Flip's Reef

larangcon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Flip, I had the same growth on my slimer, grew straight up, one of the guys suggested of cutting it in half and he was right branched out all over, I have two large colonies branching out, just a suggestion, but still looks cool straight up though.

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... OTOH, I went to school for several years, and all I got was this carpy sub-panel. LOL!

LOL, that's awesome! Well, you've done an awesome job with it. I think I'm going to try my hand with some low-voltage lighting for my back yard first before I make the leap to installing a new panel ;)

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's all good, bro! ;) I seem to spend more time outside than in any way. :) He's doing really well in the refugium right now.

Hey Flip, I had the same growth on my slimer, grew straight up, one of the guys suggested of cutting it in half and he was right branched out all over, I have two large colonies branching out, just a suggestion, but still looks cool straight up though.

Interesting... I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

LOL, that's awesome! Well, you've done an awesome job with it. I think I'm going to try my hand with some low-voltage lighting for my back yard first before I make the leap to installing a new panel ;)

Oh yeah! I did that with some LEDs for the pool and landscape lighting as well. It's pretty easy to do. I want get my front yard done up like my backyard. I have an additional panel out by the pool that has it's own breaker off my pool's control box. I can control my landscape lights with the remote control in the house. :)

The scariest part, hands down, is flipping the switch! :/

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing at all, bro. Just watching things grow and encrust. Moved some stuff around, but nothing major. My fuge is looking nice and gritty, though! I mean, it's foultastic!

I haven't done a water change in a long time, and haven't tested parameters. I've been too busy to even go in that room. LOL!

Sad... I know...

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well sounds like you have the tank pretty well set up so it can operate on auto-pilot for awhile, which is awesome. Leaving things be is one of the best things we can do for our tanks...too bad I can't seem to do that! lol

Looking forward to seeing some new pictures sometime.

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well sounds like you have the tank pretty well set up so it can operate on auto-pilot for awhile, which is awesome. Leaving things be is one of the best things we can do for our tanks...too bad I can't seem to do that! lol

Looking forward to seeing some new pictures sometime.

Yes, it's pretty much on coast right now. Other than moving some livestock into the display, I really haven't done much. Spring is here, and I forgot how awful it was to be a homeowner. I just converted our swimming pool to a salt system, and had to get sprinkler repairs done. Don't get me started on the pest problems we've been having! Ugh!

With that stuff nearly behind me, I still need to get my electrical work done for the tank. It's warming up out! Tank's staying under 80 degrees, but still... better safe than sorry. I'm hoping to get that worked out "real" soon.

Loving the whole setup! Looking foward to the 2x 350-400 gallon build and updates on this setup.

Thanks man! That build should be coming soon. My wife and I are torn between doing that, or upgrading this current tank to a standalone 540g. We definitely have the space, and it's already got the life support plumbed in. We'll see. My wife likes the idea of leaving our current "built-ins" alone (there are some bookshelves built into the wall where I was going to put my 2 bigger tanks), and just letting me upgrade this tank. Like I'm going to fight with her. ;) Either way, I'm quickly outgrowing what I have and will need to act quicker than I had planned.

larangcon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along...
Nice built thread, a lot of viewers, you're getting famous man.

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
540 would be incredible too! I suppose I'd follow along for that one. :p

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along...
Nice built thread, a lot of viewers, you're getting famous man.

Haha! Now that's funny. :D Thanks!

540 would be incredible too! I suppose I'd follow along for that one. :p

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Thanks man! That's what we were thinking. I'd be able to get the length I would like out of a tank that large. If I were to do the two separate tanks, the lengths soups be limited to 5'. Not terrible, but not optimal either...

Decisions, decisions... Right now, I'm just trying to concentrate on this smaller water box. :D Now that I'm caught up with other "honey-do's," I'll try to get back at it. ;)

Thanks for the support so far guys!

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been awhile since my last update. Really, I'm just sitting back and watching the glass turn green. :)

I did get some work done this lengthy weekend. The stand is actually built now and being painted. I spilled an entire can of oil based KILZ on my wife's throw rug. :doh: I got it all over my clothes, and my Yakima Skybox! Double - :doh: !!! I guess that's what I get for not clearing out a good space to paint this thing. It's 8' by 2'. Not sure how tall, but it's taller than the one that the refugium is currently on.

