Fleece Rollers and Herbie/Bean Animal Overflows

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a Bubble Magus Fleece Roller for my new build. They were priced right and after scouring the net I could not find one bad review after they fixed the weak motor problem.

I am trying to figure out how people are using fleece rollers and an overflow with a full siphon line in it.

That requires the fleece roller to have 2 intakes. Mine only has 1. Most only have 1.

What are others doing for this? I don't want to hack mine but it's looking unavoidable. Should I just send the full siphon line through it and the other drain (trickle drain I call it) into the sump unfiltered?

I'm just wondering if anyone came up with something or had a similar dilemma or am I overthinking it?

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like above, it’s not necessary to filter the emergency drain. That said, I plumbed my emergency drain to mine. I plumbed it between the rolls and high enough above the water so that if the main clogs and more than a trickle comes out, I can hear it like you’re supposed to if something’s wrong. I just used a section of flexible hose so it’s easy to move out of the way when changing fleece or removing the unit for a deep clean.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a bubble magus myself with a herbie, the emergency is unfiltered as its just that a emergency.

I don't know why they tell folks to set up emergency drains as a trickle drain, its pointless imho. I have about 2 inches between the primary gravity drain and the emergency drain.

Now my emergency drain does drain into the sump above the usual waterline so I can hear it splash into it and know somethings up.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back