Flatworms!!!!

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you caught it early! Same here. Been getting the qt all setup and sticking with the Coral RX regiment. Going well so far. I think I’m doing Bayer, manicuring, and replugging the whole lot next round. I too need to scrape the display so the clock there hasn’t started yet either.
Wish you all the best as well in the battle.

I pulled a few last night, dipped and started them in the QT and did the rest today. Today I was more diligent about trimming/removing bases, existing plugs etc. I tried to check for eggs but...I don't think my eyes can see that stuff. I'll just hope the diligent weekly/every 5 day or so dip will eventually get them all.

I'll be following your progress and hope we both find ourselves successful!

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely have flat worms, unlike what I saw here, they have a split back end. I will post a pic tomorrow when I siphon some out. They seem to like my recordias and other mushrooms most, although I have found them on trumpets/candy and seasons greeting monti. What I have been doing which works pretty effectively is I take a long piece of rigid airline and attach it to flexible. Then I start siphon into a 120um sieve in the sump below. It sucks them right off corals and into the sieve! I have eliminated most this way. Currently don't have a wrasse but I think I will get one as a preventive.

OP
OP
ReeferMaddness843

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a six line wrasse yesterday. Don’t know what he’s getting on, but he’s making his rounds to all the plugs and nipping away today. Was a little shy yesterday, but out in full hunt mode today.

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is a pic of what I have. Do these look like yours??
wormpic2.jpg

OP
OP
ReeferMaddness843

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is a pic of what I have. Do these look like yours??
wormpic2.jpg

Can’t really tell from pic, but I believe the one on the right is a chiton of some type. Mine didn’t look like the purplish one to the left either. The ones I had/have looked clear almost. Pretty much blended into whatever they were on. Best wishes on the hunt should you have them!
I’m doing a Bayer dip and trim on Saturday/Sunday eve. Will keep everyone updated.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I'm tracking alk levels in the QT, but not dosing unless I end up needing to. My thought is that corals will be stressed enough and under different lighting such that growth will probably be non-existent.

Alk when they went into QT was 8.5 two days ago. Today it was 8.2. Which could just be testing/error/deviation but I'll continue to check it every couple days and dose if needed. I was surprised to see a drop though.

Also planning to try to pick up some Bayer and switch to that for my dip, which I think will be less harsh overall. My Hawkins is starting some STN, so I wouldn't be surprised if I lose that. A shame, it's a nice little mini colony. :(

Coralfuture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I dip all my corals through Bayer and it works amazing! My QT is more than most but never had a pest in display system and have only lost 2 corals total to the system(both deaths were my fault sadly tho). Overall fairly cheap to have and operate as well and never turn the systems off.
3e77e97d01b94ac3ccec2613f447a24e.png
6c2b0395e1902a29e048abc0fac5a568.png

That's my QT system Stage 1-3 based on threat levels
Also sorry its not well lit or open its just lights out time when I took the photos

Last edited:

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Bayer arrives today! I’m either dipping tonight or tomorrow if I can’t find time tonight.

I want these worms gone!

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ReeferMaddness843 how's your journey coming along?

I dipped mine in Bayer a week ago and found a few worms in the bottom of the container once it was all over. I did my second Bayer dip today, so I'm three weeks in and dipping weekly. I didn't see any worms in the container this time unless they were so tiny I couldn't see them.

I've lost a few along the way, my Hawkins colony was all but gone today so I sacrificed that. I also had a couple other frags STIN and just disposed of what remained there.

Nothing really looks great. Brown and stressed for the most part. We'll see what makes it through, but still a long ways to go.

Alk has dipped fairly low in the QT, which could be part of the issue, so I need to find a way to remedy that. I finally scraped the encrusted remains the in the display as well, so I'm 3 weeks behind on that part. I anticipate probably another 3 weeks of dipping and then I'll just observe but keep in QT since display was just reset today. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
ReeferMaddness843

