Flow Advice from SPS addicts n Experts

sromero287

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers im in the process to build my acro garden again after a moving disaster.
My tank is a glass cages 1/2" star fire front and both sides and back is black with a synergy overflow, my return pump is a Vectra M1, and illuminating for an ATI 8x24 powermodule non dimmable, will be 6 T5's and 2 Biotek new Led's bar that replace the t5's royal blue and uv.

Questions:
1)planing for wave makers two MP-40QD's will this combination will be overkill?
2)I am used to bare bottom but this time wants to place a thick acrylic black or white, any ideas where I can find it or any other suggestions.
3)Aquascape already have an awesome manmade rock made from aragonite full of caves and holes and found a really nice piece of Tonga branch, whats the best way to attach the rocks different than drill them (im handicap and cannot use my right arm) so whats an easy and effective glue to keep them stable?

This is my stand and tank, bought it from @XtremeATC, drove from Weston to Tallahassee 980 miles to get it, one of the nicest and helpful person I ever deal with, thanks again.
2a3dac2325a66b7af1d8656169446c82.png
33cbfa40bde593887460e62445558ba4.png

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For reference, I run my SPS grow out tanks (no display currently) which are 40B with two XF150 gyres full blast. Polyp extension is awesome. MP's are awesome, used to use them, now going all gyre's. Using cheap jaebo gyres on non-sps tanks to see how they hold up. Less crucial for me personally.

Personally, I think it has more to do with coral health more than anything else, and new evidence backs up the practice of using really high random flow. Just make sure they're mounted well!!!

IMO, let's see what others say. @Battlecorals do you blast your corals?

OP
OP
sromero287

sromero287

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For reference, I run my SPS grow out tanks (no display currently) which are 40B with two XF150 gyres full blast. Polyp extension is awesome. MP's are awesome, used to use them, now going all gyre's. Using cheap jaebo gyres on non-sps tanks to see how they hold up. Less crucial for me personally.

Personally, I think it has more to do with coral health more than anything else, and new evidence backs up the practice of using really high random flow. Just make sure they're mounted well!!!

IMO, let's see what others say. @Battlecorals do you blast your corals?

Thanks for the info, cause was planning two MP-10's but I prefer dial down the 40's than keep the 10's at 100% all time, what u guys think...

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers im in the process to build my acro garden again after a moving disaster.
My tank is a glass cages 1/2" star fire front and both sides and back is black with a synergy overflow, my return pump is a Vectra M1, and illuminating for an ATI 8x24 powermodule non dimmable, will be 6 T5's and 2 Biotek new Led's bar that replace the t5's royal blue and uv.

Questions:
2)I am used to bare bottom but this time wants to place a thick acrylic black or white, any ideas where I can find it or any other suggestions.
3)Aquascape already have an awesome manmade rock made from aragonite full of caves and holes and found a really nice piece of Tonga branch, whats the best way to attach the rocks different than drill them (im handicap and cannot use my right arm) so whats an easy and effective glue to keep them stable?

This is my stand and tank, bought it from @XtremeATC, drove from Weston to Tallahassee 980 miles to get it, one of the nicest and helpful person I ever deal with, thanks again.

Saw this tank! Going to be nice when you're up and running. I love cubes.

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info, cause was planning two MP-10's but I prefer dial down the 40's than keep the 10's at 100% all time, what u guys think...

Agreed. Always better to have room to play, as things grow you'll need more flow.

I wondered how 60's would be but running lower since the heads are so big, personally not a fan of blasting jet streams and relying on turbulence to spread the flow. 10 minutes into owning and running a gyre I was sold. It's like a controllable educter. They're awesome. If I had any input on your reef I would highly recommend two XF130s or XF150s linked to one controller. Cheaper and better than twpo MP40's IMO if you're keeping SPS.

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's two vids from cam's I use on the outside of the tank to keep an eye on things when I do maintenance and leave. The one you can see a torch (wedged in the corner normally low flow area) whipping from flow. The other sjows the surface and you can see how fast particulate is moving as well as the psammacora movement, and maybe other stuff if you look close.

Attachments

• Untitled_Message.zip
    4.3 MB · Views: 149

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, apparently they're the same. I zoomed on the torch but it's digital zoom so it just recorded the normal view. Torch is back right

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Questions:

1, there is no such thing as over kill in an SPS system, you didn't say how big your tank is

2, I put an 1 " of reef grade aragonite sand on the botom. Sure some drifts and a few bare spots, IMO a few bare spots looks 10x better than all bare bottom. But SPS can do well in BB, try the Internet for a 1/4 acrylic white and cut/silicone it yourself.

3, 2 part reef grade (or equivalent) epoxy. I love TLF epoxy in the tube.

Superglue>epoxy>superglue

This makes really secure bonds

Better yet! Acrylic rods, can be found on Internet. Either drill and epoxy or use holes in the LR

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1, there is no such thing as over kill in an SPS system, you didn't say how big your tank is

2, I put an 1 " of reef grade aragonite sand on the botom. Sure some drifts and a few bare spots, IMO a few bare spots looks 10x better than all bare bottom. But SPS can do well in BB, try the Internet for a 1/4 acrylic white and cut/silicone it yourself.

