Flame Angel with white lips

nickmealey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a flame angel in QT with Copper Power (2.5ppm) and he's developed a white upper lip that's starting to look fleshy. So far he seems to be acting normal and eating frozen food well. Over the last few days it's gotten worse. Cause for concern?
IMG_1014.jpg

OP
OP
nickmealey

nickmealey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's another shot. I don't think it's a fighting injury as he's only in with another tame blue tang.
IMG_1016.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's another shot. I don't think it's a fighting injury as he's only in with another tame blue tang.
IMG_1016.jpeg

How long has it been in the QT? Centropyge angelfish are very prone to getting their teeth caught in nets when being transferred from tank to tank. If it was moved less than a week ago, I would say that could be it. More than a week, less likely.

This could be a secondary bacterial infection. I often advise people to just let those run their course, they often heal on their own. However, any infection on a fish's mouth has the chance of putting them off feed, and then things go downhill very fast.

Dosing antibiotics and copper is not something I like to do, but it may be needed here, since you commented that the symptom is worsening. Copper Power is pretty mild. Do you have access to any broad spectrum antibiotics?

Jay Hemdal

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 58 85.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.4%
Back