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The journey sucks! Lol. I’ve been browsing the forum but been kind of playing background lately. Super stressful to say the least.
As far as the sticks in qt I’ve had a few hiccups that have made matters worse. No more worms anytime I dip and the healthy frags have good PE although most are browned out or a pastel beige. I attribute a few things to that though and not the worms so much. First, my heater was heating about 3-4’ Above temp I set it to. Found out I’ve been running 80-82’ Which is 3’ higher than my display. Secondly, I purchased and SCA 301 skimmer for the qt. It wasn’t pulling any gunk for a while and I just blew it off as a new tank with little to pull as well as being a break in period. I later noticed there was a brown film in the bottom of skimmer, but it was dry. Turns out there was a leak at the collar of the skimmer neck and all that nasty was just recirculating the tank. Oddly enough, 2ppm nitrate was the highest reading I got. Once i did a bead of glue around the neck, I’ve pulled about 2 full cups of skimmate in 4 days. Ran a little wet to catch up, but nonetheless, it was a non transparent brown. Tank looks great, clear water after skimmer fix, good readings consistently with gallon a week changes in a 20L. (NO3 2, ca 460, Alk 8.3, mag, 1470, po4 undetected on Salifert I know they suck for low level po4, just what I have.)
So far I have lost amid the mayhem: SC Orange Passion, Joe’s Tricolor, 24k acro, albino echinata (however that’s spelled), a few more I’m happy I can’t name off the top of my head.
Oh, and something has gone awry in my display as well. Zs and Ps as well as LPS all look great, although all of my montipora has gone brown and white (no other changes), my JF Raja Rampage chalice randomly decided to melt while the other 7 I have show growth.
It’s been a bumpy road and if it weren’t for my supportive wife, I’d have probably thrown in the towel honestly.
Will continue to push though. It’ll all work out in the end. Right? Lol!!
Glad to hear progress seems to be going well your way. Sorry I bailed the thread. Was getting so frustrated. Ha.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The journey sucks! Lol. I’ve been browsing the forum but been kind of playing background lately. Super stressful to say the least.
As far as the sticks in qt I’ve had a few hiccups that have made matters worse. No more worms anytime I dip and the healthy frags have good PE although most are browned out or a pastel beige. I attribute a few things to that though and not the worms so much. First, my heater was heating about 3-4’ Above temp I set it to. Found out I’ve been running 80-82’ Which is 3’ higher than my display. Secondly, I purchased and SCA 301 skimmer for the qt. It wasn’t pulling any gunk for a while and I just blew it off as a new tank with little to pull as well as being a break in period. I later noticed there was a brown film in the bottom of skimmer, but it was dry. Turns out there was a leak at the collar of the skimmer neck and all that nasty was just recirculating the tank. Oddly enough, 2ppm nitrate was the highest reading I got. Once i did a bead of glue around the neck, I’ve pulled about 2 full cups of skimmate in 4 days. Ran a little wet to catch up, but nonetheless, it was a non transparent brown. Tank looks great, clear water after skimmer fix, good readings consistently with gallon a week changes in a 20L. (NO3 2, ca 460, Alk 8.3, mag, 1470, po4 undetected on Salifert I know they suck for low level po4, just what I have.)
So far I have lost amid the mayhem: SC Orange Passion, Joe’s Tricolor, 24k acro, albino echinata (however that’s spelled), a few more I’m happy I can’t name off the top of my head.
Oh, and something has gone awry in my display as well. Zs and Ps as well as LPS all look great, although all of my montipora has gone brown and white (no other changes), my JF Raja Rampage chalice randomly decided to melt while the other 7 I have show growth.
It’s been a bumpy road and if it weren’t for my supportive wife, I’d have probably thrown in the towel honestly.
Will continue to push though. It’ll all work out in the end. Right? Lol!!
Glad to hear progress seems to be going well your way. Sorry I bailed the thread. Was getting so frustrated. Ha.

Sorry to hear of your issues, I'd say my road as far as QT has been fairly bumpy as well with a few losses. My QT is skimmerless and hair algae is starting to crop up now. Ugh. I took a toothbrush to each frag plug yesterday during the dip, will probably have to keep that up for the duration. As far as algae in the tank...not much to do about that but let it ride. My only filtration is some MarinePure Biospheres and a bit of carbon I change after each dip.

My colors are lacking as well, I attribute it to not only the dipping/stress but light change. They came from MH to LED. I think the best I can hope for is that some will pull through and then once they get back in the main tank wait ages for them to color up again. It is certainly a frustrating journey!

As for your skimmer, I have an SCA 302 on my display which hasn't been pulling much skimmate as late, even though the fish load is the same. Now you've got me paranoid it has a similar issue to yours. I'll be checking it tonight. :)

OP
OP
ReeferMaddness843

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping head as high as I can at the moment. Should start a support group for people with tank problems. “Hi, my name is John and I have flatworms......” lol thanks for the support, best wishes your way as well!
The skimmer leak was all around the skimmer cup, between the cup and neck. I filled the cup with water, dried the whole outside of the cup and neck, sat it on the counter, and sure enough there was a ring around the neck beginning to form. Just watched it for a few and could see it coming out. Very sneaky spot as with it being connected to the skimmer in use you’d never notice it.

OP
OP
ReeferMaddness843

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting for me changed as well. Still led to led. But, I lost The uv channel going mars aqua rather than SB. Plus the whites are a bit warmer than those of an SB so it was a spectrum change for sure.

OP
OP
ReeferMaddness843

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Multiple dips. Multiple days of basting all rocks. Maaaaaany losses, not only to flatworms I’m sure. But, added this guy back to the display roughly a week ago and think. Sorry for neglecting this thread. Was getting a bit discouraged and frustrated as I also had another main tank issue. Without realizing, Used mold/mildew Free poly filter and other things went awry. On the upswing from that now. But, this guy shows promise so my adventure continues.....
JKR Cannibal Lectar coloring back up and showing potential.
D3E79E2B-FF34-4A74-AFF7-4A1BED25782F.jpeg
624C3169-4F9B-4C9E-B05D-76B72399D462.jpeg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back