Better yet! Acrylic rods, can be found on Internet. Either drill and epoxy or use holes in the LR

Does TLF activate the skimmer less for you?

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Better to buy the the mp40s and dial them down ver mp10 full blast. If needed you can always increase

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry... I was reading another thread, clicked on a link, ended up here. I have cranked up 2 mp40s to 100% to stir up tank for a few, it is a cube. BB though.

OP
OP
sromero287

sromero287

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

thanks for the quick answer, I have already the MP-40QD's, im looking on internet for the acrylic board. Appreciate ur help

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the quick answer, I have already the MP-40QD's, im looking on internet for the acrylic board. Appreciate ur help

You can program to get one heck of a standing wave, could use it once a day to get things stirred up.

OP
OP
sromero287

sromero287

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. Always better to have room to play, as things grow you'll need more flow.

I wondered how 60's would be but running lower since the heads are so big, personally not a fan of blasting jet streams and relying on turbulence to spread the flow. 10 minutes into owning and running a gyre I was sold. It's like a controllable educter. They're awesome. If I had any input on your reef I would highly recommend two XF130s or XF150s linked to one controller. Cheaper and better than twpo MP40's IMO if you're keeping SPS.

thanks for the reply, I used to have two gyre's xf230 and only one controller, really nice set up, lots of flow but decided stay with the 40'sQD just because of the noise, gyres are awesome but wayyy to noisy in comparison with QD'S u barely notice them at 90% and the reef link let me change set ups and speeds wirelessly plus controls the Radions in my mixed reef. Thanks!!!!

Timothy Butler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 150 gallon LPS and now trying SPS I started back around 2000 repainting and it's come quite away since then a lot of the coral I have you can no longer purchase in stores they are now a protected species but I aquaculture Bud split to reproduce these corals to sell them back to my Coral dealer and people he refers to me that want access to these corals before anyone gets the corporal's I go and inspect the tank the filters the lights everything and if I don't think he can make it grow I will not sell it to him I'd rather see you dead in my own tank so many people combine so many different corals that run such different lighting and water flow movements it's sad to see nobody tells them to make a tank from a certain part of the global region most of mine comes from Fiji they all have the same light timing water movement lighting environment and any other way to duplicate the natural environment of the corals I pick I've been doing this since 2000 mm and had great successes I hope the pet store I get my Coral from reproduce their corals and they don't use isolation tanks and no one on this site seems to know what an isolation tank is for that one piece you move in that has that disease now it's in your whole tank because you couldn't leave it in an isolation tank for 10 days to see what it has or has not on it number one rule isolate all new inhabitants minimum 10 days dsps are a lot different than LPS back on a new learning curve learn to love new things love to try out new things and always looking for that special piece of coral everywhere in Michigan I go I'm going to Florida in a couple weeks I'm going to the aquaculture places down there to see it happening on a larger scale than mine I cannot wait hopefully I can talk him into a job ideal but people here don't want to listen to what I have to say does not hurt me I have not had a distinct failure in 17 years no disease it's devastated everything I see a lot of people letting there nitrates get up to 5 that's too high I run zero nitrates and 08 phosphates 8.4 two 400w metal halide lights 6 Protech power heads and I tried to give people advice and they don't want to listen to it this little kid he does water changes every other month and he thinks it's okay he's wondering why he's having problems with his corals the trace elements are not being replaced I told them that he said I'm clueless whatever dude

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
sromero287

sromero287

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 150 gallon LPS and now trying SPS I started back around 2000 repainting and it's come quite away since then a lot of the coral I have you can no longer purchase in stores they are now a protected species but I aquaculture Bud split to reproduce these corals to sell them back to my Coral dealer and people he refers to me that want access to these corals before anyone gets the corporal's I go and inspect the tank the filters the lights everything and if I don't think he can make it grow I will not sell it to him I'd rather see you dead in my own tank so many people combine so many different corals that run such different lighting and water flow movements it's sad to see nobody tells them to make a tank from a certain part of the global region most of mine comes from Fiji they all have the same light timing water movement lighting environment and any other way to duplicate the natural environment of the corals I pick I've been doing this since 2000 mm and had great successes I hope the pet store I get my Coral from reproduce their corals and they don't use isolation tanks and no one on this site seems to know what an isolation tank is for that one piece you move in that has that disease now it's in your whole tank because you couldn't leave it in an isolation tank for 10 days to see what it has or has not on it number one rule isolate all new inhabitants minimum 10 days dsps are a lot different than LPS back on a new learning curve learn to love new things love to try out new things and always looking for that special piece of coral everywhere in Michigan I go I'm going to Florida in a couple weeks I'm going to the aquaculture places down there to see it happening on a larger scale than mine I cannot wait hopefully I can talk him into a job ideal but people here don't want to listen to what I have to say does not hurt me I have not had a distinct failure in 17 years no disease it's devastated everything I see a lot of people letting there nitrates get up to 5 that's too high I run zero nitrates and 08 phosphates 8.4 two 400w metal halide lights 6 Protech power heads and I tried to give people advice and they don't want to listen to it this little kid he does water changes every other month and he thinks it's okay he's wondering why he's having problems with his corals the trace elements are not being replaced I told them that he said I'm clueless whatever dude

Thanks for the info no offense but I'm asking for flow advise.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.5%
Back