Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the electrical work is done.

IMG_0508_zps5ac7c299.jpg

You can see the outlets over the empty tank.

IMG_0510_zpsce9bd225.jpg

IMG_0520_zps158825e7.jpg

Doesn't seem like I did much, but this was a huge load off my mind...

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What can I say...........................PRO!

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man! :D

So, basically, the way we (a good friend and his journeyman electrician that works for him) laid this out is the metal clad runs (12/2 wiring) are for 120v receptacles. The GFCI gets hit by the power first, then I have an extra receptacle in the gang ran in series thereafter. That way if the GFCI hits, the whole gang shuts down (series). Standard, but just saying. Both of the gangs seen with metal clad above them are ran to a single pole, 20A breaker in the subpanel. This gives me way more than I'll ever need for the life support of my system. Heck, I can even use the plugs for any other garage tools that I may need to run.

The 230v feed was ran with 10/3 Romex in 3/4" EMT (metal conduit). Yes, that's way overkill, but it was actually cheaper than running single wires through the EMT. Weird, but whatever. The receptacle is a standard 3 plug receptacle that you would see for a dryer in your laundry room. This one runs back to the subpanel, hitting a 30A, dual pole breaker. The cool thing about this outlet is that it can be used for a big air compressor or MIG welder should I need it. I love using those tools, and it's nice to have that option in the garage now. Of course, this summer (Houston gets a little hot in the summer) I plan on using it for the 1HP chiller. The chiller I have runs on 5.5A, and this receptacle is more than enough to keep it happy.

This week, I plan on getting the plumbing done on the chiller. I'm going to send water to it using a Laguna/Askoll 1500 pump, but plan to build a better manifold for it because the Laguna is a pretty powerful pump (torquey!). I'm also going to use the Laguna for returns to the 40g breeder tank that I just got, and the refugium. So, I guess there's a lot of plumbing in my near future. :)

Boring post, but informative for my sake. I forget everything so I like to write it down while it's fresh. :D

Have a great Monday, R2Rers!

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Diesel, looks fantastic man. Not much more to say but just excited to be following along.

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Diesel, looks fantastic man. Not much more to say but just excited to be following along.

I appreciate it man! It definitely took a load off my mind. :) I'm shopping for PVC parts right now. LOL!

On a sidebar, I didn't know Gorilla Glue made PVC cement! I have to try it!

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the chiller plumbed in last night! :D

IMG_20130408_224936_031_zps7161eb4e.jpg

IMG_20130408_224948_988_zpsdae35564.jpg

This next shot is of the chiller's controller after a few minutes. It was at 85 when I started.

IMG_20130408_225007_828_zpsdae3441f.jpg

3 minutes

IMG_20130408_230731_566_zps343a69b4.jpg

15 minutes

IMG_20130408_230817_660_zps5b60c81e.jpg

Nem getting a little tickered-off! LOL!

IMG_20130408_233147_952_zps0bf4a60d.jpg

30 minutes

IMG_20130408_230228_286_zps3284531c.jpg

Had one of these, and hit the sack.

tektite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know much about electrical, but I thought romex is not supposed to be used in conduit?

Looking good!

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a law or anything. It's really hard to pull it through EMT, too. You can use it, but a lot of journeymen find it to be more of an annoyance than anything else. I only did it because it was cheaper this way. Weird.

Thanks Cat! I'm very happy today! Tank is hovering around 80, and my livestock is looking very happy. :) My CBB almost ate some flakes just now! LOL

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's one Hot, Sweet, Cool chiller!

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a beast, sir! :D I'm not concerned in the least about heat this summer. I am working with another friend on another forum on possibly closing that room off, adding a little window AC unit, and have the chiller setup to where it's drawing cooler/dryer air in, and blowing the warm air out into the garage somewhere, though. I'm just going to wait and see how things play out like this, first. :)

In other news, I just ordered 1 lb. of blackworms, three worm keepers, and 2 clear feeder cones from California Blackworm Co. I got a CBB the other day. :) He's eating fine, but nothing dry. Would like to see if I can fatten my guy up as much as Cat's look! :D

I did find out last night that my Psychedelic Mandarin LOVES frozen krill!!! I thawed some out in some tank water, added some Selcon, and he was NOM NOMing away! It was a heckuva site!

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I'm so in need to see this.
My crews are all working in the Benders Landing and I know that's not that far from you.
Let me know when you got a day off and I'll swing by.

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure thing man! I don't mind.

Let's be honest though... I'm pretty sure you have me blown out of the water with your build. :)

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In other news, I just ordered 1 lb. of blackworms, three worm keepers, and 2 clear feeder cones from California Blackworm Co.

Haha, those are going to last you FOREVER if you keep up with them. I've had a small portion in my fridge for at least 4-weeks that I swear is reproducing in the little container in my fridge. The fish love the blackworms but I've mostly been using them for LPS food -- they go NUTS! One of my favorite foods to feed the tank, hands down.

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got them today, dude. You're right! The fish went nuts! The CBB's belly is fat now. :D

I got a little mini/bar fridge for them. It's in the garage now. I'm going to make sure it gets cold enough before I put the worms in there.

renoeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DOG FISH HEAD 90 MINUTE and a beautiful rimless reef, ugh! I feel like you are the more well-to-do version of my college student being.

Awesome tank!

Not to mention all the other bad *** craft brews I see.

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DOG FISH HEAD 90 MINUTE and a beautiful rimless reef, ugh! I feel like you are the more well-to-do version of my college student being.

Awesome tank!

Not to mention all the other bad *** craft brews I see.

LOL! :D

Alright... I like this guy! :D

Send from my Droid RAZR using Tapatalk2... Please excuse any typos...

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of a bummer but I had to move the Imperator to the refugium. :( He was nipping at my Mille's. Dork! I still love 'em. ;) Also moved the puffer back to that tank. He seemed a bit lethargic in the community tank.

Another problem I noticed is my corals are showing signs of too much nutrients in the tank. GFO and biopellets, here I come! :) :( I hate sandbeds!

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, we have Jaws Music.............a classic if it comes to scary stuff in the water!
Now 2013 we got.............Worm Music, as scary to see but not the Music, LOL.

On the nutrients note, stay away from the Biopellts.
GFO, is the way to go, only because you mention it.
Do I use it.............................NOOOO!
Went with ZEOvit.
There is a product from zeovit that helps with nutrients, called zeozym.
Just look it up, used only once a week and the jar last a life time.

Btw, Nice Video L.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back