Flame Hawkfish lifespan?

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen my flame hawk for a couple of days and before that he was looking pretty pale, but also really fat. I assume he has passed away. I only had him about 3 and a half years but he was full grown when I got him so I have no idea how old he was then. According to some google searches their lifespan is 10+ years so I am a little surprised to see him pass away so soon. Curious what other peoples experience has been?

His favourite spot to perch was this cabbage coral.

1605480703517.png

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say 10 years is a good metric for lifespan for these guys. As you said he was full grown when you got him so that is hard to say how old he was then, a full grown flame hawk I would guess is at least 3-4 years old. Less than fully grown or just at individuals seem to be kept between 5-7 years. I had one for just over 7 years. I keep them in predator tanks and my current one eats live guppies and ghosties along with other meaty offerings. Dietary restrictions do lead to a shortened captive lifespan for some species, but again, you really don't know how old he was when you got him.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say up to 15 years but I know a guy who’s kept his for 19 years before it unfortunately jumped. But then again since it was fully grown, maybe it only had a couple years left in it. That’s why I avoid buying fish that are fully grown / close to fully grown.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say up to 15 years but I know a guy who’s kept his for 19 years before it unfortunately jumped. But then again since it was fully grown, maybe it only had a couple years left in it. That’s why I avoid buying fish that are fully grown / close to fully grown.

Wow I didn't know they lived that long.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lifespan is always a tricky subject as a lot of it is out of our control. As mentioned we don't always know the age of the fish we buy but shorter lifespans for fish could be a natural lifespan for that particular fish. In the wild they have to worry about predation but there are more ways than old age for a fish to die in a tank.

Ive seen hawks wedge themselves into the rockwork and get stuck, develop ailments and various other fatal occurrences. I recently lost a fish that was 8 but had the potential to live several decades, it died of lung tumors, so was a natural death for that fish. I wouldn't get too hung up on how long something should have live for and just enjoy keeping fish.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know except for the fish I keep. I know the first damsels I had in the 70s, blue devils lived for 7 years. They probably live longer but in those days I probably fed them sausage and eggs.

All fish have different lifespans. Clowns live into their 30s. I have a couple now approaching 30.
Bangai cardinals have one of the shortest lifespans of about 4 years.
Copperbands and hippo tangs I have kept for 12 years but I know they can live a lot longer.

It seems in a tank we have accidents after so many years or they jump out.

OP
OP
andrewkw

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it turns out the hawkfish is still alive! However he is obviously not in good shape as he only came out for 1 second after missing several feedings. In my experience if an established fish does not come out at eat 2x in a row they are almost certainly gone.

Given that all of my other fish are healthy and nothing new has been added in some time I still suspect old age to be the culprit or perhaps some non contagious issue. If by some miracle he does return to normal I will update.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back