Flow Questions 230g Peninsula

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for flow advice on a 72x29×25 peninsula. Internal acrylic overflow box on one short panel, approx 20" wide leaving around 4-5" on each side of box to mount powerheads.

Right now the plan is to have higher rock structures close to overflow end/powerheads for sps, lps in middle of tank and polyps on far end on lower rocks. Not using alot of live rock in display, maybe 100-125lbs reef saver..lots of pond matrix in sump.

I currently have a couple jebao ow-40s and a jebao gyre cp-120 available, but I know this will not be enough. I would like to stay under $500 for additional powerheads and do not want wires running across tank, so would like to keep powerheads on overflow end.

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add another gyre and use what you have with it.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to stay under $500 for additional powerheads and do not want wires running across tan

Options are limited with this. Id just budget more money if you're keeping this long term. Go mp 60's, look best, easy maintenance, last many years.

Otherwise jabeos or gyros, neither seem great, but cost effective.

OP
OP
FishyDP

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Options are limited with this. Id just budget more money if you're keeping this long term. Go mp 60's, look best, easy maintenance, last many years.

Otherwise jabeos or gyros, neither seem great, but cost effective.
How many would you recommend? Have had a hard time pulling the trigger on mps due to cost, and convincing myself that moving water should be this expensive. Jebao OWs have randomized patterns/programs and last quite a while in my experience at 1/4 of the price. Are the mps really that much better?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use jebao. While the mp's seem nice I don't see a way to justify the price. 2 gyres and 2 jebao should be enough.

OP
OP
FishyDP

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use jebao. While the mp's seem nice I don't see a way to justify the price. 2 gyres and 2 jebao should be enough.
Right, my thoughts exactly..maybe the mp users can chime in and explain why they prefer them. I know one of the selling points is no wires inside display, but for and additional $400-500..

Elmer.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2x mp40 and 2 Jebao SW2 for 3 years now. Not the same capacity, but I still have some relevant observations:

The SW2s seem to slow down considerably when getting dirty, which also seems to happen way faster. I clean them weekly and the mp40s only when people visit and they need to look clean ;)

Personally I don't care so much about the cables of the Jebaos. On the outside they are less prominent. The fact that their performance changes as they get dirty makes the tank less stable. However, I agree the Vortechs are crazy expensive, that's why I did not change them out yet. Maybe I should get my phosphates lower and see if that helps ;)

OP
OP
FishyDP

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2x mp40 and 2 Jebao SW2 for 3 years now. Not the same capacity, but I still have some relevant observations:

The SW2s seem to slow down considerably when getting dirty, which also seems to happen way faster. I clean them weekly and the mp40s only when people visit and they need to look clean ;)

Personally I don't care so much about the cables of the Jebaos. On the outside they are less prominent. The fact that their performance changes as they get dirty makes the tank less stable. However, I agree the Vortechs are crazy expensive, that's why I did not change them out yet. Maybe I should get my phosphates lower and see if that helps ;)
If the mps require less cleaning that is a big plus. I would have to agree that my jebaos performance goes down when they are dirty. I have to clean them with a toothbrush every couple weeks, and the flow really picks up after being cleaned..which I agree creates less stability.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just setup a RS 650P 170 total volume 140 DT I believe. the dems are not to far off from yours, anyway I am using 2x 350 Gyres on the over flow end. I just added them last night in fact still mixing the salt but they seem to be doing the job i will have mostly LPS and softies but a few SPS here and there.

I am hoping that will do the trick. I had some Jebao for a few years loved em but 3 went out in 3 monts of each other. would I buy again sure but have a backup or two on hand.

I have never had MP thought about it for this build but went with the maxspect gyres as it gave me more options and there cheaper too.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of love for the Vortechs... Here's an opposing opinion, anyway. Expensive, can't be aimed, and noisy. I know, many don't consider them such, but Vortech's have a whine that is just irritating to me.

I'm a Tunze fan. Reliable, quiet (at least to my ears), you can direct the flow, easily Apex integrated... and man, do they push a ton of water.

I've got a pair of 6155's and a single 6040 on my 140g peninsula. The 6155's are in the bottom corners of the 'back' panel, below the overflow and returns. I've got them tied to my Apex, slowly ramping up and down in inverse cycles. So... right pump ramps from 30% to 80% over the course of 30 minutes, while the left pump is ramping down from 80% to 30% over the same period... and switch. Add in a 5 minute 'cyclone' where both pumps run to 100% four times a day, and you just don't find detritus settling in my bare bottom system.

The 6040 is on the opposite end from the 6155's. No, I didn't want it there, but in order to get the flow and surface motion that I wanted, it was necessary. Directed up, with its own wave controller varying the rate, it keeps the tank from building up a scum on the surface. Just wasn't any way around putting that pump out there.

I did buy a Tunze safety switch and a battery, hooked 'em up to the 6040. That way, I get surface movement and flow even during a power outage. The SLA battery I bought from Amazon lasts for about 30 hours on the little Tunze pump. I've got a trickle charger hooked up to an Apex outlet, powered up a few hours per week, just to keep the battery topped off. Works great!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a total of 8 MPs across four tanks. Plus a few gyres. The gyres are a total pain to keep clean. So I won't add any more of those. I like the flexibility and laminar flow produced, but they are a time suck.

The time I spend cleaning the MPs is negligible because I keep a spare. Just pull off the dirty one, chuck it in a bucket of citric acid for 24 hours. Pull it out and rinse. Repeat.

In addition, some of those are going on 7 years old now and never missed a beat.

Can't argue with Tunze quality, but the profile and having wires in the tank turn me off. But that's just me.

OP
OP
FishyDP

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have been using 2x ow-40s and my gyre (it's a cp150 not 120 as mentioned above) for a couple weeks now. So far this seems to be working well, getting flow in most areas. I have the gyre set at about 80% on constant mode and the ow-40s on random. All mounted on over flow end pushing water across the tank.

Even if I wanted I could not get the mps, not enough room to mount them unless I put them on opposite side of overflow, which I am not crazy about aesthetically. The tunze look nice as well. I know once my pumps get a little clogged I will likely be lacking flow a bit. I like Scott b's idea of just having a spare or two laying around to switch out when needed.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back