Flatworms!!!!

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9301.JPG
Oh no! I think I've found the root of why my corals are slowly looking pale. FLATWORMS!!! Any advice, help, or suggestion would be greatly appreciated! I'm in freak out mode at the moment. Will do my own homework as well, but any tricks would be greatly appreciated!
IMG_9300.JPG

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't freak out. If you do please provide video.

If you can, put it in a shallow container or plate so we can see the top side of of it for a better ID.

Off the top of my head is say it's not a flat worm. I'd bet slug.

OP
OP
ReeferMaddness843

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do. But it, along with 10 or so others was in one of my acropora that shows signs distress. Super pale and skin peeling off multiple acros. Not to mention the dreaded white circles that look like bite marks on the shaded side of my smooth acros.
On an upside, I've been blowing them off all my acro as soon as I noticed one, and my damsels love them.
I'll get a topside shot in a moment.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't panic! The first question is, can you remove all of your SPS from your main tank? If so, you should do so and dip all of them in coral RX or revive. Then repeat this dip every week, for several weeks. If you do this, you should be able to eradicate them. If you can't remove all of your SPS, well... things are not so good. You can try some of the in tank remedies like Flatworm Exit, but those can be hit or miss and if you don't follow directions perfectly, you could have a mass die off and toxins depending how bad the flatworms are.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melev has the most comprehensive FWE write up on the net.

Def keep the turkey basteing up. And ready to dip and dip. I had to do the same for the zoa nudis.

OP
OP
ReeferMaddness843

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, AEFW confirmed through research and fellow reefers. I want to document my steps here so as to possibly help someone in the future.
My Plan:
1) establish a QT tank for all acropora
2) dip in a Bayer solution every 3 days for 6 weeks until everything is clean in the QT.
3) Remain without acropora in main display for 3-4 months until tank is clear. Add carbon to sump to help absorb some toxins from die off of the ones my damsels and royal gramma don’t eat. I will continue basting rocks and corals daily until I get a run of nothing showing up.
4) Take advantage of the time and remove all sand from the DT to go bare bottom. Also finally get around to fragging my zoas and LPS before reintroduction of acropora.
5) return all healthy coral to the display and turn the qt tank into a frag tank and future QT for New frags.

OP
OP
ReeferMaddness843

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I complete each step, I’ll add my solutions and procedure as I go.
So far, I have setup a QT tank (20 Long). Borrowed a gyre 150 from my main display (overkill, I know lol). Ordered a Mars Aqua 300w LED. Created the frag rack. Got the tank up and running. I’m about to do my Bayer homework and see exactly what I need to do there. Everything I post here is specific to my encounter. I can’t guarantee the safety of anyone else’s attempt to follow my regiment, but just wanted to document my procedure. Happy reefing!!!

OP
OP
ReeferMaddness843

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, here we go.
Day 1: I broke off as much acro as I could from the rock and was able to fit into a 3.7gal aio. I began with a dip of CoralRx, as that’s what I had on hand. The number of worms that came off totally shocked me. They were all dipped, rinsed, and added to the immediate holding tank.
Day2: Went our and purchased a 20Long tank, created a frag rack, mixed up some new salt water, relocated gyre to QT, ordered a new light (mars aqua 300w led) for the qt. Debating on a Bayer dip and relocate to the qt for the eve or get rest and hit it heavy in the am.
To Be Continued.......

Aside from the floating rack and a lack of light till Wednesday, the qt is a GO!!
977D0FF8-0E9B-4EB1-AC6E-1BFAFD602106.jpeg

Here is one of my acro after being out of the main display and into a temp holding tank while I build up my qt. Already looks amazing as far as the polyps go. I have NOT seen this much extension as long as I’ve owned this frag.
9C68C36E-BEF9-4979-B8CF-C49732497B41.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back