Flame Angel eye

brian.badge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this look like an injury or pop eye? I am second guessing myself and not certain if both eyes are protruding or just one. Does the eye look infected?

Will be getting antibiotics tomorrow and putting up hospital tank.

I am concerned about stressing and potentially damaging eye when I move home to the hospital. Any advise to do it with least trouble?

He is swimming actively and begging for food. Haven't had a chance to test parameters tonight, but last test was all ideal.
f86b3ea2dcb9b70711ed5c97daf07da1.jpg
87e65b389dddcda9e7e27a6a499034f2.jpg
9e4351952f62948cfc0b57b2e8bf2510.jpg

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @Mjrenz first conduct FWD for process of elimination as it could also be a bacterial infection. Kanaplex + Metro + Focus. One dose each in tbs of frozen food for 2-3 weeks.

Have a done a recently changes to your tank or added any live stock?

Have you noticed any fish aggression?

OP
OP
B

brian.badge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The angel likes to half heartedly chase my wrasse back into the rock. He also insists on going into that rock (not chasing anyone). The opening is tight for him.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully he just scraped his eye causing irritation or bacterial. Keep an on him. It is always good to have an assortment of meds on hand.

Seachema
-cupramine
-metroplex
-kannaplex
-focus

-prazipro
-furan-2

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think petco carries them but can easily be ordered on Amazon.

OP
OP
B

brian.badge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do. LFS recommended 25% daily water changes with water added from main tank. Should I be adding meds back in after change or not worry about dilution? If add what amount?

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it will be fine but read instructions for proper dosing of each medication.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also feed orally by binding medication with seachems focus. feed for 2-3 weeks

OP
OP
B

brian.badge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 days in hospital tank. He isnt eating, which isnt a surprise. He is hiding behind the sponge filter also not a surprise. It took a number of days for him to settle in to the main tank originally as well.

His eye is less swollen, but has significantly more white. It doesnt look like active infection, but more like damaged tissue. I am hoping he wont loose the eye, but I think he isnt in danger of dying.

Video shared and more experienced opinions welcome.

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5cf841c7e4142/20190605_181328.mp4

Sailfinguy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never had much luck with flame angels, but anytime i see cloudy eyes its a bacterial infection caused by bad water .. usually a big water changes fixes it for me.. Id be carefull keeping him in a fresh tank like that in just a few hours youll see ammonia, with no biological filter and those alert badges do jack.. The ammonia will make it worse. I would have left him in the regular tank and just done a 25-50% water change

OP
OP
B

brian.badge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never had much luck with flame angels, but anytime i see cloudy eyes its a bacterial infection caused by bad water .. usually a big water changes fixes it for me.. Id be carefull keeping him in a fresh tank like that in just a few hours youll see ammonia, with no biological filter and those alert badges do jack.. The ammonia will make it worse. I would have left him in the regular tank and just done a 25-50% water change

Sponge in hospital tank is cycled and I am doing 25% daily changes. Only moved him there to treat with antibiotic.

Will keep an eye on ammonia using salifert test and just use badge as supplement rather than replacement. Thanks for the tip.

When you say bad water do you mean a parameter we typically test for or something else? Tank parameters are stable and sitting at ideal numbers except calcium which is 500. My coral doesnt use enough yet and salt mixes there. I do weekly 10% changes.

If you are talking about something we dont test for then what do you mean? I could see were bacteria or free floating solids (food poo etc) could cause trouble. Just trying to make sure I understand.

How does eye look compared to before? To me it's less inflamed, but has more white "scar" tissue. If that characterization is accurate.

OP
OP
B

brian.badge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify he is in a 20 long with heater and a sponge filter with air pump which is fully cycled.
e57ae8c83211eac9903b9d0567cb1617.jpg

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 197 70.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 53 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.9%
Back