Flame hawkfish hiding and not eating

fisheriesdoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some advice on how to help my hawkfish feel more comfortable. We just had a week-long power outage following hurricane ida. I had a generator to run pumps and ice blocks to keep the tank cool until they all melted. I managed to keep all of my fishes and coral alive and the tank is almost back to normal four days post power restoration, with the exception of my flame hawkfish. The flame hawkfish is my favorite fish- it has a ton of character and is usually very engaged. However, post power restoration, it is hiding a lot and refusing food. One issue is that I had to buy new frozen food and I could only find mysis (everything melted at the LFS). My hawkfish is excited about the introduction of mysis shrimp and examines them, but doesn’t eat them. So a couple of questions:
1. Any thoughts on how I can ease the stress on the fish while the tank fully recovers?
2. Has anyone had luck making their own food for hawkfish? I’ve thought about running to the store and buying a few frozen clams or scallops and trying to make a more meaty food.

Back