Flower anemone

Funwithreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a really nice flower anemone that decided to go in the back of the tank and hiding under some rock. Can’t even see it. Should I be concerned or just let him be? No way for me to pull out rock and find him.

BCFE634A-B268-46C0-8B6C-91E025630BB0.jpeg

Brandon103095

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had one disappear similar to that situation, showed back up 2 weeks later and looked great. if he didnt look sick or in a bad state then IME id just let him be. but obviously take that with a grain of salt, everyones experiences differ!

OP
OP
Funwithreefer

Funwithreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had one disappear similar to that situation, showed back up 2 weeks later and looked great. if he didnt look sick or in a bad state then IME id just let him be. but obviously take that with a grain of salt, everyones experiences differ!

He looked great. Was open every day. Then my peppermint shrimp decided to go to town on him and he said F this and moved. I’ll wait and see if he comes back out.

Brandon103095

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looked great. Was open every day. Then my peppermint shrimp decided to go to town on him and he said F this and moved. I’ll wait and see if he comes back out.
keep an eye on that shrimp! lol. if he went to town on him, you might be able to watch where he goes, if he goes back to the anenome you might be able to find it. and then find the shrimp a new home lol

OP
OP
Funwithreefer

Funwithreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
keep an eye on that shrimp! lol. if he went to town on him, you might be able to watch where he goes, if he goes back to the anenome you might be able to find it. and then find the shrimp a new home lol

Good idea. I got him because I had a couple of Aiptasia blooms but he isn’t going after them. Instead he’s a little bully. I have a fire shrimp too and they don’t bother each other but if they get close to each other the fire shrimp goes after him. Just hope my $60 nem comes back out of hiding

Hollyaxt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recommend pulling the peppermint shrimp. I am in the painful process of trying to capture my two. Two weeks ago I purchased 6 RFA, the peppermint shrimp ate one immediately. The RFA was probably the size of a quarter, but the most expensive b/c it was an ultra. I thought "okay maybe the RFA was injured or I placed it in the shrimp's territory". Wrong, it is now terrorizing a much much larger RFA which seems to be a perpetual defensive state Lots of threads on peppermint shrimp going rogue. Good luck...but my devil shrimp must go. Set up a new trap tonight, hopefully it works

OP
OP
Funwithreefer

Funwithreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recommend pulling the peppermint shrimp. I am in the painful process of trying to capture my two. Two weeks ago I purchased 6 RFA, the peppermint shrimp ate one immediately. The RFA was probably the size of a quarter, but the most expensive b/c it was an ultra. I thought "okay maybe the RFA was injured or I placed it in the shrimp's territory". Wrong, it is now terrorizing a much much larger RFA which seems to be a perpetual defensive state Lots of threads on peppermint shrimp going rogue. Good luck...but my devil shrimp must go. Set up a new trap tonight, hopefully it works

I may have to do the same. He hasn’t bothered the two other bigger ones on the sandbed too bad. I was kinda hoping the bigger one would have ate the $4 shrimp. But if he doesn’t chillax I’ll be feeding him to the cat!

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely watch the shrimp, if they eat Aiptasia they can chow down on a rock nem. I once lost 4 rock nems to a molly Miller blenny (they can also eat Aiptasia) it was awful /: in most cases nems can hide and emerge later, but if something is picking at it I'd be more careful. If you can get it out in the open and give it a shell or something to foot down into then place the shell it should stay put.

Hollyaxt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Got the nasty shrimp that I think was the one attacking my RFA (he/she is in the QT). Will watch #2 shrimp, but any nibbling and goes in with its friend.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back