Flame scallops

Dalton Hunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious to know who long people have been able to get flame scallops to live in their tanks. I currently have a red flame and an electric red flame scallop that has been in the tank for a year now. I was told to only expect them to live 6 months or less.

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 months is the figure of how long it takes to starve a scallop. Feed phyto at least 3x/ week (I feed daily) to ensure the scallop has a proper diet.. they like established tanks that have been up and running for at least 6 months. A heavier fish stock also helps.

Given they don't starve to death, flame scallops can live years in captivity

Reefinometry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one for about a month and brought it back to the fish store as it moved too often. When I had it I gave it phyto feast and seemed to do the job

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just lost ours. We had it for 2 years and fed it Phyto-Feast and Oyster-Feast daily. Our thorny oyster and jewel box clams are still doing well and are fed the same diet. We are actually getting in a Limaria orientalis (dancing file clam) today! Pretty excited about it!

-Chad

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They need a significant amount of food available constantly. I had my group being fed every hour. Had them for over a year. 6 months is about how long it takes to properly starve one. Phytoplankton, Diatoms (shellfish diet by reed mariculture) golden pearls, other foods in the 5-50 micron range will all help sustain it.

ToadstoolCoral155

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They need a significant amount of food available constantly. I had my group being fed every hour. Had them for over a year. 6 months is about how long it takes to properly starve one. Phytoplankton, Diatoms (shellfish diet by reed mariculture) golden pearls, other foods in the 5-50 micron range will all help sustain it.
How about one flame scallop? Remember, I use reef blend (I don't know the size of particles for that) but the Julian springs particle size ranges from 0.2 microns to 150 microns
How often should I feel one in a 14 gal tank?

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about one flame scallop? Remember, I use reef blend (I don't know the size of particles for that) but the Julian springs particle size ranges from 0.2 microns to 150 microns
How often should I feel one in a 14 gal tank?

It doesn't matter how many you are keeping, they still need a consistent availability of appropriately sized foods. The Diatoms Thalassiosira weissflogii and T. pseudonana worked the best for me in conjunction with other small particle foods.

ToadstoolCoral155

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't matter how many you are keeping, they still need a consistent availability of appropriately sized foods. The Diatoms Thalassiosira weissflogii and T. pseudonana worked the best for me in conjunction with other small particle foods.
3 times a day good for one? And I put a lot into the tank to disperve.

Also, I usually turn off my flow and spot feed them with phyto. Does that work well?

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to be blunt, but no. They feed constantly and can't intake enough for all their needs with that infrequent of food availability. Even several times per day it's likely to starve.

ToadstoolCoral155

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to be blunt, but no. They feed constantly and can't intake enough for all their needs with that infrequent of food availability. Even several times per day it's likely to starve.
Do you disperse feed or spot feed?

I mean at least my tank is smaller so more of what I put into the tank will actually get eaten

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 times a day good for one? And I put a lot into the tank to disperve.

Also, I usually turn off my flow and spot feed them with phyto. Does that work well?

Do you disperse feed or spot feed?

I mean at least my tank is smaller so more of what I put into the tank will actually get eaten

Bivalves feed on foods that are in suspension, so it has to be broadcast. They can't effectively feed on food That's sprayed on or over them.

That's true with a smaller tank (and hopefully a slower flow through) more can reach them. But it will still need to be as often as you can for it to be enough.

ToadstoolCoral155

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bivalves feed on foods that are in suspension, so it has to be broadcast. They can't effectively feed on food That's sprayed on or over them.

That's true with a smaller tank (and hopefully a slower flow through) more can reach them. But it will still need to be as often as you can for it to be enough.
Does this product look good to you?
https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/3061/?pcatid=3061

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reef blend you're using or the one from BSD? I'm not familiar with what's in the one you're currently using. Which product is it?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 24 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.7%
Back