fluconazole x bryopsis

thatbamaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at about 48 hrs since I treated with fish flucon. I added 2800mg to a 110 reef with sump. I'm seeing positive signs, for sure. The next morning there were bubbles all over the rocks at the base of algal growths and much if it is faded and almost white. Did you guys do any manual removal during treatment our just wait until it was all gone? How kind did you wait to do a water change?

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at about 48 hrs since I treated with fish flucon. I added 2800mg to a 110 reef with sump. I'm seeing positive signs, for sure. The next morning there were bubbles all over the rocks at the base of algal growths and much if it is faded and almost white. Did you guys do any manual removal during treatment our just wait until it was all gone? How kind did you wait to do a water change?

Just wait until it's all gone. Change your water after 14 days.

Ocean Lotion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my experience. I was trating gha. Was! It is now officially gone from my tank. Feb 2nd I treated the tank after having been dosing Vibrant with no effect on my gha, but the tank responded well to the Vibrant. After 3 weeks there was about a 60% kill off of the gha. I then did a large h2o chng, ran carbon and gfo for a day and added extra lighting on both ends of the tank to assist in the destruction of the gha. Today, about 9 weeks after the first dose, I can say the gha is dead!!!! I can not overstate how extatic I am to have my tank back. Over 4 years of fighting this devil spawn left me frustrated with my tank. I enjoy looking at my tank again and no longer just consider it a battle to continue. Thank you so much for bringing this treatment to light, no pun intended.

20170326_154603.jpg

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a daily dose, it's just a one time deal? Why are people removing skimmer cups?

Just a single dose. Fluconazole is pretty insoluable, so people are removing their skimmer cups the first few days to help prevent prematurely removing any of the meds that may not be full dissolved.

Lazys Coral House

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on day 5 and algae is about 75% gone. I had this algae for a coiple years now. It comes and goes with nutrients. It isnt bryopsis or traditional hair algae either. Clean up crew and tangs dont like it but they do pick at it if there is nothing else to eat.

I have a retail business with 3 raceway style tanks all connected together. About a 1,000 corals sps, lps and softies. No negative results. Thank you for sharing this product. Not to often we get solutions to problembs that work this fast and not have any negative issues. Big leap forward in this hobby! I am sure it will save 100's if not 1,000's of people from getting out.

joshua_samek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry if someone already asked this but I have some 200mg tablets instead of capsules. Does anyone know if the binders in the tablets will cause an issue?

Rob Lion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's now over 2 months since i rid my tank of bryopsis using fluconazole..... still no sign of it returning :)

I'm still doing my happy dance too :D

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no! Try not to yet unless you dont really have a choice(or if you think it outways the benefit). Ive talked to a few people that are about to try it, hopefully i can see for myself, then i can be confident enuff to tlk about treatments. Im chicken when it comes to additives. Anyway, i tryed my best to research what goes on, and from what ive seen, only a few people have tryed it. I hope it turns out to be a golden ticket really, going to take a whole lot of trial and error.
I've now run fluconazole on two full reef sps dominated tanks and it works! I maintain aquariums and spent over a year fighting bryopsis and and quite a bit of hair algae to no avail. I added fluconazole at the rate of 20mg per gallon and only added it once on day one of the treatment. I removed the skimmer cup but kept the skimmer running. I removed carbon, chemipure etc. I didn't do any water changes for 14 days. My nutrient levels remained at their normal levels. The bryopsis starts dying a few days into the treatment. Those of you that have battled this plague know scavenging creatures seem to want nothing to do with bryopsis. That all changes during the fluconazole treatment. I began watching urchins, snails and crabs become hugely helpful, where once they simply were of no help. Urchins seemed particularly helpful. In my experience the bryopsis and hair algae died more rapidly in the highly lit areas of the tank first and then the shadowed areas. I've seen no impact on my corals or fish. I feed the tanks twice a day. I've never been a believer in a miracle cure. Prevention is the key! Bryopsis and hair algae began for me when I started using No3PO4X. I'm not saying they caused the outbreak as the timing may have been coincidental. I am saying in my case fluconazole definitely has worked. Up your cleanup crew, especially urchins. Stay the course for 14 days and then do your best to keep nutrients at appropriate levels. I bought the fluconazole at www.payless-petproducts.com. Lastly, as you probably know fluconazole is the generic for the brand named drug diflucan. Generic meds can be plus or minus 10% of the active ingredient of the drug and the inactive ingredients can be totally different. That said, I've had success with the for mentioned fluconazole provider. To me it begs the question if others unsuccessful attempts with the drug have been because of the variance within the generic drugs themselves.

