Flow, tell me how..

Mykesocalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looking to get some of your thoughts for flow in my frag/growout tank. Bare bottom. Tank is 60"x30"x12" I have 2-250 gyres and 2-230 gyres with controllers. If this was your tank how would you set them up? Thanks in advance.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looking to get some of your thoughts for flow in my frag/growout tank. Bare bottom. Tank is 60"x30"x12" I have 2-250 gyres and 2-230 gyres with controllers. If this was your tank how would you set them up? Thanks in advance.

What kind of corals are you planning to grow out? That would determine how i would set them up.

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS dominant. There will be some lps and zoas as well.

I would have one set up under the racks blowing across, the other 2 up top on each end of tank and do a alternating turbulence. I'm sure there are a few other ways one could set it up.

OP
OP
Mykesocalreef

Mykesocalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of right now I have the 2-250s opposite running the 60" length, about 6-8" up. Currently on antisync in constant mode @20% with 10 sec spacing between the two.
2-230s on the back wall of tank facing to the front running same program but @50%.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just run one... forward and backward. Keeping detritus suspended is mostly a fantasy. If you can get it in just a few spots, then that is awesome. Detritus that has been around for a few hours is mostly benign anyway, so there is no huge hurry to get it out, but it does need to come out when you can get to it.

I had a 60x24x10 frag tank and I just ran a single 250 in it and I did not even have it up all the way.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant imagine you would need all of those.. I guess if you have super fruit stand mega rock work.

anyways, 230 on the back and front in a circle, 250 mounted up high and slamming in to each other.

take advantage of the programming!! mine run 8 different cycles throughout the day. I called one cycle "dude, what the heck" all heads full power for 3 minutes.

OP
OP
Mykesocalreef

Mykesocalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant imagine you would need all of those.. I guess if you have super fruit stand mega rock work.

anyways, 230 on the back and front in a circle, 250 mounted up high and slamming in to each other.

take advantage of the programming!! mine run 8 different cycles throughout the day. I called one cycle "dude, what the heck" all heads full power for 3 minutes.
I wanted to make sure I had enough flow lol The programming is so frustrating. I had to watch the video in order to do it. Im trying to get an idea on percentages to run as well.

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your thought behind under the racks?
To keep detritus flowing. But if you are currently only collecting it in two spots then it's not necessary.

However me being me would probably still do it [emoji23].

I ditched the stock controllers and use my Apex to control my gyres.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why on earth would you program them with your apex??

the new controller does every possible combination. it is very consuming at first but it makes sense once you start to do it.

anyways, I missed that it was a frag tank, I think one would do it. or one below and one above.

OP
OP
Mykesocalreef

Mykesocalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

the new controller does every possible combination. it is very consuming at first but it makes sense once you start to do it.

anyways, I missed that it was a frag tank, I think one would do it. or one below and one above.
What does your standard program entail?

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have more control over the programming than the stock controllers are capable of, reduce controllers on equipment panel, control at anytime with my apex, and a battery backup is also integrated into the mix for them.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 63 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 51 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 39 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back