Flow - Some ideas please?

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

This is my very young 4x2x2 (roughly 130gallons). I'm running 2x Tunze 6105s using the wide flow housing. At the moment I run the Tunze's in one direction for 15 minutes with 3 second 30%-100% pulses. Generally the water hits the far wall, travels downwards, then the comes back the other way along the bottom half of the tank. I don't run both powerheads simultaneously.

I have a couple of issues with how it is set up and was hoping for some opinions on getting my flow right.
flow 1.jpg

Just general issues: I can get plenty of turbulent, strong flow across the top left hand shelf in both directions. I am a bit concerned though that everything else (the right hand rockwork in general and the lower left hand shelf) only get secondary flow. I can get a lot more when I run the alternate pump at minimum while the other is pulsing on full but that causes a huge sandstorm and only seems to cause turbulence in the centre of the tank. As it stands though, I am getting visible flow, polyps are moving and I can visually see particles either moving turbulently across the top of the tank and in a laminar way across the bottom, just not sure it is enough.

Is the flow from 2 x 6105s going to realistically give me enough flow for an SPS dominant tank as it grows out? Should I consider removing the sand bed and or buying more pumps?

Another specific concern I have is that the left tip of the left shelf is right in front of the powerhead. I have a small millepora frag surviving there buy I am concerned that anything else might get stripped. What are your experiences with direct, close range flow (say 15-20cm?)

Sorry for all the questions. Feel free to make any comments on the set up.

adtravels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Take out the sand (IMO)
2. Re position the pumps lower. this should be enough flow for now (the difficulties arise with your LPS).
3. Add pumps as your corals grow (gyre, tunze or vortech type). in my rapidly growing 36x24x24 90 gallon tank I now have 4 MP40w QD. See below, this would not work if I had sand

20181115_132952.jpg

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard call . Personally I like flow where it blows the sand around ,then work backward till it feels good for you Ya don't want smaller fish tumbling across the tank !

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 107 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back