Flow draining return

Rabidbeast666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded my return pump on a IM15 to the mighty jet 326. At it's lowest setting its raising my tank level and draining my return. Can I put an inline ball type flow restrictor on without damaging my pump?

slickreefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AC pumps are not fond of restriction but it’s quite alright if the ball valve only needs to be closed about a quarter turn. More than that and I’d switch to a smaller pump or larger drain pipe size. And please correct me if this is an AIO

OP
OP
Rabidbeast666

Rabidbeast666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AC pumps are not fond of restriction but it’s quite alright if the ball valve only needs to be closed about a quarter turn. More than that and I’d switch to a smaller pump or larger drain pipe size. And please correct me if this is an AIO
Yes. It's a 15 AIO. The design itself has a really large volume return. Its putting everything I put in the return into the tank. Level increases majorly. I'm just wanting to down it down maybe a 1/4 to the present flow rate. I'm going to switch to dual return random flow & I'm hoping that will take some steam out of it as well.
Is the lowest setting overflowing the display consistantly?
If not just add more water into the back return section.

If so, put the original pump back in.
The o.g is puny. I think I should have got the one under this at 238 I think. But I'm also going to put dual random flows on. So I may just need to throttle this back a hair. I got 8 more settings of increase just in case. But I don't think that's an issue.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. It's a 15 AIO. The design itself has a really large volume return. Its putting everything I put in the return into the tank. Level increases majorly. I'm just wanting to down it down maybe a 1/4 to the present flow rate. I'm going to switch to dual return random flow & I'm hoping that will take some steam out of it as well.

The o.g is puny. I think I should have got the one under this at 238 I think. But I'm also going to put dual random flows on. So I may just need to throttle this back a hair. I got 8 more settings of increase just in case. But I don't think that's an issue.
The original is designed for a specific turnover for the size of the tank.

Increasing it can actually make your filter section less efficient.

slickreefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You could interrupt it with a ball valve. No big deal as it is the same as any pump which has flow restricted via fins with a gate on the casing built in. Is this your system and the arrow; do you have filter floss there by any chance?

Attachments

• 88ADABFB-D8C4-4159-A75A-73192FDE18C6.jpeg
    88ADABFB-D8C4-4159-A75A-73192FDE18C6.jpeg
    51.6 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
Rabidbeast666

Rabidbeast666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could interrupt it with a ball valve. No big deal as it is the same as any pump which has flow restricted via fins with a gate on the casing built in. Is this your system and the arrow; do you have filter floss there by any chance?
Yes that is my overflow diagram. I bought an after market tray to run filter floss instead of the sock. Have a skimmer in the second chamber with my return in the 3rd.

slickreefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is my overflow diagram. I bought an after market tray to run filter floss instead of the sock. Have a skimmer in the second chamber with my return in the 3rd.
Figured that much. Do not overpack the filter floss which slows down the water velocity, cut it shorter in both width and length to give relief pathways for the water flow. You don’t want the floss hugging all the walls super tight. Any chance that the skimmer fits in the third chamber?

OP
OP
Rabidbeast666

Rabidbeast666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I built the ball valve return line and added dual 1/4" random flow return nozzles. With very little effort was able to adjust tank volume, flow rate and match volume in my return to the old pumps level. Torch has fluffed out the most I've seen it yet. The random flow has him gently swaying like he should be.

OP
OP
Rabidbeast666

Rabidbeast666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waiting for the skimmer to settle back down. But levels are staying constant. Happy with the flow. And confident it will stay there.

Attachments

• 20230704_125351.jpg
    20230704_125351.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230704_125721.jpg
    20230704_125721.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 16

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back