Flip's Reef

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atta boy! I subscribed to your build over here, too! I don't think people understand what you've done over there, man! Phenomenal work!

On another note, I should be getting my Ca reactor regulator today (the nicer one)! I'm fist pumping right now! :D

Man, I thought that I was a rookie but the put me already at the 180+ big boys.

Becareful not pulling a muscle with that pumping, the DL list is not where you wanna be.

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any way, I hate my stand in the garage. I'm rebuilding it.

More to follow!

I need to build a new stand for my QT/water storage in the near future . Are you just free-flowing in your designs or did you get them from somewhere? And, as always, looking forward to seeing more!!

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little bit of both, man. I drew up what I wanted, and incorporated some ideas I've seen in real life. All gravity fed, save the mixing pump on the ATO/Reservoir/Salt Mix station. Pretty easy, but I didn't use any unions on it because I'm ghetto like that (mostly dry fit stuff, where pressure wasn't a concern. :D I guess since this is for the "long haul," I may as well set it up fo' life!

So, tonight I on-lined my Ca reactor. The regulator is phenomenal so far! I set it for 1 "drip" every 3 seconds for now. One thing about Ca reactors is you have to check parameters after a certain period of time. It's obviously not immediate, so I'll check tomorrow evening. Still dripping kalk, too. Kalk has been all I've used up to this point (with an occasional squirt of Alk here and there). It's been amazing on it's own, but now it's time to test something new on the system. This may sound crazy, but my I feel as though my corals have already gotten all happy! Mag looks fluffier, corals are reaching out there! All looks great! Well, except the fact that I didn't rinse the media and it's a bit cloudy right now. LOL!

Oh, did I mention that I'm getting some nice coralline algae growing on the back of the DT now? :D Very happy to see this!!!

I'm still working on pics guys, but trust me when I say all looks great and I'm very happy how things are going so far.

Here's some random phone pics of "stuff."

2013-02-12_18-10-20_56_zps8c07931a.jpg

2013-02-12_18-10-48_294_zpsfaea3c3c.jpg

2013-02-12_18-11-46_787_zpsaa4ae0e8.jpg

2013-02-12_18-14-49_424_zps8c97401f.jpg

Li Ion battery on the back for the counter.

2013-02-12_18-12-37_586_zpsdee40552.jpg

2013-02-12_18-14-08_709_zps0b766dd9.jpg

2013-02-13_19-54-00_806_zps01aff3df.jpg

2013-02-13_19-53-48_756_zpse3535c55.jpg

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, Leo this almost looks like your own brewery...........well Coral brewery that is.

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL! Well, almost there! :) I just have to get the stand in-place, which requires breaking the entire garage setup down. That's going to suck, but ah well... I've had to do it before. I also need to tie in my chiller. I've been working on the electrical runs myself and it should look clean, with a dash of industrial. LOL!

Of course, the final thing I'll do is clean up all the wire runs. I really like how Mark L. set his runs with panduct under the tank. Super clean install, and really keeps the wires where you can get to them quickly. I'm going to have to hit up my Grainger catalog here soon. :)

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Preciate it, man! :)

Just on a sidebar, since I've received some nasty-grams...

1. I used a Cobalt MJ1200 feed pump for the Ca reactor. It's a good pump! I promise! :D
2. The manifold I built was going to be used, but I knew that it might not work out. It was mostly for fun.
3. The rebuild of the stand is just something I want to do. I could have re-braced, reinforced, add "re" word here, but I like building stuff.

No need in getting nasty about it. I'm still learning things and am doing my best with what I have on hand, first. If I need to spend more money to make it better, I will typically just do it (I think this build thread proves that well enough); but where's the fun in that? I've built a lot of things for fun. They may have been ugly, but the numbers never lie (i.e. Dwyer, par meter, etc...).

Apologies, but things are getting redonkulous, back channel, and that had to be said.

Now, as for my numbers this morning. I noticed that the overall "tank's" pH stayed stable to my numbers prior to lighting off the Ca reactor. Something I did notice was that the secondary chamber had really no effect to the pH numbers. What I mean is, the effluent from the main chamber and the secondary chamber is showing no significant flux in numbers, whatsoever. I'm hoping this will change as it settles in. For me to test this, I use a cup with the effluent dripping into it from the main chamber first. Logged that number away. Then I immediately tie that drip line into the secondary chamber, and watch that pH probe. No change so far.

