FLUKES Need help!

BRS

Gold3nboi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
So after 4 years of reefing I have finally got flukes in my system due to a new fish that I treated showed no signs and still boom flukes. Any ways now my Achilles has about 2 flukes on him and also my Dussumari tang has one. Now some days the visible ones will be attached and other days they are not. I only have a 20 gallon qt tank but my tangs are way too big to fit in that tiny box. I have no other option but to treat it in my main tank. I have a sps and zoas in my tank. I have heard about prazipro being okay. Has anyone had success with defeating flukes in their main tank. Any advise that can help me with my intake treatment will be much appreciated thank you. Almost forgot my specs is a 400 gallon system.

Tommy's Phyto

Jay Hemdal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Prazipro is mostly reef safe, but it does add nutrients, and as bacteria decomposes that, oxygen is taken out of the water so you need to boost aeration (not just circulation) during treatment. A good skimmer helps with that, but you should also add an air stone.

Flukes are typically not visible on fish as individual spots. Even Neobenedenia, the largest species is identified more by its symptoms; frayed fins, cloudy skin and cloudy eyes. Can you get a picture perhaps?

Jay

OP
G

Gold3nboi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Prazipro is mostly reef safe, but it does add nutrients, and as bacteria decomposes that, oxygen is taken out of the water so you need to boost aeration (not just circulation) during treatment. A good skimmer helps with that, but you should also add an air stone.

Flukes are typically not visible on fish as individual spots. Even Neobenedenia, the largest species is identified more by its symptoms; frayed fins, cloudy skin and cloudy eyes. Can you get a picture perhaps?

Jay
This is the best pic I can get of him he's so fast

Attachments

• 20210122_090511.jpg
    20210122_090511.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 20210122_090747.jpg
    20210122_090747.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 26

Jay Hemdal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Yeah, getting good pics is tough. Does the fish have cloudy eyes like it appears?

Jay

OP
G

Gold3nboi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Oh yes I forgot to mention that, yes he's had it ever since he's gotten a see through dots on his skin

Corals.com

Jay Hemdal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Oh yes I forgot to mention that, yes he's had it ever since he's gotten a see through dots on his skin

Well, trying Prazipro 2x a week apart might be a way to go.

Jay

OP
G

Gold3nboi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Also Idk if this means anything but yesterday the white dot on my Achilles during the day it looked like it was half way peeling off looked like a badaid coming off. And will prazi be okay with my sps.

Jay Hemdal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Dosed carefully, and adding good aeration, most corals handle praziquantel treatments ok. It will kill feather dusters and some people cite having issues with clams.
Jay

BRS

What do you look for when making sure your skimmer is working correctly?

• Amount of skimmate

Votes: 162 46.7%
  • Dark Skimmate

Votes: 217 62.5%
  • Light Skimmate

Votes: 14 4.0%
  • Dry Skimmate

Votes: 42 12.1%
  • Wet Skimmate

Votes: 37 10.7%
  • Low Nutrient Levels

Votes: 44 12.7%