Fluorescent neon red algae help

jchopkin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys.

I dont mean to keep posting things on here but still very new and learning.

Recently my live rock has started to grow a maroon colour algae on it but when I switch my blues on it turns florescent neon red and glows.

It's not slimy so I don't think it's cyano and it's not hard like coraline, i think it's a turf algae but I can't find anything about it glowing. It's kind of nice to look at under the blues but I'm really nervous ad iv got a really bad outbreak of dinoflagellates which iv been removing daily for ages apparently caused by my nutrients dropping out. Can anyone confirm what it is and if I need to get rid of it before it takes over the tank and how I do if I need to.

Any help is greatly appreciated with any of my issues.

Screenshot_20210812-204612_Gallery.jpg 20210812_202813.jpg Screenshot_20210812-204741_Gallery.jpg 20210812_202847.jpg

OP
OP
J

jchopkin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's super hard to pick off. Just really unsure what it is, I think its red turf algae but I'm not 100% as the ones I found on Google and here don't show it glowing and I'm panicking a bit just in case I need to get rid of it

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's super hard to pick off. Just really unsure what it is, I think its red turf algae but I'm not 100% as the ones I found on Google and here don't show it glowing and I'm panicking a bit just in case I need to get rid of it
better to have algae than dinos, algae is our friend!

OP
OP
J

jchopkin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did some reading, it may be a coralline species.
Do you have a link you can send me please as Iv tried searching soft coraline but couldn't find anything. It's soft to touch and kind of fuzzy which led me to think it was red turf but I can't find anything on it glowing red

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a link you can send me please as Iv tried searching soft coraline but couldn't find anything. It's soft to touch and kind of fuzzy which led me to think it was red turf but I can't find anything on it glowing red
Soft and fuzzy...doesn’t sound like coralline then.

OP
OP
J

jchopkin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soft and fuzzy...doesn’t sound like coralline then.
Fuzzy is probably the wrong word if I'm honest its just soft to touch, just really confused as to what it could be. Do you know of any other algae that glows under blues ?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A red algae with that pigment, phycoerythrin, will fluoresce red/orange under blue lighting - if the cells are damaged - it'll fluoresce even brighter. People have seen this effect after they hit coralline algae with a little vinegar and then had their blues-only on.
That effect could happen with a red turf algae, or cyano, or coralline. Doesn't tell us what it is. It looks like a red turf algae to me. Seems hard to remove.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Oh boy. . . Its that nightmare coraline base with what is known as gelidium often confused with diatomaceous algae. Many species of short creeping red algae exist so the hobby generally lumps all of them under the heading Gelidium, (the genus that is home to many of those species), and the common name Red Turf Algae. Removal is challenging. In some cases a pincushion urchin and emerald crab will help with picking this apart, but it is best to scrub off outside the tank with a stiff or small wire brush.
Do Note that I had some for about 7 months and found it somewhat pretty before I figured, time for it to go.

epicfatigue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this and it is finally dying I feel your pain. It's randomly dying off in bright orange patch's I have battled this for a year.

My snails would eat it but it grows faster then any snail could ever eat it. I found it grew best in high light conditions. Can I ask what light you are using ? I found when I changed from my Chinese black box to my illuminmagic it started to die off. Now I am battling high nitrate and phosphate as it slowly dies but I am seeing an explosion of coraline alage, so take note in the fact when it finally does die you are at the end of the uglies

16833717332732985474371139515647.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back