Flukes on pyramid butterfly

Tarun21tp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these flukes on the sides of my pyramid butterfly fish? It’s a newly setup tank and she is the first fish in there. Video is attached.
Thanks
Tarun from India.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these flukes on the sides of my pyramid butterfly fish? It’s a newly setup tank and she is the first fish in there. Video is attached.
Thanks
Tarun from India.

Sorry no video attached. Sometimes, linking to a Youtube video works.

Pyramid butterfly fish are prone to Neobendenia flukes though.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I see what looks like mucus cones on its skin and can be associated with skin irritation or ich. Fish is sure active making it hard to pinpoint the dots.

OP
OP
T

Tarun21tp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what looks like mucus cones on its skin and can be associated with skin irritation or ich. Fish is sure active making it hard to pinpoint the dots.
He has been healthy and eating for almost a month now. Had done qt with coppersafe and a freshwater dip before putting him in DT. He eats like a pig and is breathing normally.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
He has been healthy and eating for almost a month now. Had done qt with coppersafe and a freshwater dip before putting him in DT. He eats like a pig and is breathing normally.
The spots can be Neobendenia also which are larger and visible. How long was quarantine and at what therapeutic level?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
2.10 ppm for Coppersafe. 21 days followed by a freshwater dip and then transfer to DT.
Typical while you are not far off is 30 days at 2.25-2.5 and a Full 30 days is recommended. If the fish came in with something, 21 days may have not been enough

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is some cloudiness to the fish's right pectoral fin. I can also see some raised spots on its side when it turns just right. It may have Neobenedenia flukes....

FW dips reduce flukes, but do not always cure the fish. Neobenedenia eggs are sticky and are not harmed by FW, so can get carried into the tank on the fish after the dip.

There is a way to confirm if the fish has Neobenedenia - if you can catch it without harming it, give it a 5 minute FW dip in a clean container. After the dip, search the bottom for flukes. These will look like tiny gray ovals, almost like fish scales.

Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back