Flow questions for my IM 30L build

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of setting up a new Nuvo 30L as a softie/LPS tank. I'll be running the stock 538gph return pump at about 75% with a pair of RFGs. I have most of my other hardware figured out, but I'm hung-up on my powerhead(s). The tank is long and narrow and, while I know I will need randomized flow in the tank, I don't want to turn it into a "wind tunnel" for the flow. Since I'll be softies and LPS, I don't want to blast the hell out of everything.

Now... I already have BOTH a Nero 5 and a Nero 3. I originally bought the 3 for this tank, and I acquired the 5 as part of a package deal for some other things I needed.

I got the Nero 3 for this tank because I thought that using one app for lights and powerhead would be sweet. But, the more I look into it, the more I wonder if the 3 is going to be too much for my tank. The Nero 3 is 2000gph max, but I'm more worried about how LOW I can adjust it. I'm wondering if running two even smaller powerheads (Aqamai KPs?) on opposite ends of the tank would be better, giving me the same total gph, but doing it in a gentler fashion.

Am I overthinking it? Will the Nero 3 be fine? Should I sell the 5 and get another 3 for the opposite end, or would that be overkill?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No replies over 2 weeks. Have you made decisions yet?

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Late to this-I'm running 2 Nero 3's on my 30L. And I have LPS & softies-working well for me.
IMG_6075.jpg

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! How do you have them scheduled?
On random low variance-12am to 8:30 am 20%, 8:30 am to 9pm 45%. I have the one closer to the torches that runs along the back a bit lower. So far so good. I had an IceCap 1K, t worked fine-just a much cleaner look with the Neros.

Aclman88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Nero 5 that I got with a 20h as part of a pa large but I feel like even on it’s lowest setting it pummels lol my coral. Do you think the Nero 3 is good for a 20 high tank?

Sarlindescent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30l frag tank with 2 jebao slw20. On the lowest setting, it's fine for softies and lps. I run them between 75-100% for sticks and its very high flow. I need to place lps behind a barrier to keep their flesh attached.

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put a Nero 3 on my 30L. 20-80% seems mounted mid height seems to enough flow. Towards 80 it starts to move a bit of sand. From what I have seen in my tank I would think the 5 would be overkill.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back