FLUKES Need help!

Gold3nboi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after 4 years of reefing I have finally got flukes in my system due to a new fish that I treated showed no signs and still boom flukes. Any ways now my Achilles has about 2 flukes on him and also my Dussumari tang has one. Now some days the visible ones will be attached and other days they are not. I only have a 20 gallon qt tank but my tangs are way too big to fit in that tiny box. I have no other option but to treat it in my main tank. I have a sps and zoas in my tank. I have heard about prazipro being okay. Has anyone had success with defeating flukes in their main tank. Any advise that can help me with my intake treatment will be much appreciated thank you. Almost forgot my specs is a 400 gallon system.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro is mostly reef safe, but it does add nutrients, and as bacteria decomposes that, oxygen is taken out of the water so you need to boost aeration (not just circulation) during treatment. A good skimmer helps with that, but you should also add an air stone.

Flukes are typically not visible on fish as individual spots. Even Neobenedenia, the largest species is identified more by its symptoms; frayed fins, cloudy skin and cloudy eyes. Can you get a picture perhaps?

Jay

OP
OP
G

Gold3nboi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro is mostly reef safe, but it does add nutrients, and as bacteria decomposes that, oxygen is taken out of the water so you need to boost aeration (not just circulation) during treatment. A good skimmer helps with that, but you should also add an air stone.

Flukes are typically not visible on fish as individual spots. Even Neobenedenia, the largest species is identified more by its symptoms; frayed fins, cloudy skin and cloudy eyes. Can you get a picture perhaps?

Jay
This is the best pic I can get of him he's so fast

Attachments

• 20210122_090511.jpg
    20210122_090511.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 20210122_090747.jpg
    20210122_090747.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 82

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, getting good pics is tough. Does the fish have cloudy eyes like it appears?

Jay

OP
OP
G

Gold3nboi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes I forgot to mention that, yes he's had it ever since he's gotten a see through dots on his skin

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes I forgot to mention that, yes he's had it ever since he's gotten a see through dots on his skin

Well, trying Prazipro 2x a week apart might be a way to go.

Jay

OP
OP
G

Gold3nboi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also Idk if this means anything but yesterday the white dot on my Achilles during the day it looked like it was half way peeling off looked like a badaid coming off. And will prazi be okay with my sps.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosed carefully, and adding good aeration, most corals handle praziquantel treatments ok. It will kill feather dusters and some people cite having issues with clams.
Jay

Reef GE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to give it a try will see how it turns out. Thank you
Could you update us how your treatment of Prazi-Pro in the main tank worked out? I have a similar problem and am interested to hear how it all worked out for your tank.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if I have a wrasse in my DT, is it safe to use Prazi-Pro?
As long as you aerate the water well, wrasse are fine with Prazipro.

Jay

OP
OP
G

Gold3nboi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: not to discourage but I never went through the prazi treatment bc I was going through a nutrient dificincy. I didn't want to add so much change to my tank. But what I did introduce to my tank was bubble scrubbing during the night and also a cleaner goby. During the night I noticed some microbubbles brushing against my Achilles body not sure if that could of irritated the fluke off. But what I can be sure about is that my cleaner goby went to town on the flukes, I saw with my own eyes my cleaner goby yank a big one off my tang. Anyways my Achilles cleared up with in 2 weeks of this. Hope this could be of some help.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have flukes Prazi pro is the way to go. I have used it many times with no issues with a mixed reef and never loss anything. Be sure to follow the directions and do full 2 treatments to eradicate them.

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: not to discourage but I never went through the prazi treatment bc I was going through a nutrient dificincy. I didn't want to add so much change to my tank. But what I did introduce to my tank was bubble scrubbing during the night and also a cleaner goby. During the night I noticed some microbubbles brushing against my Achilles body not sure if that could of irritated the fluke off. But what I can be sure about is that my cleaner goby went to town on the flukes, I saw with my own eyes my cleaner goby yank a big one off my tang. Anyways my Achilles cleared up with in 2 weeks of this. Hope this could be of some help.
Cleaner goby? Never heard of that before

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaner gobies are like neon gobies and shark nose gobies. They themselves can be infected with flukes though.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaner gobies are like neon gobies and shark nose gobies. They themselves can be infected with flukes though.
They also cannot handle gill flukes or smaller Gyrodactylus.

Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 103 86.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back