I know for a fact that the secondary chamber is used to help rid of residual CO2 before it hits the system; so that's good enough in itself... but, I was expecting to see the pH values to go along with that theory (well, theory to me at this point). I guess we'll just have to see as time goes by.

That's the bittersweet part of running a Ca reactor, I see... huge changes don't occur overnight.

More to follow and thanks for reading!

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My numbers tonight are as follows:

Ca - 487 ppm
Alk - 8.5 dKH
Mg - 1365 ppm
Tank pH - 8.08

All is well, so far. I will do another test tomorrow night to see if this is going to work.

Corals are popping, nems are happy, fish are chomping! :) It looks like I just dosed Prodibio Reef Booster, or AV Fuel (for those that know what I mean). The corals look almost like they are glowing right now. Whatever I did (up to this point), has definitely worked in my favor! :D

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My numbers tonight are as follows:

Ca - 487 ppm
Alk - 8.5 dKH
Mg - 1365 ppm
Tank pH - 8.08

All is well, so far. I will do another test tomorrow night to see if this is going to work.

Corals are popping, nems are happy, fish are chomping! :) It looks like I just dosed Prodibio Reef Booster, or AV Fuel (for those that know what I mean). The corals look almost like they are glowing right now. Whatever I did (up to this point), has definitely worked in my favor! :D

Numbers are looking good and glad to hear everything looks awesome. My colors are starting to look a little washed out (ever so slightly) so I think I need to cut back on the carbon/gfo. Happy to hear everything is rockin' in your system.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks great so far man!

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ur doing a great job dude . I am on the same train of thought that the ph effluent out of the first chamber would be lower than the second .
I still have a new co2 bottle n some odds n ends .I was thinking of using my RKL to control a reactor since I have a SL-1 . I don't think I see the need for it yet .
Did u tie in the APEX for the reactor system ? Are you using one or 2 ph probes ?

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using two, bro. I used a backup Pinpoint pH monitor to dial in my readings from one reactor vs. two, but am keeping two pH probes actively on the Apex. I had to get a PM1 module because I have the Lite version of the Apex, not that it matters much anymore.

I really don't see much of a difference at all in running two chambers vs. one, to be honest. I love the numbers I'm getting, but I almost think that a one reactor chamber would've been more than suffice.

Tonight, I only tested Alk (9.1dKH) and Ca (479ppm). I did some tuning to try and keep it around there. The pH is at 8.04 for the whole tank right now. It's much easier to tune the Ca reactor with the Hanna checkers I have, too.

Any way, thanks zibba, rev and P for the compliments, as always. :) I may have to work on some splice work downtown tomorrow, so I may not get to fiddle with the system too much. :( I still owe a bunch of updated shots on the corals, too. I'm getting some decent, yet scary, growth out of some of them. :D

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using two, bro. I used a backup Pinpoint pH monitor to dial in my readings from one reactor vs. two, but am keeping two pH probes actively on the Apex. I had to get a PM1 module because I have the Lite version of the Apex, not that it matters much anymore.

I really don't see much of a difference at all in running two chambers vs. one, to be honest. I love the numbers I'm getting, but I almost think that a one reactor chamber would've been more than suffice.

Tonight, I only tested Alk (9.1dKH) and Ca (479ppm). I did some tuning to try and keep it around there. The pH is at 8.04 for the whole tank right now. It's much easier to tune the Ca reactor with the Hanna checkers I have, too.

Any way, thanks zibba, rev and P for the compliments, as always. :) I may have to work on some splice work downtown tomorrow, so I may not get to fiddle with the system too much. :( I still owe a bunch of updated shots on the corals, too. I'm getting some decent, yet scary, growth out of some of them. :D

Gotcha . U running mag in one of the chambers too ? Funny that dolomite can't be found now and is relabeled as something else . LOL
It's always fun splicing glass . It does suck if your doing it outdoors though . Keep ur chin up , as I sense u are letting small things irritate u . It's all good . As the saying goes "Don't hate the playa, Hate the game ."
Have a good evening bro . I am being forced to drink ginger/lemon tea (waste of time ) and told to crawl back in the bed .

