Flexible PVC Coupling

Shameless_Dood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked one of these up for the new tank. Was going to use it right after the return pump to help with some vibrations and give me some room for error on the rest of the PVC return line.

It has a little bit of a smell to it and a couple of the bullet points on the label make me wonder...safe to use?

20170112_110522.jpg

SteveSTL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably the same stuff as flexible PVC so it should be safe. Potable means safe for human consumption. I've read some reviews on it and you can't put it under pressure (meaning have a valve after it and shut it off) - the pipe will expand and blow. However, this is under house pressure, your pump will probably be much less so shouldn't be a problem.

OP
OP
Shameless_Dood

Shameless_Dood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably the same stuff as flexible PVC so it should be safe. Potable means safe for human consumption. I've read some reviews on it and you can't put it under pressure (meaning have a valve after it and shut it off) - the pipe will expand and blow. However, this is under house pressure, your pump will probably be much less so shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, "should be". I'm using a vectra and will use the speed controller to control my flow rate so no valves. The only back pressure should be from 3 90's, a couple unions, and the run of the PVC.

Anyone using one?

spinycheek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd guess it has more to do with regulatory approval for indoor plumbing applications than not actually being suitable for it. Indoor plumbing pressure is usually around 60 psi, an aquarium much less so.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 188 71.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back