Fluval 13.5 port hole

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Afternoon. I was curious to who owns the 13.5 fluval reef tank how many covers the port hole for the filtration??? I’m soon going to be redoing the back chambers

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely use the plug to fill the hole. I’m pretty sure that hole is there to prevent pump burnout if someone lets their tank evap below the water intake to chamber #3.
Here is a tip!
If the plug you get with the kit isn’t a very tight fit, it will only be held in by suction and fall out every time you turn off your return pump. Glue that bad boy in the hole!

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely use the plug to fill the hole. I’m pretty sure that hole is there to prevent pump burnout if someone lets their tank evap below the water intake to chamber #3.
Here is a tip!
If the plug you get with the kit isn’t a very tight fit, it will only be held in by suction and fall out every time you turn off your return pump. Glue that bad boy in the hole!
Most definitely gonna glue it. Doing so will it make water flow more efficient through the overflow ?

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most definitely gonna glue it. Doing so will it make water flow more efficient through the overflow ?
Yes! You will get much more efficient filtering with the hole plugged. With that hole being in chamber#2, your return pump is pulling tank water through the hole and less is going through your filter media In chamber #3.

Zotch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the InTank basket in chamber 1 and it came with the little plug for the false wall hole. I used a dab of frag glue to secure it.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah plug the false wall. Literally have no clue why that was included in the design.
Got mine plugged. The design is there for if the water level ever falls below the return the water can still fill the chambers so the pump doesn’t run dry and burn up. Plugged mine up with a piece of foam and waiting for GSP to hurry up n grown over that hole.

mikedgrok

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have an issue with water dripping from the display, into chamber 3, due to some open space between the return nozzle / plug and the opening for the nozzle? Doesn't affect things hugely, but a bit annoying.

Any thought? Should I be sealing it with something?

mikedgrok

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
filled it with silicone
Is either the nozzle or the elbow unit now 'glued' to the wall from the silicone, or can you still freely detatch both sides?

I'm gonna use some silicon in next few days since seems to work for everyone

mikedgrok

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% plug it!
we've been talking about the porthole in chamber 3, where the return hose meets the return flow nozzle in the main tank... have you done anything there?

(i think you are referring to the hole in chamber 2, which everyone plugs :D mostly with the inTank cover for those of us with those trays)

JLavy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we've been talking about the porthole in chamber 3, where the return hose meets the return flow nozzle in the main tank... have you done anything there?

(i think you are referring to the hole in chamber 2, which everyone plugs :D mostly with the inTank cover for those of us with those trays)
You're totally right! I thought you meant the port hole in chamber 2. Carry on hahaa

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back