Fluval Evo 13.5 Stocking

James G abc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I was wondering about stocking my new Fluval Evo, it’s freshly bought and not setup but I like to plan ahead. I was also wondering what coral could grow with the Evo light

Stocking:
1 Royal Gramma
1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
1 Turbo snail
2 Nassarius Snail
1 Hermit or emerald Crab
(Possibly a Tux Urchin)

And possibly another 1 (maybe 2) fish? Like an Azure Damsel or an Orange Stripe Prawn Goby + Pistol shrimp. Thanks!

zdrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've read, Royal Gramma shouldn't be kept in tanks less than about 20 gallons. I would say you shouldn't get a Royal Gramma.

I also don't think you can keep Damselfish in a tank that size either. They're quite aggressive anyway. You would need to go with a damselfish only tank. I believe they need to be kept in small groups.

Goby + pistol shrimp would work.

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t keep a royal gramma in such a small system unless you’re planning to upgrade down the line at some point. They will get very territorial and attack every new addition to the tank until they’re gone.
Consider smaller less territorial fish. The tail spot blenny is a great little guy and will eat algae for you. If you’re looking for an open water swimmer you could get away with a pink streaked wrasse and the OSPrawn goby+pistol shrimp. As mentioned I wouldn’t get a damsel either, those are little devils who will also come after every other fish in the tank if they feel trapped.

zdrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stick with only 2 fish. Tailspot blenny is a good little tank addition. My wife wants a RG for her Fluval. Just get one really small. Petco usually has tiny ones.
I second the tailspot blenny. This is what I plan on getting for my 12 gallon. Also, check out the Yasha Goby. Really attractive goby that is quite outgoing (at least from what I saw at the fish store).

OP
OP
J

James G abc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t keep a royal gramma in such a small system unless you’re planning to upgrade down the line at some point. They will get very territorial and attack every new addition to the tank until they’re gone.
Consider smaller less territorial fish. The tail spot blenny is a great little guy and will eat algae for you. If you’re looking for an open water swimmer you could get away with a pink streaked wrasse and the OSPrawn goby+pistol shrimp. As mentioned I wouldn’t get a damsel either, those are little devils who will also come after every other fish in the tank if they feel trapped.
How big of a tank would I need/how long (roughly) would it be until I’d need to upgrade? And how does the pink streak compare to something like a six line? I’ve never seen my LFS carry a Pink streak but every once in a while they get in a couple six lines.

Last edited:

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big of a tank would I need/how long (roughly) would it be until I’d need to upgrade? And how does the pink streak compare to something like a six line? I’ve never seen my LFS carry a Pink streak but every once in a while they get in a couple six lines.
I’d say about 5-6 months after the gramma has been in the small tank, it helps if you get them really tiny and that would probably give you 2 more months. The pink streak wrasse is much less aggressive and requires smaller less open space for them to be happy, 6lines on the other hand once they settle in they might start attacking everything in sight and not let any other fish eat at all. You also can ask you LFS to order the fish for you and have them hold the fish for 2 weeks to make sure they’re eating and healthy so they don’t die in your system.

gibec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meh.. some people including myself have been successful with 4 fishes in this tank. Although i must get rid of my diamond goby now since its getting a little too big. I would get someghing smaller, maybe yellow watchman.. if considering a sand sifterMy other fishes are 6line, clown fish, tailspot. My 6line was added last and was small when i added him. its peaceful with my other fish, they are actually buddies. I see then swim together sometimes and literally bump in to each other while minding their own business and they dont show aggression at all.
When it comes to the sixline there are a lot of people who think of all of them as super aggressive, but i would suggest not crossing the line there. Give it a shot see how it goes. Some are aggressive some are timid and some just have a I don't care attitude. Its tge luck of the draw. Since they are one of the most beautiful fish out there i think people should give them a chance before not even considering them.. imo. Important thing is to add 6line last and small one the better.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 63.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back