Flameback Angel Behavior Change

amannelin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, my Flameback angel has been in my display tank for about 4 weeks now, and last night it’s swimming became more erratic and he was giving little head shakes. This morning he has been swimming around fine but a little quicker than usual. When I fed this morning he ate the most food I’ve seen it eat and it ate much more aggressively. Is this normal behavior or should I be concerned? Physically I can’t see an issues and my water parameters are all good. All the other fish in the tank are acting normally as well.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, my Flameback angel has been in my display tank for about 4 weeks now, and last night it’s swimming became more erratic and he was giving little head shakes. This morning he has been swimming around fine but a little quicker than usual. When I fed this morning he ate the most food I’ve seen it eat and it ate much more aggressively. Is this normal behavior or should I be concerned? Physically I can’t see an issues and my water parameters are all good. All the other fish in the tank are acting normally as well.
How big is the tank? And can we get an FTS of the rock?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.

Head shaking can be a sign of flukes. PraziPro can work for that, and it can be used in a display. It could also be nothing. Do you practice any QT for new fishes?

Cheese Griller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the fins clamped at all? The head shakes remind me of a similar situation I had two months ago with my flameback and it turned out to be flukes, which I was able to treat and now it's back to normal.

Cheese Griller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I’m not sure what FTS is, but the system is 30gallons total and the display is 15
FTS would be a full tank shot. IMO a 15 gallon display is too small for a flameback, which is likely the root cause for a stressed out fish which in turns makes it more susceptible to parasites like flukes

OP
OP
amannelin

amannelin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.

Head shaking can be a sign of flukes. PraziPro can work for that, and it can be used in a display. It could also be nothing. Do you practice any QT for new fishes?
Hi, thanks for the response. I have Prazi on hand, just wanna make sure it’s safe for my inverts. I unfortunately don’t have a QT tank but my LFS quarantines for a little while before selling the fish. I know not having a QT setup is less than ideal and I’m working to get one going.

OP
OP
amannelin

amannelin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, thanks for the reply. Im new to saltwater and was heavily recommended the fish for my setup by my LFS. The fish is only about an inch and a half right now and I am getting a 70 gallon tank shortly. I will move him over asap. I only want the best for my tank and the inhabitants and might be over trusting of the advice my shop gives me, they have been “coaching” me every step of the way.

Last edited:

Cheese Griller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, thanks for the reply. Im new to saltwater and was heavily recommended the fish for my setup by my LFS. The fish is only about an inch and a half right now and I am getting a 70 gallon tank shortly. I will move him over asap. I only want the best for my tank and the inhabitants and might be over trusting of the advice my shop gives me, they
A 70 gallon will be an excellent long-term home for a flameback. No shame in learning along the way, we've all been misadvised by shops in the past. But I would definitely be skeptical of this shop's advise in the future.

OP
OP
amannelin

amannelin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted a text reply but for some reason popped up as a separate comment.

Attachments

• 798D84B9-1311-4102-8541-0C0B8A247230.jpeg
    798D84B9-1311-4102-8541-0C0B8A247230.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 81578043-E9EC-4D33-8618-A6ABC7FAE2CA.jpeg
    81578043-E9EC-4D33-8618-A6ABC7FAE2CA.jpeg
    97.4 KB · Views: 34
  • ABDB6FBC-A09A-45EF-89F1-3A4394B5ED4D.jpeg
    ABDB6FBC-A09A-45EF-89F1-3A4394B5ED4D.jpeg
    141.8 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
amannelin

amannelin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 70 gallon will be an excellent long-term home for a flameback. No shame in learning along the way, we've all been misadvised by shops in the past. But I would definitely be skeptical of this shop's advise in the future.
Yes, I definitely will be. I posted a few shots of the tank in a separate comment. If it is flukes, can I dose Prazipro into the display even with inverts?

OP
OP
amannelin

amannelin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I definitely will be. I posted a few shots of the tank in a separate comment. If it is flukes, can I dose Prazipro into the display even with inverts.

Cheese Griller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I definitely will be. I posted a few shots of the tank in a separate comment. If it is flukes, can I dose Prazipro into the display even with inverts?
For my fluke treatment I used prazi in my tank with LPS and softies and everything was fine. It's mostly reef safe, but can sometimes kill tube worms and feather dusters IIRC

OP
OP
amannelin

amannelin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is so small...
This has been brought to my attention, I’m working towards getting a 70g setup in the very near future. I just want a healthy tank with healthy inhabitants and appreciate the sound advice.

Feartheturtle!22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, On the bright side you now already have a QT tank. Hope your 70 comes soon! I am never surprised at what some dealers will do to make a sale. New concept, be honest, your business will thank you many times over for being so. I've been with my same LFD for 40 years and he's still there, because we all know he cares.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back