Float switch quick disconnect?

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reef Octo skimmer that has a float valve in the lid. My skimmer controller is ran to a different compartment so it’s a pain to disconnect the lid and remove the cable to clean the lid. Is there a way to make a quick disconnect in the float switch wire close to the lid for easier cleaning?

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something like this? You would have to Solder this in to the Existing Wires, and use the Water Resistant Heat Shrink Tubing, the stuff with the goop in it.

Jamie814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Reef Octo skimmer that has a float valve in the lid. My skimmer controller is ran to a different compartment so it’s a pain to disconnect the lid and remove the cable to clean the lid. Is there a way to make a quick disconnect in the float switch wire close to the lid for easier cleaning?
This is what I used, cut it in half, wire one end to apex and the other end to the float switch.

I have mine setup as normally closed, so when you unplug the connector, the skimmer shuts down as well for easy cleaning. Plug it back in and it starts back up. No need to even touch the apex for skimmer cleaning. :)

OP
OP
A

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I used, cut it in half, wire one end to apex and the other end to the float switch.

I have mine setup as normally closed, so when you unplug the connector, the skimmer shuts down as well for easy cleaning. Plug it back in and it starts back up. No need to even touch the apex for skimmer cleaning. :)

Just bought a set thank you. This is perfect. I assure it’s just an easy strip of the wires and then crimp together and wrap in electrical tape?

I’m using the RO controller to shut off but I guess the apex would be better for this?

WillpoleReefers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it will be important to watch for any corrosion of a socket used near saltwater. Not the kindest of environments for contacts of any sort!

Regards

Steve

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a set thank you. This is perfect. I assure it’s just an easy strip of the wires and then crimp together and wrap in electrical tape?

I’m using the RO controller to shut off but I guess the apex would be better for this?
Solder then heat shrink would be best.
Otherwise, waterproof (somewhat) crimp connectors filled with silicone ("goop" like someone mentioned) is easier but wouldn't look as nice.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back