Flame Angel - To Keep or Not To Keep

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm in the process of a tank upgrade and I'm at a bit of an inflection point when it comes to what fish I keep and what fish I bring back to my LFS. Right now, I have a 26g Peninsula with 2 clowns, a blue damsel, and a Flame Angel. I'm upgrading to a WB 50.3 Peninsula and my plan is to add a set of 3 Fathead Sunburst Anthias once it's set up, and then in 4-6 months, add in a male/female pair of Mandarins.

I've decided to bring back the Damsel, as she will likely be problematic with the Anthias and especially the Mandarins. She has a fun personality and relationship with the clowns, but I want an aggression free tank. Now, the question of this thread is whether to bring back the Flame Angel or not. I really love this fish, not only is it beautiful but he has a great personality and is a joy to watch explore all the nooks and crannies of the tank. I've had him for 5 or 6 months and so far, he has not bothered any corals. I feed pretty heavily with a morning and night feeding of LRS, and scattered feedings of pellets throughout the day (I work from home).

What I'm really looking for is an array of opinions on whether Flame Angels can be reef safe additions if fed well, or if they're bound to become problematic as they get older. I have a lot of lovely fleshy LPS corals, and a number of soft corals as well. This tank change is really the only time that I will be able to catch this Flame Angel, so I'm doing some soul searching and trying to figure out if I should keep him or send him back to the shop.

Please share your opinions and experiences! I would love to hear them!

IMG-7013.jpg

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had a problem with them personally.. I’d think if you haven’t had any problems with yours by now you def shouldn’t in a bigger tank.. each fish is its own individual and it seems you got a cool one..

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had a problem with them personally.. I’d think if you haven’t had any problems with yours by now you def shouldn’t in a bigger tank.. each fish is its own individual and it seems you got a cool one..

I had heard from a few people that they tend to get more nippy as they age. Do you believe there's any truth to that?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had heard from a few people that they tend to get more nippy as they age. Do you believe there's any truth to that?
I currently have a older coral beauty in my tank and she doesn’t bother a thang but algae.. I seen her once or twice nip on my forest fire digitata “no damage” and that was about it.. I have plenty of LPs and Zoas and tons of sticks and not a single problem…

IMG_0270.jpeg

OrlandoAIOReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a older coral beauty in my tank and she doesn’t bother a thang but algae.. I seen her once or twice nip on my forest fire digitata “no damage” and that was about it.. I have plenty of LPs and Zoas and tons of sticks and not a single problem…

IMG_0270.jpeg
Nice! I have to pick one right, coral beauty or flame angel.. can’t have both I believe ?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I have to pick one right, coral beauty or flame angel.. can’t have both I believe ?
If your flame isn't bothering anythig I would keep. Bright vibrant fish that is always activity and it will accent your other fish. Since it is very active it will help other fish feel comfortable swimming.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen people keep both in small and larger tanks.. I’ve read it’s best to add the flame last.. I’m thinking about adding a flame to my tank I’m sure I won’t have problems since I have a large display and a tang gang that will keep those little guys in check lol..

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a few and they are my favorite fish for reasons like you mentioned! I love how they explor the tank! I have a few acros that suffer with PE but overall when fed good they are great, and if there's plenty of fish they seem to behave better. I would keep it if it were me, everyone that sees the tank is like "whoa what kind of fish is that"!!! lol they are beautiful... vote= keep it and keep it fat and happy and you will be too!

Attachments

• 20230408_223204.jpg
    20230408_223204.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 20230404_220123.jpg
    20230404_220123.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 20230319_181535.jpg
    20230319_181535.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a few and they are my favorite fish for reasons like you mentioned! I love how they explor the tank! I have a few acros that suffer with PE but overall when fed good they are great, and if there's plenty of fish they seem to behave better. I would keep it if it were me, everyone that sees the tank is like "whoa what kind of fish is that"!!! lol they are beautiful... vote= keep it and keep it fat and happy and you will be too!

Well, you all are really convincing me! I certainly WANT to keep him.

If I do end up keeping him, does any experienced Flame Angel keeper have any recommendations for their diet? I feed LRS and New Spectrum Pellets. I've tried putting in Nori on a suction cup but none of my fish have showed any interest in that. I want to make sure it's getting the algae and sponge that it needs.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you all are really convincing me! I certainly WANT to keep him.

If I do end up keeping him, does any experienced Flame Angel keeper have any recommendations for their diet? I feed LRS and New Spectrum Pellets. I've tried putting in Nori on a suction cup but none of my fish have showed any interest in that. I want to make sure it's getting the algae and sponge that it needs.
Try nori in a rock with a rubber band and see what happens… once they get a taste for it the clip will get demolished lol.. my coral beauty follows me around with my scraper and eats all the algae when I’m cleaning the glass off..

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have to approach dwarf angels on a case by case basis. Sounds as if you have had good luck so far, so I would not re-home him until you have problems. I had to re-home a bi-color even though others have not experienced problems.

As far at the nori, if you haven't already, cut the sheets into narrow (1/2") strips and either rubber band it to a rock as someone else suggested, or use a clothespin and float it just below the surface. Every fish in my tank goes crazy when I feed nori this way.

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flame angel likes acans so i dont have acans. But IMO i would rather have better utilitarian fish then an angel or mandarins but you do you.

What do you suggest as a 'better utilitarian fish'? Something like a Six Line Wrasse?

I'm definitely interested in fish that contribute to the reef tank.

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs, blennys, wrasses (not a sixline) and foxfaces.
Definitely don't have the room for any Tangs or Foxfaces in the 50.3! hah

I'm not too familiar with Blennies - I know of the Lawnmower Blenny but I don't know if I'd have enough algae to keep them well fed.

I believe most of the beneficial parasite eating Wrasses are too big for my tank as well, minus the Six Line.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back