OP
OP
chad vossen

chad vossen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Collected a big spawn last night.. Leaving for vacation on Tuesday though so no plans to really raise these. Once we get back, we'll get a batch started and see what we can do.

20170511_221801_zpsg6vv6b3p.jpg

arichard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you got a lot better fertilization on that second batch from the looks of it. Best of luck!

OP
OP
chad vossen

chad vossen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got back from vacation, and collected another spawn. We'll be collecting eggs for the next few days to combine together. Got out the micrometer slide for these pics to show size. Eggs measure about 700 microns, or .7mm.

20170521_232840_zpsgue0p20i.jpg

The scale is in focus for this photo -
20170521_232818_zpsjdynwo48.jpg

20170521_232624_zpsapxfxrur.jpg

rbraunberger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you collecting the eggs?

How did you correctly sex your angels? I have seen other articles stating it is very difficult.

OP
OP
chad vossen

chad vossen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you collecting the eggs?

How did you correctly sex your angels? I have seen other articles stating it is very difficult.

Sexing the angels is very easy actually. We simply paired a small angel with a larger angelfish. Medium angelfish are likely females, but could be young males, which is why we avoid using them in pairings. Introduce the fish at the same time to a tank, and they will pair up very easily. If you introduce an angelfish to another's tank, you will get a territorial response.

OP
OP
chad vossen

chad vossen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wonderful! IMPORTANT work! you should place the fry in homes that promise to breed the next generation! JasPR
We will hold onto the flame angels that show an interesting pattern or lack of stripes. Our goal is to potentially produce a pattern-less flame angel, as well as regular flame angels. We paid very well for the female of this pair due to her extreme lack of stripes. Hopefully it's genetic :)

OP
OP
chad vossen

chad vossen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you hatch them right in the beaker then transfer them to something else after they hatch?
Yep, after hatching in the beaker, we transfer them to the larval tank to grow. They take 4 days to use up the yoke sack before the begin feeding.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic work, you're doing some amazing things here with both these and your other species please keep it up.

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you spoken with the company in Hawaii (don't want to mention the name in case they don't want me to) that has done this? They are really nice people that may be able to help this go large scale....

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 171 73.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 41 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back