Float Switch in Protein Skimmer help

JurisHP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi--so I drilled the collection cup lid and attached the float switch (see below). It was rubbing-up against the sides of the skimmer, so I shaved it down with a dremel. Now that the switch itself is about 1/2 it's original size and is not touching anything, it STILL won't activate when the water level in the collection cup gets to the top of the cup.

Any suggestions? It's driving me crazy!

IMG_7623.JPG

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Does the float float? That is, did you cut off too much so the "bob" no longer floats?

2. Did you cut out the magnet in the process of trimming the float?

3. By chance, did you remove the float while trimming and re-installed it upside down?

4. How is this float switch wired....please tell me through a relay?....or if you have a controller, through one of the appropriate modules.

OP
OP
J

JurisHP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Does the float float? That is, did you cut off too much so the "bob" no longer floats? It still floats. I tried it in a cup of water.

2. Did you cut out the magnet in the process of trimming the float? No.

3. By chance, did you remove the float while trimming and re-installed it upside down? No. The wires are up through the bottom of the skimmer lid through the top into my breakout box.

4. How is this float switch wired....please tell me through a relay?....or if you have a controller, through one of the appropriate modules.
Apex.

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the float isn't floating, there's no reason to look any further. It looks like you destroyed the float by taking off too much of the buoyant material. It no longer floats.

Get another float switch. You need to take a file and slightly slot your hole in the skimmer cap and move the switch over so it won't touch inside. If the hole becomes too big, you may have to:
1) Get washers and rubber seals to keep it from leaking
2) Replace the lid.

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure a float inside the skimmer cup is going to be a good long term plan, unless you plan to always run your skimmate tea water wet. Mines more like sludge and would clog that the first week

OP
OP
J

JurisHP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I probably did shave it down too much. But without shaving it down, it touches either the side of the cup or the inside of the skimmer.

It is wired to break out box.

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure a float inside the skimmer cup is going to be a good long term plan, unless you plan to always run your skimmate tea water wet. Mines more like sludge and would clog that the first week

My thoughts exactly. If you're modifying a skimmer to prevent overflows, I'd drill the cup for a barb fitting and use an external waste collector. No moving parts or electronics necessary...

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts exactly. If you're modifying a skimmer to prevent overflows, I'd drill the cup for a barb fitting and use an external waste collector. No moving parts or electronics necessary...

That's exactly what I did....a DIY skimmate container...with a float switch:

DIY Skimmate Container

And if you're interested, I've since redone the float switch in the container.....HERE.

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have to look into that because this just isn't doing the trick.

What optical sensor do you recommend?

Can't say that I have tried a variety of them. The ones I've seen on Ebay are dirt cheap, like $3. I wouldn't rely on one of them saving me from a massive flood but for something like this it could be worth trying. I'm not sure how optical sensors react to being a little dirty on the outside as they rely on internal reflection within the prism and then losing that reflection as water covers it.

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure that an optical sensor will do well for this application. Won't it pick up the foam, instead of the liquid?

On the float switch....I think the fix is to just put the hole where it needs to be so that you don't have to shave the float down.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have to look into that because this just isn't doing the trick.

What optical sensor do you recommend?

Another excellent option that is overlooked, is the Reef Octopus Waste Collector. Your skimmer drains into it, it has a cup that you fill with carbon that sits above so there's no odors, and it has dual sensors that will shut off your skimmer when the Waste Collector gets full. They hold a lot of skim mate, even the 4" diameter one (which I have). I empty it maybe once a month.

208134-reef-octopus4-autowaste-collector-d.jpg

208134-reef-octopus4-autowaste-collector-b.jpg

The ping pong ball floats up and triggers a switch, and then there's an actual float sensor as a backup. Your skimmer plugs into that yellow box so it can power it off.

It's great just to not have to constantly empty the cup. They come in 4" and 6" diameters and are fed by gravity from the skimmer cup drain.

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Myself, I don't really see much to gain by having a secondary can to hold skimmate. I figure if I have to empty something, why not just make it the collection cup that's built into the skimmer?

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Myself, I don't really see much to gain by having a secondary can to hold skimmate. I figure if I have to empty something, why not just make it the collection cup that's built into the skimmer?

It's not just a plain can, it's a form of redundancy protection, and because you empty it far less often. As far as the waste collector, it makes it so you don't have to empty the skimmer cup.... EVER. It makes maintenance easier, and less smelly. You just need to wipe the cup when needed.

But I was also referencing it because aside of it being a container that keeps odors in, it also has DUAL redundancy float switches to shut off the skimmer when the container is full, which is what the OP was trying to accomplish.

A lot of people drain their muck into a gallon jug or something similar. This device has the added benefit of eliminating the smell and it will never overflow. Even comes with a replacement fuse in case of a power surge so the electrical box doesn't short out or damage your skimmer!

He was trying to add a float to his skimmer cup. This is basically an extra large skimmer cup with dual floats already built-in. Why damage, or in this case, mess up, the overpriced lids, when you can use something even better, and keep you gear intact?

Just a suggestion. To each their own.

Last edited:

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a collection canister almost exactly like posted, I find , I set skimmer to fill casister in a week, but clean cup every month, I also use a neck cleaner, it's also a great tool, cleaning your cup to often reduces skimmer production, cleaning not enough has same effect, most skimmers I've used has a sweet spot, the extra capacitie help tune a skimmer, so there's other benifets of external collection canister..many skimmers just start working good when there a little dirty and they usually fill cup before they set in so there is some wasted efficiency removing cup to often . And cleaning to often also reduces efficiency..

Do you use the Avast Marine version? I ask because you mentioned the neck cleaner and they make those as well.

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking about getting a neck cleaner. I'm just waiting on a deal to pop up on one. I don't really find that emptying the cup is difficult or any easier than it would be to empty any other container. When I empty it, I don't use soap so I don't get the slime off of it. I just put it in the sink and rinse it, maybe wipe it out with my hand. It takes about 30 mins before it levels out again, but that's no big problem. My skimmer is in my sump so if it overflows, I'm safe anyway. If I have a secondary container and there's a failure, I could have a big problem.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back