Flow options

OneFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Looking for opinions/feedback on wavemakers.

I have an 18x18 cube mixed reef leaning on the more SPS dominant side which currently has an Icecap 1k gyre (only one half). I am looking to switch to a two wavemaker system because, though the Icecap has a random mode and is plenty big for the tank, it still only hits some of my corals in one direction causing them to not have full polyp extension due to the constant beating. I would like two wavemakers on opposite sides to allow for anti-sync waves and random flow that can hit everything from multiple directions. The Icecap also gets a lot of detritus built up in it daily, so I always have little particles floating in my tank. It also is starting to get a very slight, annoying "whining" sound that I could do without, though it probably just needs a good cleaning. Function, size (reason I like the RN-1/RP-M, Nero, and mp10), and the ability to be controlled (Eflux probably wins that battle) are my, and probably everyone elses, priorities.

I have been looking around and have come up with a few options (all are 2x):

Current USA Eflux 660
Jebao OW-10
Reefbreeders RN-1/RP-M (obviously knocked down quite a bit)
Coral Box QP-5+

Ideally, I would like two mp10wqe's or two Nero 5's, but those are a little out of my range right now (unless one of you has a great package deal :)).

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like my Tunze 6040 it may be a compromise between some of the cheaper options you have listed and some of the higher end stuff. I have one in a 10 gallon and a BioCube and have been happy with both.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like my Tunze 6040 it may be a compromise between some of the cheaper options you have listed and some of the higher end stuff. I have one in a 10 gallon and a BioCube and have been happy with both.
I had a Tunze 6040 in my last tank. I think 2 in this tank would provide awesome flow and controllability

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a separate controller to sync/anti-sync them together?
6040s have a basic built in controller and use a 0-10v for external control. Any controller with 0-10v support can controll them including most aquarium controllers or one of Tunze's 3 different multi-controllers and even things like a Kessil spectral controller.

If you all you want to do is sync them you can purchase a simple cable that links the included controllers and makes one unit the master.

OP
OP
OneFish

OneFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I will have to watch some videos on those! Any experience with any other pumps?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back