You can transfer the fish to the clean tank 10 days after reaching full copper levels. This is actually my preference over maintaining copper for 30 days anyway.

The other option would be to discontinue copper and attempt to get and use CP. That is a little more problematic but easier on the fish.

CP is most likely out. the only issue I have is the space with the aerosol testing I read on one of the threads in here. I will keep updates coming and let you know as things change. hoping to have a healthy flame angel soon we are thinking about calling him dante. having to go through his own Inferno. LOL

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CP is most likely out. the only issue I have is the space with the aerosol testing I read on one of the threads in here. I will keep updates coming and let you know as things change. hoping to have a healthy flame angel soon we are thinking about calling him dante. having to go through his own Inferno. LOL
Love the name!

I can't maintain the 10' when I QT so I use a small battery operated fan to blow air away from the contaminated QT. You only need a slight draft to prevent aerial spread.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few questions now...
  • Will the copper dwindle down?
  • Am I going to need to test and dose daily or should it stay fairly level?
  • What about evap does the copper stay in the water like the salinity?
  • Should I add copper to my top off water?
  • If stops eating, how low should I lower copper?
thanks everyone for your help.
i agree with what Brew12 said about these questions, but wanted to mention - when doing a water change, you should add copper to the new saltwater before adding it to the tank so therapeutic level never drops. Hope he pulls through!

OP
OP
mckinleyw

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So saturday morning test. Looks like it is holding. Dante isnt interested in food... ;Nailbiting idk i took a few pix. Any thoughts/suggestions?
received_1965393576810749.jpeg 20171118_103927.jpg 20171118_103944.jpg 20171118_103947.jpg
Sorry the pix kinda suck.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get live blackworms? Or possibly try a littleneck clam from the grocery store? Have you tried mysis and other frozen foods?

OP
OP
mckinleyw

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tryed mysis last night. And pellet this am. No interest. Pellets he ate day after i brought him home.

OP
OP
mckinleyw

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 3 here is test, may need to dose. What are your thoughts? I hate these color tests. Anyway there is a white spot on dantes side. I tried to get a pic of it here is what i got. Any thoughts on what it is?

20171119_102623.jpg 20171118_170831.jpg 20171118_170629.jpg

OP
OP
mckinleyw

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 4 copper test. I dosed 1 ml last night, the color on yesterdays test seemed a lil lower. Hope I didn't over do it. any way swimming around a lil more the last couple of days still not showing interest in any types of food. I may have to switch him to a different tank and get him eating and restart the copper. I hope not. Im trying to get to the 10 day marker...
112017cptst.jpeg

OP
OP
mckinleyw

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DAY 5 everything seems good. Dante is swimming around a lot. No gasping that I can tell, but doesn't seem interested in food. He doesn't seem to look like he is starving though. Here is the test from this am.
112117CPTST.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back