Floor Drain

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My FishRoom is a dedicated room partitioned off by itself as it's own room. In the basement, concrete floor

Room about 7x7

In the corner a mere 3ft away is my sealed house sump pump. In an adjoining room is the basement drain about 15ft away. It's thru a door and a good distance away to make a 2nd floor drain a PITA to tie into.

I'm dumb enough to flood this room a good 4+ times a year with 1/2 inch tap water,sometime SW.

I have a wet vacuum in the corner but its a PITA to run it. And with electric and standing in water, even with GFCI, not fun...

1) how expensive is putting in a floor drain in the middle of the fishroom so 95% of flood go down this drain?

2) can you tie it into the sump pump? Or will that rust out everything inside the house sump?

Last edited:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi, rodi waste ? AWC ? saltwater?

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Accidental flooding, usually when making 75+ gals of RODI and something overflows bc im doing 7 things at once

Amazing how a mere 5-7 gals can flood a 7x7 room quickly with 1/4 to 1/2 inch

Freddy0144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have done water changes and pumped the water into the sump pump, I always ran fresh water through the sump pump afterward, kind of the same way you flush a motor on a saltwater engine.

The other option is to look around hotwater heater there should be a drain next to it. These pipes could be cast iron depending on how old the house is. so perhaps be careful there too.

Lastly, cutting the concrete floor and installing a drain is not that difficult, it is for sure a PITA, but not difficult, especially if the run is not that long, and the basement is not finished.

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tying it into the sump pump seems to be the best option, in addition to adding a float valve to your RODI container : ) Assuming you are around and know when you flood, As Freddy suggests - flushing the sump pump afterwards with tap will help with any corrosion from saltwater. I finished a fish room last year on a slab, and specifically opted not to put in a drain because it would have been a PITA. I had the one obligatory flood, then put in place some simple solutions to avoid them. I do wish I had a drain though, for sure....

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jackel has a SumpBasin Drain Trap. Model: JSDT Just drill the top, if there’s not already an opening. It’s self sealing so you don’t have to worry about it being wet. Hopefully they did your pit correctly and the top is slightly below floor level. Amazon should have them if Local Plumbing Supply Doesn’t.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back