Flow Advice Needed

  • Thread starter Thread starter dbjonesjr
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

dbjonesjr

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 26, 2018
Messages
443
Reaction score
305
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I have been venturing into the SPS world recently and am looking to help get my corals some more flow. I will likely end up purchasing some more pumps in the near future but am looking to eliminate dead spots as best as possible until the day comes. I currently use a Jebao CP-90 (just a gyre pump) for all my flow except my returns. I can print some random flow generators as well if there is a benefit to that. I think that my aquascape is certainly not optimized for this so any advice on how to maximize flow and minimize dead spots would be appreciated. This could include moving my gyre pump, directing returns, and moving rocks. Thanks in advance.
Also I am sorry if this is not the best place for the post to go. I just figured this would be full of the most knowledgeable people. I will attach pictures from my phone in the below post. The tank is a 90.
 
The pump is currently at the top right.

5CFFF9C3-7208-4B47-9683-AD4EA452F1AC.jpeg
 
for sps tank 10-15 times the volume in the tank per hour will be fine. Maxspect Gyre pumps can deliver pretty good flow and can turn over water many times and are non directional.
If you are using Jebao they are similar to maxspect gyre and work in same way. If one if not enough get a second unit on opposite side and run them on opposite mode.
 
for sps tank 10-15 times the volume in the tank per hour will be fine. Maxspect Gyre pumps can deliver pretty good flow and can turn over water many times and are non directional.
If you are using Jebao they are similar to maxspect gyre and work in same way. If one if not enough get a second unit on opposite side and run them on opposite mode.
Right my big concern is where the best placement is and if basically the two large upright rocks on the left and right side are impeding flow. There’s a ton of flow on the sand bed (probably more than the LPS prefer) and not much in between those two pillars.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 18 20.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 26 29.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 8.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new