Flowerpot coral!

IBMGeek

I Brake for Zoos!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got one today, still hasnt fully extended its polyps but thought i share with you guys/gals.

269424380.jpg

OP
OP
IBMGeek

IBMGeek

I Brake for Zoos!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I did some research on it already so ill try and do what ive read. But most dont last more than a year so im screwed.

salt newbie01

CRC Flunky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice pick up! You can keep them alive it just takes a lot of attention. John Kelly over on RC has had a lot of luck with them - he has put out a lot of info regaurding their care. I think spot feeding is one of the main things that help them. But the food has to be very small - like spot feeding cyclopeeze. You can actually see the food moving down the stalk it's pretty cool. And flow needs moderate flow - enough to let the polyps sway and to keep food or detritus settling on the skeleton. I had one that I tried very hard to keep but it didn't make it. Very pretty coral - just stinks they are so hard to keep. Good luck to you.

Patrick

Smarsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched a talk by Justin Credabel on Goniopora. He said the most important thing is to find out where it was collected from.

You could always try emailing him and see if he can give you any tips. He is studying the Goniopora. I think I remember him saying that Cyclopeeze was too big for Goni's.

Sandy

salt newbie01

CRC Flunky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take a frozen mysis cube and shave it with a sharp knife or razor, then add vita-chem and some cyclopeeze. I would use a plastic syrendge and lightly squirt it all over the heads - Mine seemed to eat this mix pretty well. I would agree a lot depends on where they ere collected. some of the lighter colors are harder to keep from what I have read.

Smarsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he said some of them were actually collected from the mouths of rivers where the river meets the ocean so they are more brackish than saltwater. It was a while ago so I am not sure if I remember it correctly.

Sandy

OP
OP
IBMGeek

IBMGeek

I Brake for Zoos!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i read they are collected from places like lagoons. They like murky water full of nutrients,thats why suposedly they dont do well in our tanks since the water is so clean.

THE BEAUT

Luv Golf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are right, the same with elegance corals. Unfortunately success rates are not good. I have had a pink one now for over 2 years. i dont do anything special for it, except that it loves good flow. If it gets food, its left overs floating around in the water after general feeding. I wish i could give you specifics on what i do, but like i said, nothing special.

OP
OP
IBMGeek

IBMGeek

I Brake for Zoos!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess youre one of the lucky ones that the goniopora last more than a year. I read an article that some people have had them for 9 years. It says they do better in tanks with light protein skimming/refugiums.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually you know what I would try to do once twice a week is stir up the bottom gravel or sand around it, but make sure none of it settles on it. This will put detritus into the water along with bacteria and minute micro-fauna. I noticed that times when I would do that my Pagoda cup coral would seem to eat or to say the polyps seems to close up as though they had grabbed stuff from the water........Just an idea, I might also try using rotifers if possible I'm sure those are small enough and the rest of the filter feeders would use it as well. I know you can get frozen rotifers from Omega One....

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mysis is way too large for them--so is Cyclopeeze. Check out the micron sized food it eats. I'd make the slurry John Kelly recommends in that site I linked you to. I make up my own & spot feed w/the filters/pumps off for an hour.

Mel077reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually you know what I would try to do once twice a week is stir up the bottom gravel or sand around it, but make sure none of it settles on it. This will put detritus into the water along with bacteria and minute micro-fauna. I noticed that times when I would do that my Pagoda cup coral would seem to eat or to say the polyps seems to close up as though they had grabbed stuff from the water........Just an idea, I might also try using rotifers if possible I'm sure those are small enough and the rest of the filter feeders would use it as well. I know you can get frozen rotifers from Omega One....

Hi James
Sorry to disturb this topic but everytime I see your avatar Ive always wanted to ask what is the name of that Paly??? Thanks. in advance

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That link is a good read.......Keep us informed on how it is doing for you.

Mel
the avatar is a picture of my Happy Samhains, they are not a paly but a micro zoanthid. THe polyps are very very small.

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also don't understand why gonis are so hard to keep. I never used to buy them because of their reputation, but I started trying some out a few years ago and have had nothing but success.

I have a red w/ green center stutchburyi (2 yrs), neon green one (1 yr), red w/ purple center one(5 mo), teal w/ pink center(8 mo).

I don't feed them other than what they get from my fish feeding, I have them under high light, good flow, and fairly heavy skimming. ???

I'll try to post some pics later.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 61 43.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.5%
Back