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've now run fluconazole on two full reef sps dominated tanks and it works! I maintain aquariums and spent over a year fighting bryopsis and and quite a bit of hair algae to no avail. I added fluconazole at the rate of 20mg per gallon and only added it once on day one of the treatment. I removed the skimmer cup but kept the skimmer running. I removed carbon, chemipure etc. I didn't do any water changes for 14 days. My nutrient levels remained at their normal levels. The bryopsis starts dying a few days into the treatment. Those of you that have battled this plague know scavenging creatures seem to want nothing to do with bryopsis. That all changes during the fluconazole treatment. I began watching urchins, snails and crabs become hugely helpful, where once they simply were of no help. Urchins seemed particularly helpful. In my experience the bryopsis and hair algae died more rapidly in the highly lit areas of the tank first and then the shadowed areas. I've seen no impact on my corals or fish. I feed the tanks twice a day. I've never been a believer in a miracle cure. Prevention is the key! Bryopsis and hair algae began for me when I started using No3PO4X. I'm not saying they caused the outbreak as the timing may have been coincidental. I am saying in my case fluconazole definitely has worked. Up your cleanup crew, especially urchins. Stay the course for 14 days and then do your best to keep nutrients at appropriate levels. I bought the fluconazole at www.payless-petproducts.com. Lastly, as you probably know fluconazole is the generic for the brand named drug diflucan. Generic meds can be plus or minus 10% of the active ingredient of the drug and the inactive ingredients can be totally different. That said, I've had success with the for mentioned fluconazole provider. To me it begs the question if others unsuccessful attempts with the drug have been because of the variance within the generic drugs themselves.
So happy it worked out for you! From what ive seen with the small handfull of members that were unsuccessful, have to properly ID the bryopsis before treatment.

Im real happy it worked, there was a couple fluconazole brands people used successful. But who knows, going to take alot of trial and error to get this treatment protocol over with already.

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Also payless pet products is issuing a card to treat 5 days of medication for bryopsis. PLEASE EVERYONE ABSOLUTELY DO NOT TRY THAT. Wether its them trying to sell their product or not, im sure 5 treatments can do damage.

It only takes one for success

ksanfranfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also payless pet products is issuing a card to treat 5 days of medication for bryopsis. PLEASE EVERYONE ABSOLUTELY DO NOT TRY THAT. Wether its them trying to sell their product or not, im sure 5 treatments can do damage.

It only takes one for success
I got that card with this last order that I placed for the retreating one of my tanks. Didn't get that card back in February. I read it and tossed it. I don't remember what the dosage was for the 5 day treatment that they suggested. I thought it was pertaining to fish.

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I got that card with this last order that I placed for the retreating one of my tanks. Didn't get that card back in February. I read it and tossed it. I don't remember what the dosage was for the 5 day treatment that they suggested. I thought it was pertaining to fish.
Ohh, i had a few people explain to me the card might of related to bryopsis treatment. A few actually followed the card instructions for treatment toward bryopsis. Maybe because they assumed it was for bryopsis - But i doubt it, now that i thought about it, the card is most likely the protocol for fish.

ksanfranfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'm not sure if they are aware of why they are getting an increase in business for fluconazole. Obviously with the price increase that happened shortly after they know that it's aquarium related.

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yeah, I'm not sure if they are aware of why they are getting an increase in business for fluconazole. Obviously with the price increase that happened shortly after they know that it's aquarium related.
First couple months they most likely werent. Now Their well aware, theyve been sponsoring people with youtube channels for it lol

Ocean Lotion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here is an update. It took 9 weeks and 2 doses to kill off my gha to the point that I declared my tank gha free. It it 1 month later and I can find some strands of gha returning. I am going to hit it with another dose soon to keep it in check.

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Well here is an update. It took 9 weeks and 2 doses to kill off my gha to the point that I declared my tank gha free. It it 1 month later and I can find some strands of gha returning. I am going to hit it with another dose soon to keep it in check.
Well this treatment is anti fungal, not sure why people are using it for gha(and report success). 9 weeks with or without medicine is enuff time for gha to go away lol! Save your money bud, sure your tank will equal out perfectly =)

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 139 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 112 34.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back