Flashing in qt . No visible issues.

Hondatek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I added a lieutenant tang to my qt tank on Sunday November 4th and slowly raised the cupramine levels to pro actively treat for parasites. Starting about 3 days ago I have been noticing some flashing. He has no spots or anything that would make me believe he has a parasite. Also it does not do it very often at all maybe once or twice during 2-3 hour period that I have noticed. Does not target gills when it does it and it seems it only flashes after pecking at the pvc/ small decor . I do not think I really have anything to worry about but it does not hurt to ask. Thanks.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Hondatek

Hondatek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.5 . Im using a salifert kit. Would there be other symptoms for flukes? I have to admit in the 8 years I have been keeping saltwater fish I have never done a fw dip . It scares the hell out of me . Could I just treat with prazi after 30 days after I remove all the copper?

Last edited:

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.5 . Im using a salifert kit. Would there be other symptoms for flukes? I have to admit in the 8 years I have been keeping saltwater fish I have never done a fw dip . It scares the hell out of me . Could I just treat with prazi after 30 days after I remove all the copper?

I have dipped probably 30+ fish. It's still nerve racking every time.

Fish lay on their side and appear to be in trouble. Low and behold place them back in the tank and they are upright and fine again. I've never lost a fish during or shortly after a FW dip.

Flukes can sometimes be seen in and around the eyes etc. They are usually in the gills and not visible.

OP
OP
Hondatek

Hondatek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I will try to find a black or dark colored bucket since the ones I have are white. Then try to work up the nerve to do it. Might need to put a few beers in me first. :)

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put it this way. It's far more stressful for us than it is the fish.

OP
OP
Hondatek

Hondatek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update. Later the night I started this thread I found one of the sockets in the power strip got water in it and fried it. After replacing it the flashing stopped. I did perform the fw dip a few days after and found no flukes. The tang has now made it into the display tank and have yet to see any flashing at all since.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 96 80.7%
  • Other.

Back