Flip's Reef

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great shots, Flip. Those macro shots are nice and crisp. The fish are looking super healthy and I'm loving that clam!

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks dude! Still working on my photography, but I really do believe that it's a lot like martial arts... practice will make "better." Well, hopefully. :D

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some pics of stuff from the DT:

IMG_0226_zps54a9d8b3.jpg

IMG_0228_zpsed2f62e0.jpg

IMG_0230_zps8b4a2c82.jpg
great shots! the Oregon Tort looks like the Empire State building or Sears tower. :hammer:

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks dude! Still working on my photography, but I really do believe that it's a lot like martial arts... practice will make "better." Well, hopefully. :D

It sure has gotten better and will only continue to get better. Seriously, go back and compare some of your older shots to these recent ones -- huge improvement! And, you know I'm not knockin' ya at all! :) Keep it up man.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Leo, how's your foxface doing?
Does he/she leave your corals alone or is there some nipping?
What model is it from the foxfaces?

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Leo, how's your foxface doing?
Does he/she leave your corals alone or is there some nipping?
What model is it from the foxfaces?

It's doing pretty good. It gets grumpy sometimes. Only goes into camo-mode... nothing too serious. Mine is a simple One Spot Foxface or "Siganus unimaculatus." Nothing fancy like a platinum or anything. It does stay a very light color when it's calm. I've always loved these fish. They look like horses when they eat, to me. :)

I've never notice it nipping at anything other than nuisance algae on the back wall or rocks. It loves anything I throw in there, though. Pellets, flakes, Rod's, those frozen brines, mysis, etc... He's a glutton! Just never on my corals.

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man... I forgot to say that my Ca reactor popped a seal on me. I had to get nasty with it, to make it stop leaking... It works now and that's all that matters.

My readings on Saturday were Ca 465ppm and Alk 9.9dKH. Kinda' high, so I tuned the effluent back, and lowered the bubble rate on the calcium reactor. I'll test again tonight to see if that made an impact.

Here's an untouched camera pic from last night (son took this one):
2013-02-24_22-26-25_280_zpse47e96a5.jpg

Everything's alive and well. Seeing some nice encrustation going on. I think that will be the theme of my next photo shoot. LOL!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Glad all is well and the tank is looking good bro.

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checkin' in Leo. Sorry to hear about the mag -- did it sting any corals? Sounds like it avoided the powerheads at least, right? That skimmate is dark! How long did it take to fill up that beast? I'm jealous of your electrical skills.

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, unfortunately the guy did do some stinging. He ticked-off a coral pretty badly, but it's okay now. He seems to be enjoying his new life in the 'fuge. I feed the puffer krill every other day, and I'm sure the nems in there enjoy getting their chomp awn!

That skimmate is one week of skimming. It was a little crazy that week because I was dosing different "things" to try and see if there were any differences. The biggest difference I saw so far was when I used Prodibio Reef Booster. The effects don't seem to last more than a couple of days, though. I hear AV Fuel should take a month to really see changes, but I don't know if I buy into that. I may just kick-it old school for awhile and just leave the tank be. Normal skimmate production is half that, typically.

Dude, electricity is pretty easy to do. I like it better than people because people can't be solved with a simply math equation. :D OTOH, I went to school for several years, and all I got was this carpy sub-panel. LOL!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 68 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 63 27.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 49 21.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back