IMG_20130329_155515_796_zps2dc6b04a.jpg

IMG_20130329_191339_540_zps3a7684b1.jpg

IMG_20130329_200629_969_zps9b2902dc.jpg

The pics above are before I cleaned up that part of the garage. I'll take another pic tonight after I put a couple more coats on there. You can see the difference in this stand and the other one. I used some "gussets," I think they're called... (that's what we called them in metal fab, anyway). I also used my KREG for pocket holes and dude! I'm loving that thing! Yes Scott... I used the correct screws. :)

That's really all I did this weekend and it really felt like a lot more than what you see. Maybe the paint spill caused that. LOL!

Here's some "then and now" shots of a couple of corals, too.

IMG_9312.jpg

Then

6b170c4d-2776-4c49-8c89-a27b69627c63_zps46946f1e.jpg

Now (cell phone pic)

IMG_9530.jpg

Then

IMG_20130330_224947_529_zpse3974849.jpg

Now (again... cell pic)

That last pic surprised the buddy that gave it to me for free because he couldn't get it to encrust or something. I don't seem to be having a problem, thank goodness! :)

More to follow, and I hope you all had a PHAT Easter! ;)

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impressive stuff, as always! But that was such a tease, I know there's a lot more going on in that tank. :)

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, apparently I had/have AEFW on that coral above that looks like it's lightening up in color. I dunno... I removed it and QT'd it just in-case. I've been so busy with work that I haven't had time to do anything. I do plan on getting some work done this weekend and snapping some pics off.

I did get the refugium/sump stand, out in the garage, done. It's not in-place yet. These pics are turrble! But, here they are anyway:

IMG_20130402_221914_072_zps9421befa.jpg

IMG_20130402_210228_421_zps56d1e376.jpg

IMG_20130402_210159_881_zps6c453ab6.jpg

IMG_20130402_210143_501_zpsc1c80f37.jpg

IMG_20130402_210125_381_zpscc4f9baa.jpg

Yeah... That should do me good for awhile. ;) I plan on getting in-place this weekend, when I get home.

Oh, I did decrease my photo-period in the main tank because the corals were getting punched in the gut with Radiums! LOL! I'm at 6 hours now. I may do some LED supplementation just to see the fishies longer. We'll see...

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just jumped in on a group buy for 2 of those Jebao WP40 powerheads. I actually purchased 6 because two of my local buddies want a couple for their setups, to try out. Will give my opinion of them when they come in. I paid $58/each for them due to the group buy's amount they are purchasing. Only downside is that it will take over a month to get them, to save on shipping charges. That's what seems to be where the majority of our money goes to when we buy these overseas products... shipping! I swear... If I lived in China, I'd have the PHATtest reef on the planet! LOL!

Any way, tonight I move the stand in place. I should be home to do it. Tomorrow, a buddy of mine is coming over with an electrician to "help out." :) I'm hoping to get all this garage nonsense behind me soon.

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, today I got the new stand in place. This took all day because it was just me. The refugium was drained to the sand, and all rock was removed, but there was still a little water in there. It was very heavy to move up onto the new stand. I really should have had a buddy come over or something, but oh well... It's done!

Here's the before picture. I really can't believe that I built this stand. It was a very bad decision to do this, but I did it anyway. It's very unlike me. I think I was just eager to get everything going, or something... Ugh...

IMG_20130406_154018_414_zpsa301869c.jpg

It really does embarrass me to post that pic...

Here's the new stand with most everything in place:

IMG_20130406_225142_203_zpse81c597d.jpg

IMG_20130406_225230_184_zpscf6770f7.jpg

Since it's dark out, it was hard to get the picture turn out. I like this setup much better. I feel safe knowing that the stuff is very secure. I also have more room under the tank to do maintenance. Very happy about that! :)

Well, I should have the electrical work done out there tomorrow. I'll try to get as many pics as I can, and I'd also like to show off my new fish. I got some really great deals on them!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%

Back