Flow on evo sicce 1.0

tdi64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need info on sicce 1.0. The flow adjustment how much does every turn/click reduce gph? Fully open 251. Does closing it basically shut it off or does it just cut it down a percentage ? Have a evo and cant keep chamber three full with out having chamber 1 to full for all the water to go in intank media basket correctly thank nt s

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Sicce 1.0 in my Evo. You can’t really go by the amount of clicks. If you disassemble it, you can see the opening that the water passes through And adjust accordingly. I run mine almost all the way open. I also have the InTank chamber one basket in mine. My chamber three water level always seem to run a little lower in mine also But I’ve never had chamber one overflow. What type and amount of media are you running in the basket?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

tdi64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Level one filter floss , level 2 chemipure , bottom purigen and media gems. Chamber two carbon and ceramic media that came with evo. Chamber 3 heater pump. Ato by next week

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

tdi64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesnt over flow but the water line goes above intank were its not waterfalling in the water is above the top of tge in-tank basket. Unless thats how its supposed to be

Upvote 0

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get a surface skimmer? That will allow you balance water levels in the display and the "sump" without the Sicce sucking the sump dry.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

tdi64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i dont have the skimmer that came with anymore. I have the i gues the skimmers the intank has but its pushed down as low as i can go or my tank level rises and third chamber goes even lower. Do i need the fluval surface skimmer? Any pics will definatly help. Thank u

Upvote 0

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have it in the right way? The lip faces outward into the display area. The prongs go into the sump. I inserted it backwards at one point and didn't understand why the bioskim wasn't disappearing. Also make sure that the surface skimmer isn't being caught by basket 1. You may have to push down on basket 1 until the surface skimmer fits correctly.

The other problem I've had is too much material in basket 1. Because the Sicce is more powerful than the stock pump, you have to be careful not to overfill the basket, or else water movement through the filtering materials will be too slow. My specific problem was with media gems -- I didn't get the package for nano builds and there were simply too many to allow proper flow along with the chemipure (again, not the nano size) and filter floss.

And have you plugged the back wall in the tank?

I wouldn't use basket 2 at all with the Sicce. It would just obstruct too much of the water flow.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

tdi64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya i am not using the fluval surface skimmer it broke. Just the plastic pieces that came with the intank chamber 1. Yes i have plugged the hole in chamber two. Is my real problem the surface skimmer that came with the tank ? So leave chamber 2 empty ?

Upvote 0

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The surface skimmer is great, but don't panic if it's not intact or you can't use it. The "plastic pieces' that came with the inTank stuff may be a replacement. Use it.

Try this:

-Remove any filter materials from chamber 2. Equipment shouldn't prevent water flow.

-Look at the biogems. Are they in a mesh bag? Is the mesh matted with algae and crap? If so, wash the gems. If bag is clear (or no bag), remove the biogems. I hope they're in a mesh bag. If not, put them in the mesh bag. Is flow better? If so, put the biogems, in the filter bag, in chamber 2.

That fixed my problem. If that still doesn't work, you may have to remove the chemipure. The bag gets clogged with crap pretty easily, and will obstruct water flow. I knew it was time to change mine (after three months) when it started to obstruct water flow.

Upvote 0

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Proper orientation of the surface skimmer.

Attachments

• 2342CF51-4BC2-4F21-A05D-B9AC788CB187.jpeg
    2342CF51-4BC2-4F21-A05D-B9AC788CB187.jpeg
    131.8 KB · Views: 107
Upvote 0

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 3D printed basket but is similar to the intank structure wise. I run floss right at the top that is funneled with a flow director and sometimes carbon on second shelf. I keep my sicce at about 1/3 open and I do feel like I might have too much flow as I cant find a spot my duncan fully extends. On the outlet side I have 2x RFG at 1/4". Do I just keep cutting off flow or should I revert back to a single 1/2" RFG nozzle?

Upvote 0

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that the position of the return nozzles is key. I keep my duncans at the far end of the tank from the nozzles, where the coral is nestled in live rock. It still gets lots of flow, and likes it. I keep one nozzle pointed at the end of the tank, but slightly upwards, so it breaks the surface tension of the water, and doesn't blast tank inhabitants directly. That's the nozzle that's pointed at the duncans. I point the other at the other long side, which breaks up the force of it and sends currents throughout the tank. That seems to keep everyone happy.

Upvote 0

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Also check that the holes in the intank basket line up with the holes between chamber 1 and 2 in the Evo. It might not make any difference but mine weren't quite aligned so I made the holes in the media basket a bit bigger.

I would also look to see exactly what filter media you are using. For example, if running Purigen and Carbon then do you need the Chemipure? Do you need both the media gems and the Fluval Bio filters? Less stuff in the chambers will cause less of a restriction.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

tdi64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its definitely gotten better. Thank u. The water in chamber one is still right at the top of my media basket but its not soilling over the side. Just dont know how to get it to waterfall in. But chamber three is much higher after moving media around.

Upvote 0

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 48.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back