Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To many things will or can go wrong.
But it's not all bad.

What's Your Problem With Bio-Pellets? - Reef Central Online Community

I have a brand new reef octopus bio-pellet reactor never used and bio-pellets with it.
I'm afraid to use it.
Of course now with my zeovit I don't have to any more.

Well, too late. ;) :D

I know nothing about Zeovit, so I've been kind of being clear. Seen some awesome Zeo systems, don't get me wrong!

Send from my Droid RAZR using Tapatalk2... Please excuse any typos...

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To Late??

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running 250ml of biopellets and 3/4 cup of GFO right now. :D

I don't recommend this on most tanks,btw. I just have a funny feeling that it will work for me. ;) (fingers crossed)

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time I had a funny feeling I won a bicyling road race in San Antoine.
This has nothing to do with biopellets but feelings do work!

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man. :) I've always been a gut feeling kinda' guy. ;)

I'm currently in the process of get my little 10g tank online, to house the blackworms. I'd like to see if I can keep the longer than expected. Plus rinsing them everyday could get annoying, I'd imagine.

I plan on keeping the little tank under my display. I guess we'll see how it goes. :D

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, as stated above, due to high nutrients, I started GFO and biopellets yesterday. I soaked the pellets for several hours then introduced them. The pic I have on here is showing them sticking a bit. They are flowing nicely today. I added 250ml of biopellets yesterday, and 3/4 cup of GFO. Had to put a sock back in the sump due to GFO dust... I'm sure a lot of you know what I mean that run the stuff. I already see a difference today. It's subtle, but nice.

Also added my first LPS. This one was sold to me as a white plate coral. It was cheap, and pretty big, so I bought it. :D

First thing I needed to do was to finally build out my manifold. I freed up 2 pumps by doing this, and another will be freed up soon. Here's a pic:

From right to left, the ball valve is for the return to the refugium... haven't run that yet. Next line goes to a BRS reactor with Ecobak Biopellets in it. Then, a line to a BRS reactor with BRS GFO in it. Finally, a line to my calcium reactor. Over on the right of the the last ball valve you see is the run to my chiller.

Here's the stuff I used...

Here's the plate after a few minutes in my tank.

Here's the reactors on the go.

Shot of the 'fuge now.

Here's the little 'fridge.

Here's the worm keepers.

That's pretty much it from yesterday. I did setup a 10g tank, under my display tank, to house the blackworms. I hear they live for a long time in a FW tank and eat algae wafers. I got a AC 20 HOB filter, bubble stone, air pump, and a 10g tank to get things going. I'm letting the tank dechlor naturally before adding them. May add a little Prime, but I guess we'll see how it goes. :)

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And my updated FTS. The rockwork has been messed up due to my having to catch the angel outta there. Still got tons of room to fill in, though.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome white plate, and that FTS................................CRAZY!!

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're too kind, Diesel! I really don't like the "mound of rock look, but I may be stick with it. Most of my corals have encrusted.

I may have stick my grubby paws in the tank again. Nothing good ever comes of that! LOL!

tektite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty much it from yesterday. I did setup a 10g tank, under my display tank, to house the blackworms. I hear they live for a long time in a FW tank and eat algae wafers. I got a AC 20 HOB filter, bubble stone, air pump, and a 10g tank to get things going. I'm letting the tank dechlor naturally before adding them. May add a little Prime, but I guess we'll see how it goes. :)

The main thing is just getting a biofilter going to keep ammonia down, and they can live for months. So much easier than rinsing them all the time in the fridge! They do like to be in shallow running water though, unsure how they'd do in just a normal tank. At least in high population numbers, I know some freshwater people have them living naturally in their gravel. Keep in mine with the water for them, if you have chloramines like most of the places in our area, an airstone will not remove that.

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be getting a 40w UV Sterilizer and 800w Finnex heater today. Friend of mine is selling them, and I figured... what the heck? :)

I know some folks don't like UV's, but I always have. I don't expect it to do anything other than keep the water clearer. I have no expectations of it killing any MI or anything... so, no debates. ;) LOL!

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good...

IMG_20130416_205142_480_zps5bd5eda3.jpg

They seem to like it better in there and are eating well. ;)

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, you'll have to report back on the blackworm tank. If you can get it working pretty good, I might have to order a big batch like you did. Everything else looks great Leo!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 55.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 27 23.3%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back