ajtomase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I've setup my new tank with CaribSea Special Grade sand (not a fine substrate). I have 2 Ecotech mp60s on either side of the tank, and 2 Ecotech mp40s on the back of either side of the tank. Is Reef Crest mode too harsh for those types of corals? Would Lagoon or Tidal Swell Mode be a better option, and if so which one would you choose?

Attached are some pictures I have of my new thank that is currently on Reef Crest mode at 50% and it created these valley/bare spots. Should I move the powerheads (if that, move the MP40 on the back, or the MP60 on the side), or should i adjust the flow (not sure if Reef Crest was too crazy, or if I just need to turn down the intensity, what about Tidal Swell or Lagoon Mode) or both? This is only happening on the right side of my tank where there’s a bit heavier rock structure.

My goal is to have an LPS/Rock Flower tank if that helps with what needs to happen.

Left side of tank isn't creating the same issues
IMG_8137.jpeg

Bare spots and valleys created while on Reef Crest at 50%
IMG_8138.jpeg

IMG_8139.jpeg

Maybe this one created by the MP40 on the back of the tank? Not sure how to get flow behind this large structure without causing that bare spot in the corner...
IMG_8140.jpeg

These arches are in front of the MP40 on the back wall. There's a bare spot just under the small arch, but large valley of sand after it. Should I move this powerhead or adjust the intensity? Want to make sure it catches all detritus...
IMG_8141.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would tend to keep your pumps the way you have them. Perhaps in alternating mode (I'm assuming thats what you're doing). I believe the tidal swell works well. I personally think the 'valleys' and slight 'bare spots' - make the tank look more natural as compared to a problem. I like your Aquascape - good luck with your tank!!!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back