Flow questions on 120g

aceuass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Newbie here, I know the search bar is a very powerful tool but I just dont know what to ask, or what I am supposed to be looking for in the answers
I just upgraded from a Biocube 32 to an SCA 120, I have decided on the triton method, and as this system requires 10x water return I am going with a return pump to meet that, so I am also thinking about other forms or flow in the tank like powerheads, so the question is knowing that I am returning water to the tank at 10x how much more flow will I need, is something like a MP40 overkill, I have a Jabao CP90 that I bought but never used for the bio-cube, or maybe 2 smaller powerheads at either end,
I am going with a variety reef tank, I have some small SPS, LPS and various small Zoa rock gardens, also started a small rock formation with Gorgonians, with the bigger tank I am looking to space everything out, there is a couple of Clowns, Caribbean Blue Tang, Bi-Color Blennie, will add a few more fish later, any help would much appreciated, thanks

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rule of thumb is 20-40 x tank volume flow per hour. If the SCA is a 120 gallon tank I would expect 2 or more MP 40s in the display tank.

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Newbie here, I know the search bar is a very powerful tool but I just dont know what to ask, or what I am supposed to be looking for in the answers
I just upgraded from a Biocube 32 to an SCA 120, I have decided on the triton method, and as this system requires 10x water return I am going with a return pump to meet that, so I am also thinking about other forms or flow in the tank like powerheads, so the question is knowing that I am returning water to the tank at 10x how much more flow will I need, is something like a MP40 overkill, I have a Jabao CP90 that I bought but never used for the bio-cube, or maybe 2 smaller powerheads at either end,
I am going with a variety reef tank, I have some small SPS, LPS and various small Zoa rock gardens, also started a small rock formation with Gorgonians, with the bigger tank I am looking to space everything out, there is a couple of Clowns, Caribbean Blue Tang, Bi-Color Blennie, will add a few more fish later, any help would much appreciated, thanks
Not sure how the MP40 functions but I’m sure you can control flow rates which will help. Fish- lower flow, corals-higher flow

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Deep Blue 120 and run 2 MP40s and they provide plenty of flow. I run both (the majority of the time) in Reef Crest mode at just shy of 80%

OP
OP
A

aceuass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick replies, I was obviously leaning towards the MP40, good to know that I will be better off with 2 (my wallet would like to disagree)

OP
OP
A

aceuass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Deep Blue 120 and run 2 MP40s and they provide plenty of flow. I run both (the majority of the time) in Reef Crest mode at just shy of 80%
Are you running on opposite ends

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back