Last edited:
OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sir! Neo Mag, to be specific. It works, too! :)

I don't do much of the splicing these days, but I have to babysit guys that do. You definitely are sensing correctly and I need to zen out on it a bit, but things are starting to irritate me more and more each day.

Ginger/lemon tea sounds good right about now. I think I'm going to join that train of thought, my friend. :)

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a dragon goby to the refugium to help stir the sand up a bit. :) Looks like I lost a frag too. It must've blew off a rock and was hiding in the back of the tank. All bleached out and everything... Don't remember which one it was.

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some pics of stuff from the DT:

IMG_0226_zps54a9d8b3.jpg

IMG_0228_zpsed2f62e0.jpg

IMG_0230_zps8b4a2c82.jpg

IMG_0231_zps4023fb40.jpg

IMG_0234_zps047621ae.jpg

IMG_0235_zpsead33791.jpg

This is that brown coral I got for cheap. It's turning out nicely, but it's a fast grower. Going to have to watch this one.

IMG_0236_zps4f69ba36.jpg

This is a little mille frag that my buddy Robert gave me (maconbits). He said that it wouldn't encrust in his nano. I don't seem to be having that problem. ;)

IMG_0237_zpsb635e82f.jpg

Oregon

IMG_0238_zps2d31bba6.jpg

Superman Monti

IMG_0239_zpsc8d93b5a.jpg

Cali

IMG_0242_zps67f8e6f1.jpg

My cuke came out to play a bit.

IMG_0243_zpsd0a4922b.jpg

IMG_0245_zps95820108.jpg

This is the one that we're calling the GARF Bonsai. Another browned out coral that I got for cheap. He's slowly becoming a favorite, and you can see why.

IMG_0246_zps81128225.jpg

Who doesn't love Purple Monster? :)

IMG_0247_zpsd9d58639.jpg

Yeah... I don't think this one's going to be a problem. Look at the encrustation going on!

IMG_0248_zpsd64c1adb.jpg

IMG_0249_zpsa3ebe5f3.jpg

I think I switched to macro here.

IMG_0251_zps8e91e85f.jpg

The Lokani.

IMG_0264_zps144168a6.jpg

Insane Mille.

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0265_zpsf94c70ee.jpg

Black Mamba Mille.

IMG_0268_zps5915eaa4.jpg

The Mag has lightened up his colors, and has gotten really big! I never feed him.

IMG_0270_zpsc0b8b4d8.jpg

Macro fail!

IMG_0271_zpsa0dc81ea.jpg

Another shot with the macro. I wanted to crop this one, but I love that little coral on the bottom right.

IMG_0272_zps39008cf5.jpg

Macro of this guy, too.

IMG_0273_zpsc7fa3441.jpg

Here's this.

IMG_0273a_zpsf184b280.jpg

Then this! Same coral.

IMG_0276_zps907453f3.jpg

Macro of the cats paw.

IMG_0293_zps100ff84e.jpg

Rainbow Monti.

IMG_0294_zps401b29d3.jpg

IMG_0296_zpsca04dbf4.jpg

This is the Red Planet. It's really hard to get good shots of him.

IMG_0298_zpsb988e28a.jpg

IMG_0300_zps4d0e5fcb.jpg

And, that's it for now. I'm not sure if I'll have the time to mess with finishing the stand this week due to work. But, it's not hurting anything the way it is. All I have left after that is getting the chiller setup, and cleaning up the wiring. Then, I'll just sit back and enjoy for a while. Well, I still haven't secured my canopy to the wall yet, either... but, that one I'm not really counting. :)

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9 of 13 is my favorite .
"Macro of this guy too"
Where is the one I picked out of the second batch u got ?

Sent from my Moto HD on Jelly Bean

Last edited:
OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks bro! That's not all the corals. Just some if them. I still have more I'd like to add too. Mainly waiting to make sure I get the calcium reactor where I want it. Most of the new corals are LPS, but there's a few more SPS I've been eyeballing. :D Wouldn't mind having all dragon pieces and a TDF, that's for sure; but there's a few mille's I want as well. May need a bigger tank. LOL!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 69 30.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 64 27.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 49 21.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 19.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back