Flame hawk aggression

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of flame hawks that have been in a ten gallon tank for a couple months now. I planned to move them out and into a quarantine tank before now, but my parents have not let me put the quarantine tank up yet. A few days ago, I noticed the smaller one was hiding and only eating when I put the food down next to it. It’s done this before for a couple days at a time, and it wasn’t a big deal for me to just stick the knife down to the bottom. Yesterday I couldn’t find it though. I cleaned the tank some and looked for it, but I still didn’t find it. When I still didn’t see it today, I removed all the rocks and it swam out from under the last one looking very pale. The bigger one immediately started chasing it. I managed to get the smaller on into an acclimation box where it is sitting now. So my question is, why did the big one suddenly start chasing the smaller one? I’ve had them since the end of the summer and there’s never been anything other than a little fighting over a chunk of food. I obviously can’t keep them in this situation long term, so what do I do now? Will the aggression go away once they are in my 45 gallon tank, or is one of them going to have to go?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
They can be aggressive in nature but the issue may be having a Small tank with two of the same fish which never ends well as one will be an aggressor, which is your case. If you can get a tank divider- Do so, or even egg crate will work. Wont leave either a lot of room but will seperate them for the time being

OP
OP
TheShrimpNibbler

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be aggressive in nature but the issue may be having a Small tank with two of the same fish which never ends well as one will be an aggressor, which is your case. If you can get a tank divider- Do so, or even egg crate will work. Wont leave either a lot of room but will seperate them for the time being
Thanks for the help! I’ll see about making some type of divider either tomorrow or Monday. They still need to be quarantined, which will be another tank of the same size, so I will have to separate them in there too. That shouldn’t be too hard though. Is it likely that the aggression will subside once they are in my main tank, or is it best to get rid of one of them while they’re easy to catch?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks for the help! I’ll see about making some type of divider either tomorrow or Monday. They still need to be quarantined, which will be another tank of the same size, so I will have to separate them in there too. That shouldn’t be too hard though. Is it likely that the aggression will subside once they are in my main tank, or is it best to get rid of one of them while they’re easy to catch?
Unless you plan on placing them in a 75 gallon or larger, id part with one. Also , they do eat shrimp, so dont plan on getting any shrimp for tank

OP
OP
TheShrimpNibbler

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you plan on placing them in a 75 gallon or larger, id part with one. Also , they do eat shrimp, so dont plan on getting any shrimp for tank
The tank is 45 gallons, so it’s looking like one will have to go:( . I made the decision that I wanted a hawk more than shrimp or crabs before I got one, so no problems there. Again, thanks for helping me out.

OP
OP
TheShrimpNibbler

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured I’d give you all an update. I went to Lowe’s and grabbed a sheet of egg rate to make a divider. I went out to check on them a little while ago, and the smaller had died though. I don’t know if it was hunger, injuries, stress, or a combination of all three. I’m pretty sad, but I know not to try keeping a pair of these again unless I get a larger dt and qt, and that won’t be for a long while.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 50 43.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 8 7.0%
Back