Flower Anemone

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw some large ones in a display tank, in a LFS, but they only had small examples to buy (about an inch across - not cheap either). I’ve had it about a month and this is the first time it’s seen fit to show itself in the open - previously it took refuge by some mushrooms, then my Xenia and was even seen near the top overflow.

How long do they take to grow out of interest?

I know the nature of the anemone is to go where they please but ‘he’ has stayed put for a few days now so hopefully he will remain in the eye as I do really like it. Any other tips on keeping it would be gratefully received - love to see photos of yours too.
7C8D19AD-1BE0-463B-8689-25273789B72F.jpeg

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They take maybe a year to get full grown. They’re easy to care for and should stay put if they’re in a spot they like. They don’t really move unless they have to. I feed mine once or twice a week with mysis or similar or just plain fish food.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They typically take a year or more to get to adult size(4" across), are very easy to care for, and prefer to be in your sandbed, or right where the rock meets the sand. In nature they are found this way as when threatened they shrink up into the sand where they cannot be found. Once happy, never move unline a BTA which roams constantly.

While I never feed mine, they do get food from catching floating particles from frozen when I feed that once a day. I found they do not need to be spot fed, but do enjoy meaty foods once in a while. I have 5 full size adults currently who spawn frequently, but with the flow and fish in my tank, I have only seen one offspring.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty. Mine are all around one rock. I moved them recently, so they are not pleased yet, but soon. I think I have a couple shots of mine. Thanks for sharing. You can see the main rock with many of them in the tang pic. There are a few more. Not great with camera yet, but working on it.

red rock nem.jpg rock nem.jpg tang 3in 2.jpg

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank rock may look new, do not let that fool you. Most of it has been going for over 13 years. I just scrubbed the current stuff due to hair algae and placed in some from my sump. Hence the mad at me for moving them. :)

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is 3 of mine this morning. Out of 15, only 2 are in the sand (orange one bottom right) the rest like being on the rocks. I have 3 facing front of the tank and the rest face upwards toward the light.

nems.jpg

OP
OP
Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are all stunning - it’s a shame but I’ve only seen this one for sale at the 4 LFS’s near me. When we are not on lock down I’ll have to look further afield as I’m really attracted to them.

I like anything that looks really ‘alien’ with the tentacles (very interesting to watch imo) - these certainly fit the bill as does my elegance coral and to a lesser extent my Duncan’s.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back